[6.00 HF2] Station managers not leveling up using XP mechanic

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

txhp
x4

[6.00 HF2] Station managers not leveling up using XP mechanic

Post by txhp » Mon, 1. May 23, 20:23

I have a vanilla game started on 6.00 as Queen's Herald, updated since to 6.00 HF2, now with aprox 2,5 days in-game.

I established my first station (e.cell production) aprox 28 hours ago. I recruited a low-rate manager with two stars in morale and gave them two stars in management via seminars. Now 28h has passed and they've accumulated almost 50mil credits in sales, directly to AI and via 12 subordinates. They have not gained a single level up during this whole time. I also have a second solar power plant with the exact same issue, with aprox 11 hours on the clock and over 17mil in generated income, with 12 subordinates and zero XP gained - so not a unique case in my game. Normally I would have expected the first manager to be around high-fours to five stars in level, and second to be high-three to four stars.

To me it seems the game is not working correctly, or at least is working drastically differently from versions prior to 6.00. I hope these details get you somewhere. If need be I will try to share the save file with you.

EDIT: Added a link to the save file to be expeditious

EDIT 2: Since it has turned out that my station managers in TER space gain levels normally. The only difference between TER stations and Commonwealth solar power plants is the trade unit value, so the question now is BUG or WAI?

SAVE FILE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SMVK5A ... sp=sharing

Roxxlive

Re: [6.00 HF2] Station managers not leveling up using XP mechanic

Post by Roxxlive » Thu, 18. Apr 24, 18:34

I have the exact same thing happening with my Solar Powerplant. Manger not passing 2 Stars for Days

db48x
x4

Post by db48x » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 10:44

I’ll interject to say that X4 doesn’t have an XP mechanic. Many games award XP when an action is completed successfully. Characters that accumulate enough XP can then gain levels. X4 doesn’t work that way; instead every successful action results in a small random chance of gaining a level. This random chance goes down sharply as the character’s level increases.

The practical upshot is that it is expected for a character to sit at two stars forever, and never level up. Each time they complete an action they get a new chance to level up, but they can keep failing that random die roll over and over and it isn’t a bug. It’s merely bad luck. And even if you hire thousands of crew and they all complete actions at the same rate, it is unlikely that more than one or two of them in your entire game will reach four stars.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 11:28

Roxxlive wrote:
Thu, 18. Apr 24, 18:34
I have the exact same thing happening with my Solar Powerplant. Manger not passing 2 Stars for Days
As explained by the previous poster, that's not particularly unusual. However if you want to investigate something then, instead of digging up a year old thread and just essentially saying "me too", you need to start a new thread and provide the information requested at the top of the forum, including your savegame. Without that, we have no chance at all of diagnosing what's happening in your particular game.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 00:37

Make sure that the manager is selling a significant proposition of its inventory, ideally all of it with every trade. Make sure the manager is selling at above 75% price and buying below 25% price. Do this and you can easily create a management training school that levels up managers to max in a few minutes.

Selling energy cells at minimum price where each sale is 1/1,000th of the total offer will practically never level the manager up. It will likely hit a level cap of sorts as well due to the low roll from the bad pricing on top of the huge penalty from the small purchases.

Honestly I am not a fan of this levelling structure. I would prefer it if the roll fraction was based on the value sold, instead of the percentage of the total trade offer sold. This would allow a good correlation between manager rank and some amount of credits processed, rather than the current approach where successful stations might level poorly if they have any sort of sales buffer. Additionally selling price should all have maximum level cap, with good sales or purchases meaning on average less credits needing to be earnt or spent to reach a level.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”