[4.0 HF2] Crash when screen energy saving activates

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cyberfuzzie
x4

[4.0 HF2] Crash when screen energy saving activates

Post by cyberfuzzie » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 22:26

Had to leave the game idle for some time due to a phone call. After 10 Minutes (the time I have configured after which windows turns off the screen) the screen turned black (as expected) and the game crashed.
I repeated the test again, and just waited the 10 Minutes in the menu, same result.

This error dialog appeared, no troubleshooting page in browser though:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rfWnb2 ... sp=sharing

DxDiag:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EzEmAE ... sp=sharing

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [4.0 HF2] Crash when screen energy saving activates

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 22:45

You are using a non-standard and non-WHQL driver for your Realtek onboard sound chipset. There may be a reason for that but Realtek do provide their own WHQL drivers and updates.

If your pagefile is on your C: drive then there isn't enough free room for it.

The crash page says it is a Vulkan issue but maybe also consider the way your system set up interacts between display shutdown and system/card sleep or power-saving (ie system/card on awakening has no awake display, or vice-versa). Just a thought as my PC sometimes struggles to recover from sleep to display a high graphics app running in pause.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

cyberfuzzie
x4

Post by cyberfuzzie » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 12:03

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are right, there is indeed a reason for me using that specific sound driver. With the default realtek driver I can't use all features of the chip, most notably dolby digital live. I have a 5.1 sound system, and I very much like the engine sounds coming from the back.

I made enough room on C: for the page file, but that didn't change anything. Windows is anyhow hardly using that pagefile, since I usually have enough RAM.

I"m not sure what to make of the third point. Is there anything I can try to improve the situation (except disabling the screen turning off)?

My main intention with the post was to provide more insight to the circumstances under which this specific crash happens. I usually don't leave the game running without actually playing, so only rarely I'm actually affected by this.

cyberfuzzie
x4

Post by cyberfuzzie » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 20:38

While testing another issue, I realized that only the latest AMD driver version, 21.3.1, is affected by this. After reverting back to the previous driver, 21.2.3, the game continues running as expected.

Here the vulkaninfo files both for the old and the new driver:

Old, 21.2.3, working:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mm6I7H ... sp=sharing

New, 21.3.1, buggy:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iYtjLg ... sp=sharing

Since the newer driver has other issues as well (frequent light flashes, which are not supposed to be there, separate report follows soon), for the time being I will stay on the old driver. I would appreciate however, if this gets fixed, either with a game update or a new driver, depending on where the issue is.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 18:32

Couldn't reproduce this one either, maybe try updating windows and/or doing a clean driver install.
Besides that I'll need your config.xml file from Documents\Egosoft\X4\<steamuserid>

cyberfuzzie
x4

Post by cyberfuzzie » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:55

Please see this post for a description of updates to my system, and a link to the config.xml:
viewtopic.php?p=5041206#p5041206

The system updates did not make the issue go away, game still crashes as before.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”