Unable to get ANY overlays for Vulkan to work with X4...

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Malakie
x4

Unable to get ANY overlays for Vulkan to work with X4...

Post by Malakie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:48

I have been trying to get an overlay to work with X4 for streaming reasons.. spent the last couple weeks on it.. Today I decided to try some other products that support Vulkan as well thinking I could use one of those for now.. Turns out I cannot get any tool that supports vulkan to work with X4 Foundations. I want to display certain information about my system and the game itself while streaming .. from FPS to details about the game (even a link for it) to temps and the sys info of my computer for viewers.. The tools all work perfectly for every other vulkan based game I have tried. X4 is the only one I cannot get any of them to work with on..

Anyone else find any tool that does by chance?

And to the devs, can you please look into this when you have time? I know it is not a priority.. but it would be nice to see this issue resolved.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: Unable to get ANY overlays for Vulkan to work with X4...

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 04:03

Not a whole solution to your problems but X4 has its own FPS counter: settings, controls, scroll down near the bottom and assign a key to it (I use Ctrl + F)

It shows up bottom right of the screen

And windows 10 Game bar (Windows key + G) works ok, one of the panels (which can be pinned to remain on screen) will show CPU % / GPU % / RAM used / VRAM used / FPS. On Win 10 20H2 the CPU % has a bug trying to also shows the CPU Ghz, currently it shows only the none boosted speed, so for example if your Intel I7 CPU dynamically ramps up for demand from say 2.6 Ghz to over 4 Ghz .. it still shows the base 2.6 Ghz (report submitted to microsoft).

Whatever else you are trying to use (not mentioned) .. I have no clue, but I do know some of them can be detrimental to the games performance themselves, so despite doing their best to show everything, will lower the games performance and display the degraded results. So they may be good for a before and after comparison, but the game will ironically perform slightly better without them running.

Edit: Also mentioned in this topic viewtopic.php?f=180&t=420952 (Under "General suggestions", 4th bullet point)
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:50

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 04:03
Not a whole solution to your problems but X4 has its own FPS counter: settings, controls, scroll down near the bottom and assign a key to it (I use Ctrl + F)

It shows up bottom right of the screen

And windows 10 Game bar (Windows key + G) works ok, one of the panels (which can be pinned to remain on screen) will show CPU % / GPU % / RAM used / VRAM used / FPS. On Win 10 20H2 the CPU % has a bug trying to also shows the CPU Ghz, currently it shows only the none boosted speed, so for example if your Intel I7 CPU dynamically ramps up for demand from say 2.6 Ghz to over 4 Ghz .. it still shows the base 2.6 Ghz (report submitted to microsoft).

Whatever else you are trying to use (not mentioned) .. I have no clue, but I do know some of them can be detrimental to the games performance themselves, so despite doing their best to show everything, will lower the games performance and display the degraded results. So they may be good for a before and after comparison, but the game will ironically perform slightly better without them running.

Edit: Also mentioned in this topic viewtopic.php?f=180&t=420952 (Under "General suggestions", 4th bullet point)
I am running a powerful rig so performance not an issue for me.

i9-9900k
48 gb ram + 32 gb intel optane cache
2 x m.2 SSD, 2 x NVDM
Tobii 5 Eye and Head Tracking
x56 Rhino Hotas
Asus Raid DLX 7.1 Surround

Windows 10 run in 3840 x 2160 UHD 4K

I don't use the windows game bar. Not a fan of it. I was not aware of the built in FPS counter though so will try that one.. But another tool I do use, is kick ass nice ... and between me and the devs of that tool, we have not been able to get it to work with X4 for some reason... FPS Monitor is that tool and I can display every bit of system information you can possibly imagine to either desktop or a game overlay and even alter it in real time.. I really want to get that tool working in X4 because those that watch my streams love being able to see the system data, from FPS to heat/temps to my AIO speeds etc, in real time as I play...

Thanks for the reply and will use the built in one for now.. but hopefully maybe Egosoft might be able to offer up something the FPS Monitor guys might try to get their tool to work...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:44

afterburner works ok for me, are you using fullscreen btw or the other modes as maybe thats it?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 21:58

Skeeter wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:44
afterburner works ok for me, are you using fullscreen btw or the other modes as maybe thats it?
Yea I used to use Afterburner but I got rid of that because it causes to many other problems, especially with old games. Many old games you have to black list in the server to get them to work if you are running afterburner... I finally had enough of that so am moving to other tools..

NOTE to devs: Please give us a way to increase text size for things like the FPS counter.. In 3840x2160 the text is literally so small it cannot be read during streaming or unless I have a magnifying glass with me.. LOL Could use a way to increase or decrease the size of its display.. thanks..
Take it light.....

Malakie

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 5. Mar 21, 03:52

Yeah I don't think it responds to the games Settings UI scale either. I have the game UI scale at 1.1, tried the FPS counter in UI scale 1.2 and it looks to be the same size (I'm using Screen resolution at 1366x768 for my old eyes, not just performance, to make the games fonts bigger in the UI sidebars for Property etc). I think Egosoft may be working on higher res screens with good eyesight).
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Fri, 5. Mar 21, 21:00

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Fri, 5. Mar 21, 03:52
Yeah I don't think it responds to the games Settings UI scale either. I have the game UI scale at 1.1, tried the FPS counter in UI scale 1.2 and it looks to be the same size (I'm using Screen resolution at 1366x768 for my old eyes, not just performance, to make the games fonts bigger in the UI sidebars for Property etc). I think Egosoft may be working on higher res screens with good eyesight).
lol yea they must be.. because I can't hardly see some of the text like the FPS counter when I am in 4k... and the ui scale does not seem to be functional ...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 6. Mar 21, 11:24

If u use steam version you can use steams fps counter, it should be bigger than the -showfps command foe x4 counter.

https://www.howtogeek.com/706145/how-to ... -pc-games/
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 7. Mar 21, 06:18

Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 6. Mar 21, 11:24
If u use steam version you can use steams fps counter, it should be bigger than the -showfps command foe x4 counter.

https://www.howtogeek.com/706145/how-to ... -pc-games/

I use GOG primarily because the Steam copy I have is test the testing builds... I use GOG's version to do my own personal games, mods etc and keep Steams version setup for the testing that way I don't have to keep changing things up etc.
Take it light.....

Malakie

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”