[XR and X4] Problem setting strafe with an X52 pro joystick - does not read an axis - Explained.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alessandrofavero
x4

[XR and X4] Problem setting strafe with an X52 pro joystick - does not read an axis - Explained.

Post by alessandrofavero » Sun, 7. Feb 21, 14:30

Translated with Google

I hope it is the correct section;

Vanilla game with Beta 4.6 HF1

I state 2 things:
1) the joystick works correctly.
2) the problem does not arise with X4 but already from XR, while with the previous chapters the problem does not arise.

I find it very useful to set the movement of strafe, both vertical and horizontal, with the switch of the POV.

As you can see from this image the switch works regularly ... in the image above it is at rest, in the image below moved to the right.
I have not put the photos but function in both axes and diagonals.

The problem is that in the configuration of the controls within the game, when I check the box of the strafe and activate the switch of the POV to assign it, the game does not "hear" the command

In this screenshot I am activating the POV but as you can see the game does not read it
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone, chi capisce il codice binario e chi non lo capisce!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 32 Gb RAM, MB ASUS TUF, NVIDIA Originale GeForce RTX 3070TI, Dedicated Memory: 8Gb

Roeleveld
x4

Re: [XR and X4] Problem setting strafe with an X52 pro joystick ... does not read an axis.

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 8. Feb 21, 09:43

From what I see, it looks like your HAT-switch is digital (on/off) instead of analog.
You are trying to set it in the "analog" control section.

Try setting it in the "digital" section a little lower. (Where the default is linked to the WASD-keys)
I would suggest using the 2nd setting option for that (the column on the right) to keep the WASD-keys for when walking around stations and ships.

alessandrofavero
x4

Re: [XR and X4] Problem setting strafe with an X52 pro joystick ... does not read an axis.

Post by alessandrofavero » Mon, 8. Feb 21, 11:22

Roeleveld wrote:
Mon, 8. Feb 21, 09:43
From what I see, it looks like your HAT-switch is digital (on/off) instead of analog.

Try setting it in the "digital" section a little lower. (Where the default is linked to the WASD-keys)
I would suggest using the 2nd setting option for that (the column on the right) to keep the WASD-keys for when walking around stations and ships.
can I tell you that right now I feel very stupid :doh: :doh: :doh: :oops: :oops: :oops: ???

I had not considered that the X52 pro is analog but the switches are digital !!!!

thank you :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I was going crazy for this thing !!!!!
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone, chi capisce il codice binario e chi non lo capisce!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 32 Gb RAM, MB ASUS TUF, NVIDIA Originale GeForce RTX 3070TI, Dedicated Memory: 8Gb

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 8. Feb 21, 11:29

alessandrofavero wrote:
Mon, 8. Feb 21, 11:22
Roeleveld wrote:
Mon, 8. Feb 21, 09:43

can I tell you that right now I feel very stupid :doh: :doh: :doh: :oops: :oops: :oops: ???
Join the club, others have missed those as well.
I had not considered that the X52 pro is analog but the switches are digital !!!!
HAT-switches often are digital.
Easy way to find out: Clicky-sound/feeling = digital, smooth movement = analog

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Sat, 13. Feb 21, 10:33

alessandrofavero wrote:
Mon, 8. Feb 21, 11:22

Don't feel stupid, I struggled with this back in X2 and X3, but here's a good way to handle it if you want to use Hat strafing, you ususally strafe left and right and not so much up and down, so if you use the X52 software to create a mapping (it supports 8 directions even if the game only supports 4) you can use the diagonals (milliseconds macro) to tweak to pulse between up/left and down/left to create the kind of "drift" you want, and the same with up/right and down/right at millsecond intervals to fake x4 into thinking you're just rapidly adjusing a digital control. I know it's not easy to set up but it can help given that most useful strafing is done in the LR axis rather than the Up/Down axis.

==========
UL ^ UR

<< xx >>

DL V DR
==========
So you can set up X52 Hat macros to represent fake analog data for the ORDINAL directions by making them hit {up then left repeatedly} to fake actually moving Up+Left, creating , in-effect the game move you diagonally by using a macro the just enters UP,LEFT,UP,LEFT,UP,LEFT repeatedly while the Hat switch is held. I used this with my X52 back in X2 and X3 to fake diagonal strafing very effectively.

The only other option I found was to go ahead and do what I did $$$ buy the Logitech x56, which actually does have one analog Thumb Hat and it is mappable in X4. (Note to Logitech, if you made a stick with every hat analog I would pay $500 for it, even if as low quality as the X56 is)

Ironically Egosoft has made incredible improvements with axis mapping for general analog devices but there's still some way to go for emulating analog the way something like A flight sim does. But I guess we have to keep in mind most players are still using keyboard and mouse, or an xbox controller....

Just wait until you want your throttle to stop your ship in the neutral position, but x4 isn't natively supporting bi-directional throttle bias thrust. X4 does let you use bi-directional throttle (push the thing forward to go and pull it back to reverse), but it forces a 50% neutral point and does NOT let you pick the neutral point even though the max forward speed of most ships like a Jaguar might be 1000m/s and the max reverse speed might be 10m/s, you still only get a half axis mapping by the game. (where you want to pick forward thrust to be 85% of throttle axis travel and only 15% to be negative axis travel, as would be natural, I think, to anyone who has stepped on a gas pedal in a car.), and of course the way every other sim does. So the reverse half of your throttle is ridiculously and unnecessarily accurate and the forward half may as well not even be analog.

And I think we can forget about setting an analog acceleration curve, maybe that will be an option in "Egosoft's x7:re-foundations 20X6". No matter what adjustments you make to your controllers, the game graphical indicators treat your throttle like it has 95 reverse positions and 5 forward ones even though for most ships it should be the exact opposite. :rant:
:D I'm working on a guide to work around these problems but I still have not completely resolved the problem for HOTAS situations.

I hope this helps to use the X52 better and feel free to ping me with any questions. If anything useful comes about I will repost here.

alessandrofavero
x4

Re: [XR and X4] Problem setting strafe with an X52 pro joystick - does not read an axis - Explained.

Post by alessandrofavero » Sat, 13. Feb 21, 16:44

uhm ... I don't remember having had problems with the diagonal for the strafe in x3 .... I set it in the left pov of the joystick ... interesting the use of macros to recreate the diagonal movement. .. but the strafe is not at a constant speed but with a minimum of acceleration ... the macro still works then?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”