[WIP] Dawn of Rebirth

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Requiemfang
x4

Re: [WIP] Rebirth Ships

Post by Requiemfang » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 00:15

Grimshad wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:48
Since .21 my deployment ship just flys to a sector and sits there doing nothing. Tried to restart the command but still doesn't work. Worked when I restarted the command from a very distant sector.

.22 still has incorrect text displaying :(

Request: Make the ship drop the sat slightly off to the side of the station so it's not as annoying to click on the station from the map later.
Uh I think you posted this in the wrong thread?

Osbot
x4

Post by Osbot » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 01:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 12:54
From practical point of view this is rather stupid statement from Egosoft:
"can port some ships from XR, but not all"

Quantify "not all" - like 40% of ships? 90% ships? All minus one ship?

Basically you can bypass it by making "pack mods" like "Albion pack", "Omicron Lyrae pack", "Canteran pack" - as each pack is separate mod that doesn't contain "all ships" it's ok.

They should simply say - if you own XR we are fine with it.
They should simply say - "we are fine with it".

Mods enrich the game. Porting XR assets to this game enriches it. More people will buy this game. Eventually Egosoft can port them, themselves, or not, or port some of them, or not. Either way, it doesn't hurt them. The games are fundamentally different. If someone wants the XR experience, having the ships in this game isn't going to be the reason they do or do not buy it.

Vovva
x4

Post by Vovva » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:41

Any progress for ships from rebirth?

Clifffitir

Post by Clifffitir » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 03:22

Its a shame this mod needs to be made. Egosoft did an amazing job with Rebirth ships. I hope you are able to get this working!

Ojump
x4

Post by Ojump » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 10:48

Vovva wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:41
Progress Yes, but it will take some time before I release anything (if I can) as there is a lot of job to do.

Currently, I'm trying to take a look on Blender/xmf-dae converter to modify the 3D of the ships by myself, but i'm not familiar with those and I get some errors when I try to convert the dae back to xml, so I lose a lot of time on that part.

If someone with some skills in Blender/3DS max is around, I would be interested to share my current work with him/her to make the necessary 3D modifications in order to have some decent quality on the components integration for the ships ( Spacesuit docking bay and ships Docking bay mostly).

So if someone around is interested, feel free to mp me :wink:

In the meantime, here are some views of a Taranis fully functionnal ( but in need of a few 3D modification as stated before).

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Ojump on Mon, 17. Dec 18, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 10:55

It looks really good in X4!

The future looks bright :D

lavak9
x4

Post by lavak9 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 12:23

I sadly can not help with the 3d but thought I would offer encouragement as that looks AMAZING!

sco1981
x4

Post by sco1981 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 13:42

Hi,

i want to learn to mod some new ships in and want to start with import a model from X Rebirth, but i always get the error:
[Mesh::Mesh] could not find a valid meshsource for mesh assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data\

The path and files seems to be correct.
How did you import the meshes or do you know what i am doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced.

Ojump
x4

Post by Ojump » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 14:37

sco1981 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 13:42
Hi,

i want to learn to mod some new ships in and want to start with import a model from X Rebirth, but i always get the error:
[Mesh::Mesh] could not find a valid meshsource for mesh assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data\

The path and files seems to be correct.
How did you import the meshes or do you know what i am doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced.
Check the followings things :
- if you have units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data folder in the correct path and not empty
- if the <source geometry=[path] /> flag of the units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2.xml file is correct
- Finally, i'm not sure why, but having also the construction_set folder seems to help

Parcipal
x4

Post by Parcipal » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 15:25

Hey there,
I guess I could offer you help, especially with Blender.
I'd just need a basic overview on what needs to be done. Over on the Egosoft Discord we actually brainstormed about everything model related anyways, so here's a shot at it

Cheers,
Parc

captainradish
x4

Post by captainradish » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:22

Ironically, I think the L and XL ships will generally be easier to model in X4 because you don't have to show the bridge interior from the outside.

sco1981
x4

Post by sco1981 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:27

Ojump wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 14:37

Check the followings things :
- if you have units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data folder in the correct path and not empty
- if the <source geometry=[path] /> flag of the units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2.xml file is correct
- Finally, i'm not sure why, but having also the construction_set folder seems to help
Hi Ojump,

thank you, but files and folders seems ok.
I copied all files from "units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data" to my mod folder "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data".
I tried <source geometry="C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> and
<source geometry="assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> but the ship doesnt show up.
Tried construction_set folder too, but nothing happend.

bl3ek
x4

Post by bl3ek » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:59

Ojump wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 10:48
In the meantime, here are some views of a Taranis fully functionnal ( but in need of a few 3D modification as stated before).
-snip-
Looking good! Thanks for your efforts, I believe I'm in the majority who want to see more ships in game. :)

Discing
x4

Post by Discing » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:59

Just out of curiosity, what in the models need to be changed in blender? (please note I have no experience in blender, but was thinking about trying to load in one or two of the XR models with no changes)

Edit: typo
Last edited by Discing on Tue, 18. Dec 18, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:48

Ojump wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 10:48
Vovva wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:41
Progress Yes, but it will take some time before I release anything (if I can) as there is a lot of job to do.

Currently, I'm trying to take a look on Blender/xmf-dae converter to modify the 3D of the ships by myself, but i'm not familiar with those and I get some errors when I try to convert the dae back to xml, so I lose a lot of time on that part.

If someone with some skills in Blender/3DS max is around, I would be interested to share my current work with him/her to make the necessary 3D modifications in order to have some decent quality on the components integration for the ships ( Spacesuit docking bay and ships Docking bay mostly).

So if someone around is interested, feel free to mp me :wink:

ImageImageImageImage
looks neat but I suggest you use another site that doesn't scale down your images, Imgur allows you to upload images full size. Just a suggestion :wink: Now the very last image. I'm gonna assume that the Taranis is smaller than the Colossus I see on that image, so even though our view in game makes ships seem smaller they are actually pretty big I take it?.

Ojump
x4

Post by Ojump » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:58

Discing wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:59
Just out of curiosity, what in the models need to be changed in blender? (please note I have 3 experience in blender, but was thinking about trying to load in one or two of the XR models with no changes)
For the 3D modifications :
- Make the space for the spacesuit airlock => "a cube hole" in the ship 3D mesh to avoid collision in textures/model when you integrate the airlock in the hull
- Same than spacesuit but for the S/M ships docking bays
- last step but none the least : Modify the main xml descriptor file to ensure that the game does not crash once it's done => I made some trials on that part : After cutting a hole inside the ship mesh, I can load the new model into the game but the it crashes 25% of the time on startup and always completely freeze when exiting the game. Consequently, I suppose the way I modify the meshes is probably a bit to brutal for the game and it does not like it :roll:
sco1981 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:27
I copied all files from "units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data" to my mod folder "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data".
I tried <source geometry="C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> and
<source geometry="assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> but the ship doesnt show up.
From the source geometry, try something like that perhaps :

Code: Select all

<source geometry="extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/>

sco1981
x4

Post by sco1981 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 10:06

Ojump wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:58

<source geometry="extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/>
Thank you, this resolve my issue.
Now i am trying to place the turrets and shields, but it seems, that the coordinates in blender are not equal to the xyz coordiantes in the xml file.
How do you place such things?

Discing
x4

Post by Discing » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 13:53

Ojump wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:58
Discing wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:59
Just out of curiosity, what in the models need to be changed in blender? (please note I have 3 experience in blender, but was thinking about trying to load in one or two of the XR models with no changes)
For the 3D modifications :
- Make the space for the spacesuit airlock => "a cube hole" in the ship 3D mesh to avoid collision in textures/model when you integrate the airlock in the hull
- Same than spacesuit but for the S/M ships docking bays
- last step but none the least : Modify the main xml descriptor file to ensure that the game does not crash once it's done => I made some trials on that part : After cutting a hole inside the ship mesh, I can load the new model into the game but the it crashes 25% of the time on startup and always completely freeze when exiting the game. Consequently, I suppose the way I modify the meshes is probably a bit to brutal for the game and it does not like it :roll:
sco1981 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:27

Thanks for sharing. I must note, that my prior post had a typo, which I corrected. I have little/no experience with blender.

I will let you know if my testing bears any fruit.

LucianDragos
x4

Post by LucianDragos » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 16:50

If I might chime in on the importing thing.. I think what Egosoft is trying to say is you can't "remake" X:R in X4... Like Bethesda did to the Fallout 3 remake in Fallout 4, They where ok with it up to the modders trying to use licensed or royalty paid assets (i.e. music, voice acting etc). So in this case Egosoft can give whatever permissions they want with mesh and texture assets since they fully own them but other things might have legal strings attached that they have to put there foot down.. So no "Comming in hot!" for Yisha with voice and all lol =P

Sturmalex.
x4

Post by Sturmalex. » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 21:52

If they didnt **** up the L and XL sized ships big time in X4 there wouldnt be such a *need* for such mod in the first place.
But as it is currently those ships are hot garbage and in dire need of a redo. Heck even X2's "L and XL" ships (M6, M2 , M1) looked better - sure their textures weren't as shiny and their models not as detailed but aesthetically they were a lot better than this dumpster fire that is the behemoth and spacehairdryers aka paranids.

Since they already ruled out to remake those ships themselves nor are they going to import them[X:R's] into X4 its up to the community.

I mean are they really proud of their L and XL ships? Please don't tell me they are....
The only good looking ones(L and XL) are the Xenon's...... and they are from X:R.
What are they going to miss btw? In the end, they could probably ask the creator to include the ships in 2.0. Egosoft saves some work to port them in the first place and the comminity gets good ships. Its a win win.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”