Performance issues - Much improved in 4.10 beta.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SirBerrial
x4

Performance issues - Much improved in 4.10 beta.

Post by SirBerrial » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 13:56

I have started encountering issues described below:
After playing for some time, graphic artefacts start appearing in the form of corrupted or missing textures or corrupted or missing geometry.
This is usually the result of not having at least 3 GB of free dedicated graphic memory for X4 to use. Background applications such as browsers might use graphic memory reducing the amount available for X4 to use. If playing at a resolution higher than 1080p then X4 may require more free graphic memory. If using an older GPU with only 2 GB of dedicated memory, consider upgrading to a more modern or second hand one with 4 GB or more of dedicated graphic memory.
But here is a problem: I dont have 3 gigs of vram, I have eleven. DxDiag:
https://mega.nz/file/ophh3ACQ#awsHkSBpz ... nhtOAG9mCo

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Performance issues.

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 14:09

The DXDiag is fine, but without know what situation you are in within your game, it's going to be really hard to make any kind of relevant suggestion, or even to determine whether what you're seeing is to be expected or not. If it's happening when you first start the game then that would be strange; if it only happens when you're in a sector with a huge station consisting of hundreds of modules, and you open the map, that's something we're aware of and are looking at ways to improve on. An unmodified savegame where you can reproduce the problem easily would be the quickest way to show us. :)

cdeeks
x3tc

Post by cdeeks » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 01:37

Overclock CPU. Enable XMP in bios (A must), disable cpy hyperthreading (X4 runs great on single core best cpus) , disable specter protection on your CPU. , Run full screen and make sure your GPU is running at max speed. Follow all steps here viewtopic.php?t=420952#p4903128 (Spectre link). I went from lows of 9fps to max of 120 fps by doing all this stuff. Ohh and turn off shadows and Volumetric fog.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 10:25

SirBerrial wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 13:56
But here is a problem: I dont have 3 gigs of vram, I have eleven. DxDiag:
If the artefacting occurs in empty space or a fresh game start then does the artefacting issue exist at 1080p and lower visual settings? Your GPU should be more than capable of handling X4 at 4k at high settings. If the issue does exist in a fresh start at lower settings then try different graphic driver versions in case it is a bug with one of them. Check the GPU manufacturer's website in case there is a firmware update for the GPU that improves its stability. Otherwise such artefacting could be a sign that the GPU is running at an unstable frequency or is defective.
cdeeks wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 01:37
Overclock CPU.
I do not see how this is related to visual artefacting. Additionally being a 3900X there is very little performance to gain from overclocking.
cdeeks wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 01:37
disable cpy hyperthreading (X4 runs great on single core best cpus) , disable specter protection on your CPU
Does not really apply to the topic creator because they use an AMD CPU which neither has Hyperthreading or requires significant spectre mitigations. AMD CPU's equivalent to Hyperthreading is Simultanious Multithreading (SMT). SMT, like Hyperthreading, should be left on unless you know what you are doing. The operating system automatically avoids using both HT/SMT virtual cores per physical core while there are still unused physical cores available, which will mostly be the case for the topic creator as they have 12 physical cores.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 12:20

Issue seems to occur if the game is left running for 3+ hours, sometimes in the background with no input on my current save. New game behaves like that as well, as I've made a fresh save and left it running with no inputs overnight after dropping the ship in the circular highway. GPU seems to be doing fine outside of x4. I tried lowering the resolution (not sure if I tried 1080p or 1440p), but the game behaved the same way. Its not exactly game-breaking, but restarting the game with its save and load times to fix it is kind of annoying.

Cant give a save right now, but if its needed, I'll post it later.

cdeeks
x3tc

Post by cdeeks » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 14:54

Does not really apply to the topic creator because they use an AMD CPU which neither has Hyperthreading nor requires significant specter mitigations. AMD CPU's equivalent to Hyperthreading is Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT). SMT, like Hyperthreading, should be left on unless you know what you are doing. The operating system automatically avoids using both HT/SMT virtual cores per physical core while there are still unused physical cores available, which will mostly be the case for the topic creator as they have 12 physical cores.
Kinda contrary to the official ES performance guide thread many disable HT or SMT as I am always an intel man i know not much about AMD. All i can say for sure is I have a powerful system and x4 was running like dog, I did the steps above and it is running better than most of my games now as i say 110 fps i would never have dreamed of in x4.

Just for context, i have i7700k OC 4.8, 16gb 4000mhz ram DDR4 although my Mobo only allows for a max bus speed of 3700 but more than enough. and i got a GTX1070 8GB DDR 5 so as you can see i should be able to eat X4 for breakfast on this and it was running at 9 fps in some situations. so don't try my tips sir if you don't want to but i highly recommend u do or at least if you don't feel confident try to get a friend to do for you. Also if you have a faulty GPU not to be the bearer of bad news but GPU prices are an absolute joke atm with all that is going on so i hope for your sake it ain't a hardware problem.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 29. Jun 21, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.

cdeeks
x3tc

Post by cdeeks » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 14:58

SirBerrial wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 12:20
Issue seems to occur if the game is left running for 3+ hours, sometimes in the background with no input on my current save. New game behaves like that as well, as I've made a fresh save and left it running with no inputs overnight after dropping the ship in the circular highway. GPU seems to be doing fine outside of x4. I tried lowering the resolution (not sure if I tried 1080p or 1440p), but the game behaved the same way. Its not exactly game-breaking, but restarting the game with its save and load times to fix it is kind of annoying.

Cant give a save right now, but if its needed, I'll post it later.
Also might be worth installing some hardware monitoring software like cpuz or HWID to keep you eye on the temps and speeds might be useful to attach a screenshot at the time of artifacts .

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 19:11

SirBerrial wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 12:20
Issue seems to occur if the game is left running for 3+ hours, sometimes in the background with no input on my current save.
How is GPU video memory usage like around the time the artefacting starts? Some background applications like web browsers with a lot of tabs open can end up using a lot of video memory.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 19:23

Cooling is not an issue. HWiNFO is always running in the background, and there was nothing wrong with the temps when artifacting started. Also neither GPU, nor CPU go above 80 under synthetic load, tested with Cinebench for CPU and Furmark for GPU.
How is GPU video memory usage like around the time the artefacting starts? Some background applications like web browsers with a lot of tabs open can end up using a lot of video memory.
I do have a browser with a youtube podcast open in the background most of the time. But the overnight test was done without browser running in the background.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 16:58

5.9 gigs of VRAM used when graphics started to break. Temp is stable 50°C ingame.

Current save, if needeed:
https://mega.nz/file/d4YkEBiR#I_VWeRGVn ... nMWc4nVd5o

Edit:
Too minor for its own topic, but still worth mentioning.
Sometimes ships appear to be rendered behind clouds, when they really shouldn't be.
Mammoth in the middle of the picture attached is an example:

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 00:23

Is there a threshold of video memory usage that when passed the graphic corruption starts? Finding what triggers it might help to locate the cause.
SirBerrial wrote:
Sun, 18. Apr 21, 16:58
Sometimes ships appear to be rendered behind clouds, when they really shouldn't be.
Mammoth in the middle of the picture attached is an example:
This might have to do with the fade in logic. Distant objects like ships will fade into view to avoid pop-in. As this involves transparency, it is possible some shader effects might not appear correctly, especially if semi-transparent objects are stacked.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 01:47

Sorry for (probably) necroing, but it seems like beta fixed most of my issues. Map still loses ship markers and background textures during long sessions and shadows seem to be somewhat wonky on the large stations, but that seems to be it. Right now my game was left running for 50+ hours with no broken models.

InsOnix
x4

Re: Performance issues - Much improved in 4.10 beta.

Post by InsOnix » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 16:20

Запустил игру после обновления 4.10. FPS падает до 5-20. До этого играл (месяца 3 назад) при аналогичных настройках выдавало 45-60 FPS. Аж грустно стало.

Launched the game after update 4.10. FPS drops to 5-20. Before that, I played (about 3 months ago) with similar settings, it produced 45-60 FPS. It became already sad.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 16:39

InsOnix wrote:
Tue, 29. Jun 21, 16:20
Launched the game after update 4.10. FPS drops to 5-20. Before that, I played (about 3 months ago) with similar settings, it produced 45-60 FPS. It became already sad.
Please report this in the Public Beta Feedback forum in its own thread with the required information. This helps the developers track and fix issues with the beta.

If your playthrough is unmodified then please supply the save game and recreation instructions for the developers to encounter such poor performance. If the playthrough is modified, then there is a good chance one of the mods or changes made by the mod has a bug that is causing the performance issues.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 17:48

InsOnix wrote:
Tue, 29. Jun 21, 16:20
Запустил игру после обновления 4.10. FPS падает до 5-20. До этого играл (месяца 3 назад) при аналогичных настройках выдавало 45-60 FPS. Аж грустно стало.

viewtopic.php?p=5067180#p5067180
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”