Can't log into Egosoft account in 7.00 Beta - Resolved by changing DNS.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

InariFoxOrrion
x4

Can't log into Egosoft account in 7.00 Beta - Resolved by changing DNS.

Post by InariFoxOrrion » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 16:28

It registers my username and password but doesn't allow me to log in. I get the "Unable to connect" error when using my corrent ID/PW or an "Incorrect username/password" error when using anything else. There's nothing that should be causing this; I've currently tried downgrading from the beta to the live version, disabling my firewall, both at once, and so on - the error persists.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Can't log into Egosoft account in 7.00 Beta

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 16:36

It looks like you haven't linked your Steam account to your forum account.

InariFoxOrrion
x4

Post by InariFoxOrrion » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 16:57

Yeah, I was trying to see if unlinking my Steam account would help. It didn't, same issue.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 17:26

The logs show numerous successful login attempts, which suggests that the problem might be that your game isn't receiving the message that the login was successful in order to proceed to the next stage. Could there be another firewall in play, or any kind of traffic filtering on incoming data?

InariFoxOrrion
x4

Post by InariFoxOrrion » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 17:33

Nothing I can see; the firewall on my router's disabled completely, and the application-level firewall I use is also disabled. You gave me an idea - which was to use a VPN and then try - which worked, which tells me it's either an issue at the ISP or DNS level! Now, my ISP doesn't actually filter traffic for better or worse, or at least they say as much... and as of now I'm using the 8.8.4.4 and 1.0.0.1 as my DNS - respectively, Google's public DNS and CloudFlare's DNS as a backup. I'll try my ISP's DNS and report back, because if for some reason Google or CloudFlare are blocking that data I imagine it'll be important later.

Edit: Yeah using 9.9.9.9 (my ISP's default DNS) instead of 8.8.4.4 results in me logging in as normal. The game only uses TCP port 443 and UDP port 60k so I don't know why that'd happen. Thank you, and hopefully the info's useful for preventing some ambiguous issue in the future!

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 09:43

InariFoxOrrion wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 24, 17:33
Edit: Yeah using 9.9.9.9 (my ISP's default DNS) instead of 8.8.4.4 results in me logging in as normal. The game only uses TCP port 443 and UDP port 60k so I don't know why that'd happen. Thank you, and hopefully the info's useful for preventing some ambiguous issue in the future!
:o Thats a good choice for an ISP, ISP's usually want to (by default) lead you through their own DNS servers to gather data about you.

My own ISP is guilty of this and the Router they provide does not give you any setting to change from their own DNS servers.

So I bought my own Router and set it up to use 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) as my primary DNS on all machines, and Cloudflares 1.1.1.1 as backup Secondary DNS .. Quad9 has been very good since they started a few years ago.

Anyway just posting here to let you know Quad9 is a good choice if you had any doubts :), have a look at the statements on the website https://www.quad9.net/
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”