[WIP] Dawn of Rebirth

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ojump
x4

Re: [WIP] Rebirth Ships

Post by Ojump » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:58

Discing wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:59
Just out of curiosity, what in the models need to be changed in blender? (please note I have 3 experience in blender, but was thinking about trying to load in one or two of the XR models with no changes)
For the 3D modifications :
- Make the space for the spacesuit airlock => "a cube hole" in the ship 3D mesh to avoid collision in textures/model when you integrate the airlock in the hull
- Same than spacesuit but for the S/M ships docking bays
- last step but none the least : Modify the main xml descriptor file to ensure that the game does not crash once it's done => I made some trials on that part : After cutting a hole inside the ship mesh, I can load the new model into the game but the it crashes 25% of the time on startup and always completely freeze when exiting the game. Consequently, I suppose the way I modify the meshes is probably a bit to brutal for the game and it does not like it :roll:
sco1981 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:27
thank you, but files and folders seems ok.
I copied all files from "units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data" to my mod folder "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data".
I tried <source geometry="C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> and
<source geometry="assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> but the ship doesnt show up.
Tried construction_set folder too, but nothing happend.
From the source geometry, try something like that perhaps :

Code: Select all

<source geometry="extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/>

sco1981
x4

Post by sco1981 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 10:06

Ojump wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:58

<source geometry="extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/>
Thank you, this resolve my issue.
Now i am trying to place the turrets and shields, but it seems, that the coordinates in blender are not equal to the xyz coordiantes in the xml file.
How do you place such things?

Discing
x4

Post by Discing » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 13:53

Ojump wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:58
Discing wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:59
Just out of curiosity, what in the models need to be changed in blender? (please note I have 3 experience in blender, but was thinking about trying to load in one or two of the XR models with no changes)
For the 3D modifications :
- Make the space for the spacesuit airlock => "a cube hole" in the ship 3D mesh to avoid collision in textures/model when you integrate the airlock in the hull
- Same than spacesuit but for the S/M ships docking bays
- last step but none the least : Modify the main xml descriptor file to ensure that the game does not crash once it's done => I made some trials on that part : After cutting a hole inside the ship mesh, I can load the new model into the game but the it crashes 25% of the time on startup and always completely freeze when exiting the game. Consequently, I suppose the way I modify the meshes is probably a bit to brutal for the game and it does not like it :roll:
sco1981 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:27
thank you, but files and folders seems ok.
I copied all files from "units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data" to my mod folder "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data".
I tried <source geometry="C:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions\amod\assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> and
<source geometry="assets\units\size_xl\units_size_xl_capital_destroyer_2_data"/> but the ship doesnt show up.
Tried construction_set folder too, but nothing happend.

Thanks for sharing. I must note, that my prior post had a typo, which I corrected. I have little/no experience with blender.

I will let you know if my testing bears any fruit.

LucianDragos
x4

Post by LucianDragos » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 16:50

If I might chime in on the importing thing.. I think what Egosoft is trying to say is you can't "remake" X:R in X4... Like Bethesda did to the Fallout 3 remake in Fallout 4, They where ok with it up to the modders trying to use licensed or royalty paid assets (i.e. music, voice acting etc). So in this case Egosoft can give whatever permissions they want with mesh and texture assets since they fully own them but other things might have legal strings attached that they have to put there foot down.. So no "Comming in hot!" for Yisha with voice and all lol =P

Sturmalex.
x4

Post by Sturmalex. » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 21:52

If they didnt **** up the L and XL sized ships big time in X4 there wouldnt be such a *need* for such mod in the first place.
But as it is currently those ships are hot garbage and in dire need of a redo. Heck even X2's "L and XL" ships (M6, M2 , M1) looked better - sure their textures weren't as shiny and their models not as detailed but aesthetically they were a lot better than this dumpster fire that is the behemoth and spacehairdryers aka paranids.

Since they already ruled out to remake those ships themselves nor are they going to import them[X:R's] into X4 its up to the community.

I mean are they really proud of their L and XL ships? Please don't tell me they are....
The only good looking ones(L and XL) are the Xenon's...... and they are from X:R.
What are they going to miss btw? In the end, they could probably ask the creator to include the ships in 2.0. Egosoft saves some work to port them in the first place and the comminity gets good ships. Its a win win.

ZEFFEZ
x4

Post by ZEFFEZ » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 09:41

Agreed, all of the Argon ships look like they were chopped in half and the Teladi's just look like a bunch of different sideways umbrellas

Spartan-B59
x4

Post by Spartan-B59 » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 12:34

Sturmalex. wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 21:52

Since they already ruled out to remake those ships themselves nor are they going to import them[X:R's] into X4 its up to the community.
Did they really say that? I was still in hope that one of the dlcs would open up an old jumpgate to the XRebirth sector's and bring in its glorious ship's. :/
{Error 404: Signatur not found}

Kayser99
x4

Post by Kayser99 » Sat, 22. Dec 18, 00:46

Spartan-B59 wrote:
Thu, 20. Dec 18, 12:34
Sturmalex. wrote:

Did they really say that? I was still in hope that one of the dlcs would open up an old jumpgate to the XRebirth sector's and bring in its glorious ship's. :/
I hope that is not true, i would ask for the source but too afraid he will post it..say it ain't so! :cry:

But nobody said anything about X3 series i hope! MOAR ships...give me mah Split Tiger and Panther now!

sandalle
x4

Post by sandalle » Sat, 22. Dec 18, 00:54

Kayser99 wrote:
Sat, 22. Dec 18, 00:46
Spartan-B59 wrote:
Thu, 20. Dec 18, 12:34
Sturmalex. wrote:

I hope that is not true, i would ask for the source but too afraid he will post it..say it ain't so! :cry:

But nobody said anything about X3 series i hope! MOAR ships...give me mah Split Tiger and Panther now!
It was posted in the first page of this very thread:
enenra wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 09:48
Official Egosoft statement on porting XR assets, FYI.

https://i.imgur.com/tTmFK98.png

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

jim_baem
xr

Post by jim_baem » Wed, 26. Dec 18, 06:47

enenra wrote:

I do not know English and I can not copy the text from the picture for translation, could you write here that in the picture? :cry:

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Wed, 26. Dec 18, 07:37

jim_baem wrote:
Wed, 26. Dec 18, 06:47
enenra wrote:

I do not know English and I can not copy the text from the picture for translation, could you write here that in the picture? :cry:
If you own both Xrebirth and X4 foundations, Egosoft doesn't mind it if you port over some ships. But total conversion mods, or porting all ships and assets from XR is frowned upon by the devs. It's likely they have plans to reuse more assets from XR, what those assets are remain to be seen. So it's possible they may import 25%, 30%, 40% or more assets though as I said it remains to be seen if they plan on importing anymore assets or not. I'm gonna err on the side of caution and say they do plan on more importing with tweaks. I think at that point mod creators will fill in the void of what's left.

jim_baem
xr

Post by jim_baem » Wed, 26. Dec 18, 13:54

Requiemfang wrote:
Wed, 26. Dec 18, 07:37
jim_baem wrote:
Wed, 26. Dec 18, 06:47
enenra wrote:

If you own both Xrebirth and X4 foundations, Egosoft doesn't mind it if you port over some ships. But total conversion mods, or porting all ships and assets from XR is frowned upon by the devs. It's likely they have plans to reuse more assets from XR, what those assets are remain to be seen. So it's possible they may import 25%, 30%, 40% or more assets though as I said it remains to be seen if they plan on importing anymore assets or not. I'm gonna err on the side of caution and say they do plan on more importing with tweaks. I think at that point mod creators will fill in the void of what's left.
Thanks friend! :)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 19:16

When can we see Arawn? After Taranis this is my second most anticipated ship from XR.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 22:48

Sturmalex. wrote:
If they didnt **** up the L and XL sized ships big time in X4 there wouldnt be such a *need* for such mod in the first place.
But as it is currently those ships are hot garbage and in dire need of a redo. Heck even X2's "L and XL" ships (M6, M2 , M1) looked better - sure their textures weren't as shiny and their models not as detailed but aesthetically they were a lot better than this dumpster fire that is the behemoth and spacehairdryers aka paranids.
This is just an opinion. I, for one, love the new Argon designs, except for the Callisto-Pulsar-Quasar branch's. The Paranid ships are only lacking in the L class department, visually. Not saying I wouldn't love to see the old designs back, but making the assumption that no one likes the new artistic direction is far fetched.
Sturmalex. wrote:
This is also just nitpicking. Even though development direction might change with time, they haven't stated that they wouldn't reintroduce these ships in some form. But currently and shamely, the state of the game requires dev resources in other areas than models.
And besides, straight-up including old models would only work with the L-XL class. The S-M ships would have to be remodelled and retextured from scratch, because even if we disregard the cockpit's functionality, these ships even in Rebirth were poorly modeled and textured.
Sturmalex. wrote:
I mean are they really proud of their L and XL ships? Please don't tell me they are....
The only good looking ones(L and XL) are the Xenon's...... and they are from X:R.
And see, this is where our opinions would clash head-on. I straight-up dislike the bug-like Xenon ships, making them look like giant mechanical insects lipsticked with a made on spot gig that the AGI is trying to mimic biological life's evolutionary properties, instead of looking like not so biological life friendly, luxury rejecting, flying cost-effective computer components. Like they always did.
Sturmalex. wrote:
What are they going to miss btw? In the end, they could probably ask the creator to include the ships in 2.0. Egosoft saves some work to port them in the first place and the comminity gets good ships. Its a win win.
Basically, licensing issues. The models made by modders (XTM and XTC) that they have included in retail releases were all made from scratch. The only thing that was borrowed from the games were the textures.

alexringess
x4

Post by alexringess » Mon, 31. Dec 18, 11:43

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 30. Dec 18, 19:16
When can we see Arawn? After Taranis this is my second most anticipated ship from XR.
You can found them there https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/156

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Mon, 31. Dec 18, 20:48

alexringess wrote:
Mon, 31. Dec 18, 11:43
mr.WHO wrote:
So a player manage to do all that this fast and Egosoft just skipped them alltogheter...great!

LucianDragos
x4

Post by LucianDragos » Mon, 31. Dec 18, 23:00

This might be an odd request but how about some of the M and L cargo ships like the Rahanas, Styrvok (L) and Mercancias (M).... also.... Must have my Katana back please :P lol

ApoxNM
x4

Post by ApoxNM » Tue, 1. Jan 19, 13:39

So this thread has been around for a while? Are there any ships yet available for download?

Ojump
x4

Post by Ojump » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 17:53

alexringess wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:
ApoxNM wrote:
Tue, 1. Jan 19, 13:39
So this thread has been around for a while? Are there any ships yet available for download?

Please note that this is a different mod made by sco1981 and completely in parrallel of mine. For those in a hurry to have XR ships in their Game, I recommend to use his mod.

As for me, I am still ongoing. So far the Lepton, Onil and Taranis are completely finished and i'm working on the Arawn. However, as I transfer the ships with quality and balance as first concern, you can imagine that it takes some time to do :).
I will, however, make an update of the first post in one or two days to show how the things are going and what is planned in the futur.

Additionnaly, I don't plan to only import ships but considering to extend the content beyond that, depending on how the time and motivation are going ( though I will try to release a first something soon after the patch 2.0 from Egosoft).

Small Edit to avoid double post :
LucianDragos wrote:
Mon, 31. Dec 18, 23:00
This might be an odd request but how about some of the M and L cargo ships like the Rahanas, Styrvok (L) and Mercancias (M).... also.... Must have my Katana back please :P lol
For M cargo, I will most likely not include them : I think X4 is decent for the choices of S and M ships and don't plan to do anything about that personnally. Additionnaly, M ships should have their cockpit completely modeled which is beyond my Blender skills for far . Styrvok and stormvok are next on my list after the Arawn.
Last edited by Ojump on Wed, 2. Jan 19, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

ApoxNM
x4

Post by ApoxNM » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 18:00

Ojump wrote:
Wed, 2. Jan 19, 17:53
alexringess wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:
ApoxNM wrote:
Tue, 1. Jan 19, 13:39

Please note that this is a different mod made by sco1981 and completely in parrallel of mine. For those in a hurry to have XR ships in their Game, I recommend to use his mod.

As for me, I am still ongoing. So far the Lepton, Onil and Taranis are completely finished and i'm working on the Arawn. However, as I transfer the ships with quality and balance as first concern, you can imagine that it takes some time to do :).
I will, however, make an update of the first post in one or two days to show how the things are going and what is planned in the futur.

Additionnaly, I don't plan to only import ships but considering to extend the content beyond that, depending on how the time and motivation are going ( though I will try to release a first something soon after the patch 2.0 from Egosoft).
Sound really good, I am looking forward to it so I really hope you stay motivated :)

If you are knowledgable around the topic of porting models to X4, it would also be great if you could port some nice ship models from otehr games (elite dangerous has some nice models, or some other game). The game really needs more ships.
Do you also consider making the ships compatible with other mods? Such as weapons rebalance mods?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”