3.30 BUG(?) Anti-Aliasing Not Functioning Properly

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Eibhleann
x3ap

3.30 BUG(?) Anti-Aliasing Not Functioning Properly

Post by Eibhleann » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 16:51

Information requested in the Technical Support FAQ:
  • Game Version 3.30 (416228)
  • Language: English
  • Gamestart: Any Gamestart
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel @ 2133MHz (15-15-15-36)
  • Mainboard: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5-C5
  • GPU: 8GB VRAM nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
  • GPU Driver Version: 461.40 (Latest at time of post)
  • DxDiag Output
  • VulkanInfo Output
Essentially, no matter which form of Anti-Aliasing I apply, any kind of hard edge has extremely visible, flickery jagged edges and it looks really gross, almost as if everything is moving when it shouldn't be.
It's least noticeable (though not fixed) on SSAA, but naturally, that also destroys my framerate as SSAA is quite heavy.
I've tried all sorts of graphical combinations in the game settings as well as trying to force settings in nVidia Control Panel to no avail.
I've recorded three short videos in the very beginning of the flight training tutorial to show examples of the problem with FXAA Medium, MSAA 4x, and SSAA 4x enabled.

Thank you in advance for your time in reading this, and hopefully we can get this thing solved!
Last edited by Eibhleann on Fri, 19. Feb 21, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Skeeter
x3

Re: 3.30 BUG(?) Anti-Aliasing Not Functioning Properly

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 21:00

Its a known issue, everyone has it but ego havent fixed it yet. Someone on forum brought it up and fixed a character alising issue with adjusting a shader iirc, ego needs to do it so all aliasing errors are fixed.

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=432275&p=4999541& ... g#p4999541
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3Wlev8XG4

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=431967&p=4996724& ... g#p4996724
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=431741&p=4995827& ... g#p4995827
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 19. Feb 21, 01:53

Is it possible you could take a few screenshots showing the aliasing at those settings? Currently anyone without a high resolution display might not be able to see them properly. Assuming that they even show correctly in a video since videos often use chroma down sampling.

When viewing the videos on a 1080p display the main aliasing issue appeared to be with texture filtering which is not affected by anti-aliasing. However this is likely a result of the video being downsampled for display at a lower resolution.

Eibhleann
x3ap

Post by Eibhleann » Fri, 19. Feb 21, 17:16

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 19. Feb 21, 01:53
Is it possible you could take a few screenshots showing the aliasing at those settings? Currently anyone without a high resolution display might not be able to see them properly. Assuming that they even show correctly in a video since videos often use chroma down sampling.

When viewing the videos on a 1080p display the main aliasing issue appeared to be with texture filtering which is not affected by anti-aliasing. However this is likely a result of the video being downsampled for display at a lower resolution.

I mainly was referring to the funky flickering movement you can see in the video, and it looks pretty much the same in the 1080p output I linked above as it does in the actual live 2560x1440 gameplay. But here's some screenshots pointing to the most noticeable areas:
Jace's room
Start of the combat tutorial

If the problem is indeed due to texture-filtering, how do I solve it?

Also... Shortly after beginning playing, my framerate absolutely bombed. I can barely get above 25fps even on minimum settings with my hardware, compared to hitting well over 100+ in the space portions of the tutorial and sitting at a pretty 70+ in the room with Jace. Is there something I can do to remedy this?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Feb 21, 17:47

Just a hint that bringing up a separate fps and game performance issue in a graphics issue thread will probably not have the correct dev see it. It is best to start a different thread for that performance issue and just copy over the DxDiag and Vulkaninfo links from your opening post here. Any information that you can add about what change or situation may have first appeared to trigger the performance loss would be useful.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Eibhleann
x3ap

Post by Eibhleann » Fri, 19. Feb 21, 19:36

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 19. Feb 21, 17:47
Just a hint that bringing up a separate fps and game performance issue in a graphics issue thread will probably not have the correct dev see it. It is best to start a different thread for that performance issue and just copy over the DxDiag and Vulkaninfo links from your opening post here. Any information that you can add about what change or situation may have first appeared to trigger the performance loss would be useful.
I wasn't sure if I'd get yelled at for posting another so soon, but I've gone ahead and posted a new thread for the FPS issues here. Thanks!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 20. Feb 21, 03:11

Eibhleann wrote:
Fri, 19. Feb 21, 17:16
I mainly was referring to the funky flickering movement you can see in the video, and it looks pretty much the same in the 1080p output I linked above as it does in the actual live 2560x1440 gameplay. But here's some screenshots pointing to the most noticeable areas:
Maybe those are related to lighting. This would explain why anti-aliasing is not helping much with them since that mostly helps reduce aliasing along discontinuous geometry and not when sharp changes in lighting occur.

Is this still a problem in 4.00 beta? Since major changes to graphics are being made.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 20. Feb 21, 07:23

Its been like this for everyone imperal since 1.0, its nothing new.

Ego just needs to impliment specular aa.

See the two videos at the bottom of this link, for an example of what the issue is with their lighting/spec and if fixed what it could be like.
http://marcel-schindler.weebly.com/blog ... i-aliasing

Maybe a good read for the dev in charge.
https://blog.selfshadow.com/2011/07/22/ ... -showdown/
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 11:22

With all the graphical improvements made since launch, I hope Egosoft will find the time to implement a new aa option as well. With the new (beautiful) volumetric fog, MSAA is a no-no due to the heavy performance hit in some places. FXAA, as implemented, is too blurry and still not very effective in removing aliasing. Perhaps Nvidia DLSS 2.0? :)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”