[6.20] Station discounts don't function correctly, especially on trade stations.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mookau
x4

[6.20] Station discounts don't function correctly, especially on trade stations.

Post by Mookau » Sat, 9. Mar 24, 18:11

Version: 6.20
Language: English
Modified: No
Game Start: Budgeted Start

Problem:
Commission and discount bonuses apply to all wares bought or sold on trade stations, this has odd side effects, such as:
Hacking terminal on Trade stations gives no discount, removes existing ones, and prevents obtaining new ones.
Stacking a discount with the high relation discount, can cause a station to buy wares from the player for less than their minimum pice. This is obviously detrimental rather than beneficial.

How to Reproduce:
For the second (but related) issue:
  • 1. Get high reputation with a faction so that you have the reputation discount.
  • 2. Scan data leaks on a trade station until you obtain a decent discount.
  • 3. Check prices of wares. Some buy offers may be below the minimum price of a ware because both discounts have applied to buy orders, rather than only sell orders.
    (Example: Missile components are being bought below their minimum price.)
Save File:
Before discount, before hack (to show the prices before the discount):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ERzXPy ... sp=sharing

After discount, before hack (just check the prices, and then hack the panel after loading):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vn4VXh ... sp=sharing

Notes & Research:
This only appears to happen on trade stations. On stations that only buy and sell a limited amount of wares are unaffected, and commissions will only apply to buy orders, and discounts only to sell orders.
Though they do still apply discounts to all sold wares, and commissions to all bought wares, rather than just the ones that trigger the discount. So receiving the water shortage commission bonus on a station that buys wares water in addition to other wares will increase the price of all wares, not just water. Whether this too is a bug is hard to say.

It appears that because the hack discount gives both a commission and discount bonus at the same time, and due to the fact that commissions and discounts apply too all wares station wide on trade stations, they cancel each other out.
It looks to be a measure to prevent a station from selling a ware below what it is buying it for, stopping a player exploiting the discounts to make infinite money without ever leaving the station by buying and selling back the same ware. It could apply to other stations that both buy and sell any of the same wares, but I wasn't able to easily create that scenario on other AI faction stations to test.

My full research, and the reason I found this bug - My Steam FAQ

PV_
x4

Re: [6.20] Station discounts don't function correctly, especially on trade stations.

Post by PV_ » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 01:07

Btw, there is bug report that one of Boron trade stations allows that buy/sell exploit for infinite money earning. Perhaps devs will address issue described by you as part of fixing the bug...

Mookau
x4

Re: [6.20] Station discounts don't function correctly, especially on trade stations.

Post by Mookau » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 01:51

PV_ wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 24, 01:07
Btw, there is bug report that one of Boron trade stations allows that buy/sell exploit for infinite money earning. Perhaps devs will address issue described by you as part of fixing the bug...
Any more info on that one? I'm curious if it is a related issue.

PV_
x4

Post by PV_ » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 09:03

It was a challenge to find thread. Here we go:
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=457689

Mookau
x4

Post by Mookau » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 09:46

PV_ wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 24, 09:03
It was a challenge to find thread. Here we go:
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=457689
Ahh, so my assumption that the price fixing applies to stations that buy and sell the same wares was off the mark.

Well then, it could be that the bug fix for that (which looks like it was after 6.20, so wouldn't be in the current build yet), might fix some of the issues I pointed out, depending on how the devs implement it.
Though I suspect the hack/VIP discount removing all current and future discounts on trade stations would have been overlooked, because trade stations already implement price fixing (and is in no small part the cause of the issue).

Mookau
x4

Post by Mookau » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 08:37

Beep boop.

Apologies, I know bumping is generally frowned upon, but this issue persists even in the beta. I believe all the posts about bugs since the beta released have drowned this (and my other post) out a bit.

I do understand that the prices for both bought and sold wares have to adjust to avoid the player getting infinite money by simply buying and selling at the same station. But I believe there should be other solutions (like say the "water shortage" commission making it so that water is unable to be bought from the station, and only sold to it). At the very least, the terminal hack to get the VIP bonus should do something other than lock prices to the defaults forever, denying the player any other data leak discounts/commissions - perhaps make it only give the discount with no commission bonus, or vice versa.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”