Egosoft, we need an official statement on this...

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

StoneLegionYT
x4

Re: Egosoft, we need an official statement on this...

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 04:25

I really hope multiplayer becomes a thing. There is so much backlash but most of it has always been unreasonable about it. Chilling with a mate in the X Universe I think is beyond awesome. Having a MMO Server would make me puke and kill myself. There is a difference in so many ways.

Clearly if they thought of MP They might designed the zones a lot better for this as well. Meaning that you don't need to sync all the data just what happens where you are at that time. The Map might be another story but it could work out really well for you and a friend to enjoy.

Also imagine running the server on a beastly machine CPU wise and have more performance not having to run the simulation locally but now your PC can focus on the rendering aspects.

This could end up being a X Fans wet dream even for single player purposes.

DancingPengiun
xr

Post by DancingPengiun » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:14

Yeah, there is a big difference between MMO and just wanting semi/co-op/group multiplayer (like Space Engineer).

The latter I don't mind (semi/co-op). They do what they want to do, this isn't some public investment company forbidden to do something they wanted to do decades ago at the whim of a few.

Sesk
x4

Re: Egosoft, we need an official statement on multiplayer...

Post by Sesk » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:27

I think right now their priority should be fixing bugs, addressing god issues with the stale universe/economy, improving the UX, expanding the amount of content such as weapons and ship diversity (visual and functional), and then working on adding the Split and Boron as part of content updates or the DLCs. Then maybe thinking about multiplayer.

Personally, I wouldn't play multiplayer since it seems to be community hosted servers, so flaky connections, flaky up time, flaky experience. And then what about mods, a pillar of the series? And what exactly does multiplayer add to the experience? PVP? Coop missions?
I rather have Egosoft put 5000 man hours into making the game that much better (see the key points listed about) instead of trying to implement multiplayer.
Maybe if they made the universe 10 times bigger and went MMORPG style with official, permanent, persistent servers, I could see some interest in having players setup stations and trading with each other.

Also, the thread title isn't great, should have contained the keyword "multiplayer" so Egosoft people wouldn't think this is some clickbait asking for something silly... like multiplayer :lol:

PS: This is assuming the method signatures aren't some relic of a "just for fun" Friday afternoon escapade by a "what if" developer.

VariousArtist
xr

Post by VariousArtist » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:08

Kids, grow up! Thats barely more than a test connection via sockets build into their game engine.
A skilled coder can build something like this (a simple networked chat via sockets) in just a few mins.

NovaKiller
x4

Post by NovaKiller » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:36

EGOSOFT's Priority is to fix the bugs of course it is, their not going to suddenly stop fixing everything to work on MP. What was found here was something they've probably been half developing along side the main game for a few years and is either a big feature coming or was canned at some point. Don't understand why people automatically assume that the devs are all of a sudden going to stop working on the main game to fix what's broken with the game because someone somewhere found a few references to MP in the settings screen and unlocked em. It's ridiculous guys. X games have, and always will be, singleplayer experiences and that ALWAYS be priority! A Side game mode for multiplayer would ONLY be there if you want it to play with friends or may be, an official server you could join.

I would personally love multiplayer, I wouldn't join an official server but I would however, LOVE to play with friends in the same universe building empires and creating wars together! how anyone would think that wouldn't be good, or fun, or enjoyable I have no idea if the SP is there for you to play instead. No Man's Sky doesn't do Multiplayer correctly, it plays very badly, its laggy, there can be some de-sync issues and even though everyone is supposed to be online, it never really feels like it and the 4-player restriction is a bit silly for as grand of a game that's supposed to be and X4 would definitely do it better in my opinion with a full proper coop experience.

I imagine this is going to be much further down the line if it ever comes at all, like a year away at least, they have big plans for content for this game and I imagine they would come first before ever implementing any sort of MP game mode but a great find on those screenshots showing the MP settings.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:37

Looks like it would at best be a way for a couple of folks to play together in an ad hoc way on a hosts save. Interesting but I can't see me using this feature without mods making the game more difficult or the like.

NovaKiller
x4

Post by NovaKiller » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:43

Baconnaise wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:37
Looks like it would at best be a way for a couple of folks to play together in an ad hoc way on a hosts save. Interesting but I can't see me using this feature without mods making the game more difficult or the like.
Personally, I think that's all they really intend any sort of MP to be about, having private games you invite friends to. To make this into an MMO, you would have to rework the entire economy system and back-engine stuff to accommodate an MMO.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 15:37

NovaKiller wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:43
Baconnaise wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 08:37
Personally, I think that's all they really intend any sort of MP to be about, having private games you invite friends to. To make this into an MMO, you would have to rework the entire economy system and back-engine stuff to accommodate an MMO.
Exactly. No way a game like X4 would be suitable for MMO, like at all, and I don't think the people at Egosoft don't know that.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 15:55

Sorry to disappoint you, but these functions were just experiments. The Online Features options will have further uses down the line, but these functions aren't among them.

Alewx
x4

Post by Alewx » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:11

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 15:55
Sorry to disappoint you, but these functions were just experiments. The Online Features options will have further uses down the line, but these functions aren't among them.
I just hope for you that it is nothing like buy a new paintjob for some real $.
I7 9900k 4GHz
RTX 3080TI
32GB Corsair
Win10 64bit

But now on a freaking fast SSD aber immernoch ziemlich lahm beim laden :(

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:16

CBJ wrote:
:( a private MP server for a view coop player like Freelancer would be cool!
ALLE X Spiele und alle Bücher!

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:18

Whew! Life is back to normal.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:32

Alewx wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:11
CBJ wrote:
I think they already said no micro-transactions.

Perahoky
x4

Post by Perahoky » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:39

hm. Groundhogs days stories.

I hope, someday in some dlc, multiplayer becomes part so i can ask a friend over steam "hey, would you like to join my universe and kill some xenon? i need help with this stupid mission, defending an satellite in a xenon sector for about 10 minutes for collecting data".

And as we are at missions: i would like to restart a failed mission :)
--> "Mission failed, please return to the client for a new chance"

But now, other things are more important i dont need to say.

keep up your good work guys!

Look to steam forum, its funny as they were getting pretty excited about that "news"..
"Hope is the last force i have"
"This is how liberty dies, with thounderous applause"
***Modified***

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 17:07

If you look into the save.xml there are 100 visitor factions :gruebel:
ALLE X Spiele und alle Bücher!

Alewx
x4

Post by Alewx » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 17:42

Juggernaut93 wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:32
Alewx wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:11
CBJ wrote:
I think they already said no micro-transactions.
I think they already said the game is release ready.
I7 9900k 4GHz
RTX 3080TI
32GB Corsair
Win10 64bit

But now on a freaking fast SSD aber immernoch ziemlich lahm beim laden :(

Botschafter Von Den Glück
x4

Post by Botschafter Von Den Glück » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:49

We are interested in your experimentsssss!

You give us hope. A part of us.

You dont need to deliver a ready product the next 5 years, but if you have the image, that you are generally 'open' for it, it calms down a lot of us, even if you never finish something.
Botschafter von den Glücksplaneten: Zu 100% Doktor. Die vertrauen mir!

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:51

I wonder what the Venture station modules are for exactly. The two different shipyards for players are accessible. I haven't tried building them.

Botschafter Von Den Glück
x4

Post by Botschafter Von Den Glück » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 19:07

I give myself as a beta tester if you ever want the biggest multiplayer fan on the world!
Botschafter von den Glücksplaneten: Zu 100% Doktor. Die vertrauen mir!

aftokinito
x4

Post by aftokinito » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 04:12

That's for Venturer, the "multiplayer" (more like send your ships to their server to do some RNG tasks) mode that we are actually getting.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”