It's time for Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost) - Seems fixed with Nvidia 462.07 driver hotfix.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poopzone
x4

Re: It's time for Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost)

Post by Poopzone » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:03

Shepp wrote:
Sat, 30. Jan 21, 16:10
I just sat down to play X4 for an extended time after updating to the Beta 5 patch and the Nvidia 461.40 drivers. I didn't even get a chance to load a game before I got the access to physical device lost crash. I am running an RTX 3080. I can post the dump file of that would be useful.
MSI 3080RTX Gamingtrio connected with 2x cables into 3 separate 8(split)pin ports to Corsair AX1200i PSU (so, 2 cables from PSU, 1 cable is split among the first 2 8-pin ports and the 3rd port gets its own cable.
note: for troubleshooting I did try 3 separate cables and it had no effect on the frequency of crashes, but I couldn't close my tower side plate due to the bulk so I returned to my original cabling config)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:04

Poopzone wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 10:25
@Gavrushka are you seeing the same mega performance increase on beta 5? Prior to this I had assumed egosofts engine was just not capable of 90+fps and I was suddenly on a build where I had to set my 240hz monitor to 120hz to handle x4 framerates that were just not happening AT ALL before that build. edit . yeah a can see an mouse input problem is probably something easy to handle but whatever beta 5 did was INCREDIBLE framerate wise. It went from 25fps to 115fps average on my 3080. I booted up my laptop with a 1070 and tried the same build, same deal. it was 19fps in a space dock with the npc models, and then approached 60fps on beta 5. What the hell happened? This cannot be a "driver problem"
Sorry, missed this post.

I'm vsync limited during gameplay, but I do not see any drop offs in framerate at any time in any situation. - One thing I've noticed (under beta 5) is that the maximum power draw is down a ridiculous amount. - From just under 105%, I never pull more then 70% now. All the CPU cores (10700K, no overclock, but 240mm water cooled) stay under 50 Celsius! - I don't crash at all now, don't stutter or get micropauses and I would say that the combination of the new beta and (for me) the new driver has left me a happy chappy...

...and a very unhappy chappy too; if I'd known Egosoft were gonna pull this performance rabbit out of the hat, I'd not have spent GBP 2200+ on a new PC. :doh:
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:15

Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:04
Poopzone wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 10:25
@Gavrushka are you seeing the same mega performance increase on beta 5? Prior to this I had assumed egosofts engine was just not capable of 90+fps and I was suddenly on a build where I had to set my 240hz monitor to

...and a very unhappy chappy too; if I'd known Egosoft were gonna pull this performance rabbit out of the hat, I'd not have spent GBP 2200+ on a new PC. :doh:
Well, to counter that it's entriely possible that the v4 performance increases are mainly to access the capabilities of modern video hardware. It would be pretty silly if modern games are getting 200+fps and X4 was stuck with a 4-5 year old 60fps cap. So I doubt your new build went for nothing. But are you still getting the crashes on 4.0 beta 5? I am not seeing too many replies here from others so IDK if the beta is resolving the crashing like it did for me, or if my build has something odd about it. edit: and I'm sure the devs would like to know

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:24

Ah, I'd needed a new PC as my 2 year old one (I7 8700) had a mechanical drive, and it was a bottleneck in almost everything, including boot time! Comment about being unhappy was very, very tongue in cheek. I only maintain one PC for work and play, so the investment was worthwhile.

There are no crashes at all for me under beta 5. None! And, as I said prior, the power draw is so far down, I'm saving a fortune on electricity bills! - I think the absence of new reports underlines how this problem has either been seriously curtailed or even eliminated. It's human nature to report problems vociferously, but then channel Silent Bob when everything is working fine.

(And sorry for going off topic, @Alan! :) )

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 10:40

Poopzone wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 06:38
Updated my previous post with the requested info and correct beta ID.
I saw.

I got (since last weekend) a "MSI Suprim X RTX3080" and played for several hours yesterday.
Only rebooted once to adjust the BIOS fancurves to keep the temperatures down.
I also enabled VSync in the game-settings. (100Hz screen being fed 140+ FPS is a waste)
I have 3 seperate cables (fits and I specifically wanted this, leading to the additional wait)

Result:
No crashes

Further info:
Gentoo Linux (fully up-to-date, with a 5.10.10 kernel)
Nvidia driver 460.27.04
X4 3.30 (fully up-to-date as per 2021-01-31, NON-beta)

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 11:40

edit: realized this joke could be taken totally the wrong way. Didn't mean to bother anyone :oops:
Last edited by Poopzone on Wed, 3. Feb 21, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 11:56

Poopzone wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 11:40
ok Roeleveld idk iDK what do say. WE SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT THE GAME WORKS OK IN A LINUX CONTEXT? my UBUNTU WORTSTATION HANDLES THE THOSE PROBLEMS.
There is no need to respond like this.

I've worked in development in the past and, in my opinion, more info is always better.
Especially in situation where issues don't consistently occur, seeing both reports where issues do and don't happen can help in isolating possible locations in the code.

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 12:50

Roeleveld I did not mean to harm you personally, I manages to ubuntu run with game save just to save if it would hurt. I ended up with no crash and just going back to windows 10 gaming. I wish I should just use the linux Logitect drivers. I really think egosoft wants to support linux in the long term... Experimentally I have been able to run the game with Debian distro. But I cannot make this useful to those just running normal DirectxAPI.

I hope in the future we can have open access to the api for open source use, timon says below VVV this is not up to egosoft! The api needs to be properly licensed...
Last edited by Poopzone on Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:06

@Roeleveld: it is useful info, thanks
#OT: a fully free-software/hardware ecosystem is the only path out-of-the-hell;) Unfortunately that's very long-term a.k.a. it takes time and effort (from all ends);p

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 15:39

Poopzone wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 12:50
Roeleveld I did not mean to harm you personally, I manages to ubuntu run with game save just to save if it would hurt. I ended up with no crash and just going back to windows 10 gaming. I wish I should just use the linux Logitect drivers. I really think egosoft wants to support linux in the long term... Experimentally I have been able to run the game with Debian distro. But I cannot make this useful to those just running normal DirectxAPI.
X4 (and other games) should simply work, regardless of which OS the player prefers. Unfortunately, that is difficult to achieve, even when using a "cross-platform" method like Java. (Egosoft, please do NOT even consider this as an option! :lol: )

I hope in the future we can have open access to the api for open source use, timon says below VVV this is not up to egosoft! The api needs to be properly licensed...
Personally, I don't care too much about drivers being open or closed. Same goes for the libraries implementing the APIs, but the API should be the same across different platforms.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 15:45

timon37 wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:06
@Roeleveld: it is useful info, thanks
#OT: a fully free-software/hardware ecosystem is the only path out-of-the-hell;) Unfortunately that's very long-term a.k.a. it takes time and effort (from all ends);p
Timon, I think hardware and software vendors do have the right to charge money for their products.
But the APIs should be standardized and not dependent on which hardware or software someone is using.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 16:06

Can we stay on topic in here, please? This thread is for dealing with a specific game issue that affects a number of people, not philosophical discussions about software design and licencing. :)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 17:53

Anybody who still has issues please try beta 6 viewtopic.php?f=192&t=405397
Anybody who has some power/clock workaround feel free to try "undoing" them and trying beta 6.
And please report whatever you tried and what the outcome was (both positive and negative).

H.E.I.N.Z.
x4

Post by H.E.I.N.Z. » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 20:54

tested the new Beta 6 - the game is now starting with the standard boost curve and I could play for an hour until the game crashed. With 3.3 the game was immedeately crashing when I started the game.

So the game is much more stable now but it looks like the game will still crash sooner or later (Iam using a 3090 RTX + Ryzen 5900X).

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 03:23

Linux Kidding aside, I'm glad we got more people having cards that don't crash. Hopefully they can narrow down the problem for everyone with a wider base of hardware without trouble. I'm going to give beta 6 a shot just to see if it's still stable for me.

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 04:58

No trouble so far with 4.0 beta 6, I noted quicksave games are finished loading when the animated progress throbber says 60% (!), this represents almost 2x faster save loading time as before it usually sat at 99% for a while. Approx 30 seconds load time on a 2TB ssd.
===========================================
edit here we go: Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost)

I am sorry to report 4.0 beta 6 has has two crashes moving from beta 5 after installing beta 6.

To report hardware info again (no overclock):
Intel 6950X , 3080GTX from MSI brand (like this matters). 64GB RAM and 1200watt Corsair PSU. If you need my dxdiag please refer to previous posts. I think I'm done here with trying to troubleshoot this problem, good luck friends, I hope egosoft can get the game to be stable.

From my perspective after trying each new Nvidia driver in combination only egosoft beta version 5 has had any help to keep the game stable. I'm locking my game to beta 5 since I had over 40 hours without a crash. EGOSOFT: if you want to ping me about ramdumps (if tools exist) or such I'd be happy to help but IDK what else to do to help you resolve this crash problem.

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 08:10

Checking in again, no crashes on 4.0 beta 6. 30 SERIES team I hope everything works out but it seems the beta resolved all crashes for me. Thanks to egosoft again for resolving this problem in the beta. I have not changed my nvidia driver but the beta 5 and 6 has made the game totally different in performance, not just in reliability but also FPS perfrormance.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 08:38

As an additional note, despite the huge increase in performance, the power draw is down considerably, with my 3070 usually drawing only 25% power, peaking at around 70% as opposed to the 104.xx% previously.

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 09:17

@Gavrushk hi5 so you are seeing at least some of the performance increases? I was starting to think my build was weird in some way on these beta versions.
I'm willing to endure a very rare crash if the game seems usually stable, so far beta 5 and 6 are more stable than anything else.

I tried tonight to create the typical crash situations but I could not reproduce the problem.

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 10:57

OK team what to you need from us? We are here to help. Ping me back on friday

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”