[MOD] Learning All The Things

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

iforgotmysocks
x4

[MOD] Learning All The Things

Post by iforgotmysocks » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:24

V0.5: added the $jobFitting option that can be enabled in the mod file. It limits the skills that npcs receive passive experience for to the npcs core/role skills. Disabled at default, needs to be enabled.

Npcs seem to level a bit slow for my liking so i gave them a little insentive to learn some more.
Every playercontrolled npc has a chance to improve his skills by 1 point every 20 minutes.
1 star equals 3 points, so the max points required for 5 stars are 15.

You can adjust the chance and the amount of points added in the modfile yourself at learningallthethings/md/learningallthethings.xml
Standard is a 30% chance for 1 point (not star) every 20 minutes. You can also set whether you want ur npcs to gain experience for all skills or just for the skills fitting and needed for their role.

Note: While ships are docked at stations, they won't receive any experience. I was asked not to change that as crew shouldn't get experience anyway when they're on station drowning their sorrows.

Link to Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... id=7196271

Installation:
Download the file, extract the learningallthethings folder and move it to your extensions folder.
In case you don't have one yet, simply create it at the base directory of X4, so for a steam user it would be: Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions

Deinstallation:
Simply remove the folder, no savegame issues whatsoever.
Last edited by iforgotmysocks on Wed, 12. Dec 18, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

Kadatherion
x4

Re: [MOD] Learning All The Things

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:06

This might become obsolete once Egosoft fixes their borked skill gain scripts and implements the now useless seminars, but in the meanwhile it's basically a mandatory mod to have. Thanks for this one too, mate.

Cyres
x4

Post by Cyres » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:16

iforgotmysocks wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:24
Once i can find the time i'll see that i can add docked ships aswell, if possible.
Nah, no pilot will learn how to fly while docked at a station. I'd leave it in this state :)

AuGuR
x4

Post by AuGuR » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:23

Cyres wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:16
Nah, no pilot will learn how to fly while docked at a station. I'd leave it in this state :)
So you're saying there aren't any virtual training pods or thermodynamic seminars in the future? (lol)

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:51

Kadatherion wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:06
This might become obsolete once Egosoft fixes their borked skill gain scripts and implements the now useless seminars, but in the meanwhile it's basically a mandatory mod to have. Thanks for this one too, mate.
Hmm maybe, depends how ego will fix the issues. I just don't like the minigame and have my npcs get better with time no matter if i forget to give every ship something to do or not. ^^
Glad it makes your space-life easier. :D
Cyres wrote:
iforgotmysocks wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:24
Once i can find the time i'll see that i can add docked ships aswell, if possible.
Good point i guess... ^^
AuGuR wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:23
Cyres wrote:
So you're saying there aren't any virtual training pods or thermodynamic seminars in the future? (lol)
I think i've already seen seminars sold on stations by traders.

Cyres
x4

Post by Cyres » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 15:51

AuGuR wrote:
Cyres wrote:
There will, but this are what seminars are for. They won't get experience while idling in the ship

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 16:44

I played with it for a while before starting a new save with 1.3. I'd say two things: it's still needed in 1.3 (crew might be leveling a bit faster, but it's still painfully slow), and it's a bit too over the top for me. I slowed it down 5 times in my previous game, as otherwise I'd get a full 5 stars crew in just a few hours, which seemed way too much (especially because every crewman or marine would become a jack of all trades). Other than that, it works flawlessly, and, as stated, it's still very much needed to avoid frustration.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:22

Do they really level so fast though?

Standard setting is them level up 1 point every 20 minutes with a 30% chance. 3 points are required for 1 star.
Meaning it should rougly take about 3 hours for an npc to gain a star for his abilities if he isn't extremly lucky. ^^

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:27

Cyres wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 15:51
AuGuR wrote:
Cyres wrote:
There will, but this are what seminars are for. They won't get experience while idling in the ship
Seminars do jack squat atm according to a dev they are just vendor items atm again it's one of those "we'll put the item in the game and then add it's feature later" type of deal.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:43

iforgotmysocks wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:22

Standard setting is them level up 1 point every 20 minutes with a 30% chance. 3 points are required for 1 star.
Meaning it should rougly take about 3 hours for an npc to gain a star for his abilities if he isn't extremly lucky. ^^
Yeah, on paper that seemed allright to me too, but in the actual game after playing a few ours I glanced back at the crew of my cerberus, and having 8 marines at 3 stars for everything felt a bit cheaty (not to mention the other crewmen and pilots, who already had 2-3 stars in their main skills - recruited them from npc cap ships when it still was doable - had all gone to 5 stars). With how slow game progression is overall (many things are not streamlined, exploration is mighty slow - well, unless one plays with your satellites too :mrgreen: - and so on) you turn up having maxed out crews well before expanding your assets much. Of course it's a matter of preference (and maybe playstile, I'm probably quite slow paced in growing as I take my sweet time before beginning to invest into infrastructure), but the feeling for me was the crewmen grew much faster than "I" did.

BTW, I noticed it just now while actually writing it: yes, all my marines started at zero skill points and grew together to three stars. No difference whatsoever between them. While the 30% chance applies per skill point, not per star (which is 3 points), so in the long run it has a tendency to even out, in hindsight it seems a bit strange there wasn't even a single one who had unlucky RNG rolls and lagged behind at 2 stars. Are we totally sure the 30% check works as intended? :gruebel:

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:08

Kadatherion wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:06
This might become obsolete once Egosoft fixes..
Let me stop you there hoss. This mod won't become obsolete ever. I can set all skills to be +15 within 1 minute. This means I can purchase ships all day and once they undock voila zee uber krew. No save edits and no funky hoops.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:13

Kadatherion wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:43
iforgotmysocks wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:22

Yeah, on paper that seemed allright to me too, but in the actual game after playing a few ours I glanced back at the crew of my cerberus, and having 8 marines at 3 stars for everything felt a bit cheaty (not to mention the other crewmen and pilots, who already had 2-3 stars in their main skills - recruited them from npc cap ships when it still was doable - had all gone to 5 stars). With how slow game progression is overall (many things are not streamlined, exploration is mighty slow - well, unless one plays with your satellites too :mrgreen: - and so on) you turn up having maxed out crews well before expanding your assets much. Of course it's a matter of preference (and maybe playstile, I'm probably quite slow paced in growing as I take my sweet time before beginning to invest into infrastructure), but the feeling for me was the crewmen grew much faster than "I" did.

BTW, I noticed it just now while actually writing it: yes, all my marines started at zero skill points and grew together to three stars. No difference whatsoever between them. While the 30% chance applies per skill point, not per star (which is 3 points), so in the long run it has a tendency to even out, in hindsight it seems a bit strange there wasn't even a single one who had unlucky RNG rolls and lagged behind at 2 stars. Are we totally sure the 30% check works as intended? :gruebel:
It's a 30% chance for all skills to be improved by a certain value. It's not done per skill, it still shouldn't feel that fast, u're right. I might tune things down in a further update.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:26

iforgotmysocks wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:13
It's a 30% chance for all skills to be improved by a certain value. It's not done per skill, it still shouldn't feel that fast, u're right. I might tune things down in a further update.
Yes, I know, but still it means that 8 marines all got to three stars (9-11 points and as such 30% checks) more or less at the same time. Perfectly possible, only 8 marines and a three points margin that you can't distinguish by the stars alone isn't a statistically big enough sample to prove they all skilled at the same exact rate, but it made me wonder there wasn't a single one that had two or three less lucky rolls and lagged behind at 2 stars, or one that got to 4. Whish I still had the save to check if the actual points and not just the stars were the same.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:32

Kadatherion wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:26
iforgotmysocks wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:13
Yes, I know, but still it means that 8 marines all got to three stars (9-11 points and as such 30% checks) more or less at the same time. Perfectly possible, only 8 marines and a three points margin that you can't distinguish by the stars alone isn't a statistically big enough sample to prove they all skilled at the same exact rate, but it made me wonder there wasn't a single one that had two or three less lucky rolls and lagged behind at 2 stars, or one that got to 4. Whish I still had the save to check if the actual points and not just the stars were the same.
I'm gonna go and do this... :headbang:
When i changed the method of applying skillpoints i forgot to include the chance again. lol.

Thanks for your observation! ^^

Edit: And with the next update the chance will fall on every skill itself to make it a bit more dynamic.
Last edited by iforgotmysocks on Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:49

LOL, I'm relieved then, I was fearing I might have been just wasting your time with speculations not backed by actual proof but only vague impressions that could have been wrong :D

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 22:07

New update is out that adds an option to limit the skillpoint gain to npc's role/core skills. Enjoy!
(Needs to be enabled in the file as it is disabled at default)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”