X3 Universe Remake & Planetary Flight Demo

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

wesley32
x4

X3 Universe Remake & Planetary Flight Demo

Post by wesley32 » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:53

Hi Guys,

So I've been fiddling around with this game for a while. I kinda like it but I really miss the old X3 universe and all the sectors it had. So, I decided to start a little project to recreate the X3 universe as much as possible. Here's a little sneak preview of the revamped Argon Prime. I've relocated the planet and moon back to their original locations and added the stations you'd find in the Argon Prime sector in X3. Sorry for the horrible video quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzIi32gy4Ck

Because no galaxy editor exists for the new XR-X4 engine, creating new sectors is a very time-consuming endeavour. I'm starting to get better at it though so expect more videos soon. Hopefully, the game is able to handle the number of sectors X3 AP had.

I'm also looking to add planetary flight sectors as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-QL_ErLjHU

Ideas and feedback are welcome!

alexringess
x4

Re: X3 Universe Remake & Planetary Flight Demo

Post by alexringess » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 12:54

Hi !

So first, it's very promissing !

I'll start with the 2nd video.
The idea of atmospheric flight it awesome ! The sky box need to be enhancing a bit but all the feelings are there. Good work !

For the 1st one, I found it unfortunate that you avoid the cockpit of the ship.
Of course, it reinforce the x3 feeling, but the x3 UI isn't there so I had the feeling to flight an EVA ^^
Ring Moon needs its asteroids field, but excepting those 2 details, what you did is very good.

I guess it will be an astronomical work to do all the x4 map like that, but even you only did it for Argon Prime, it would be very amazing.

Ping me if you plan to publish it as a mod. I want to test it ^^

NB : did you note that a guy is doing a x3 galaxy map on x4 actualy ?
Here is the link viewtopic.php?f=181&t=406274#p4779689
I guess you'd do a real good work together ^^

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 13:24

Oh dear I actually thought he was the same guy!

Btw I would also suggest a cooperation between you two

You are doing both a really good work, keep it up!

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 14:47

Reminds me a little of Radiant Heaven in Rebirth, which is my favourite place ever. Looking very cool. Some more stars in the sky could imply that your much higher in atmo.
Another cool idea would be a sector in the upper atmo of a gas giant, technically plausible too iirc. The visuals could be outstanding.

wesley32
x4

Post by wesley32 » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:18

Thanks for the replies. Didn't know someone else was trying to do the same thing. Might be a good idea to join forces yeah.
I've already got some amazing upper atmosphere backgrounds to use, I'll try and post some more vids over the next week. Good ideas!
The skybox in the demo is low res, adding high res version soon.

I'm really starting to get the hang of universe editing. Still taking alot of time to determine best practices to work as efficiently as possible.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:49

I will be honest, planetary flight doesn't make much sense unless you can handle it as a single station entity, producing workforce, military, and raw minerals.

Although it does look good, eye-candy and all aside, if it's just another sector it makes it uninteresting and disappointing.

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:34

I doubt we can work together. My premise at the moment is loading in a json file through a java engine and the output is an entire galaxy. He is manually sculpting the galaxy. So two different beasts all together. Still nice work ! :)

alexringess
x4

Post by alexringess » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:47

wesley32 wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:18
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know someone else was trying to do the same thing. Might be a good idea to join forces yeah.
I've already got some amazing upper atmosphere backgrounds to use, I'll try and post some more vids over the next week. Good ideas!

I'm really starting to get the hang of universe editing. Still taking alot of time to determine best practices to work as efficiently as possible.
Well, it's not exactly the same thing as you do.
He began to create the same map as we had on X3, the sectors and the way they are connected.
You are on the content of each sector (or at least, Argon Prime) but it's complementary. That's why a collaboration would be awesome for the community ^^

Tattoonation
x4

Post by Tattoonation » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:04

alexringess wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:47
wesley32 wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:18

Well, it's not exactly the same thing as you do.
He began to create the same map as we had on X3, the sectors and the way they are connected.
You are on the content of each sector (or at least, Argon Prime) but it's complementary. That's why a collaboration would be awesome for the community ^^
My full approval.
The cooperation of these two modders would bring us back the complete X3 galaxy.

I am delighted :x3: :x3: :x3:
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 23:34
Wer enttäuscht vom Spiel ist, darf das hier äußern und muss sich nicht anhören (respektive lesen), welche Fehler oder Unzulänglichkeiten man aushalten soll. Solche Kommentare also bitte hier sein lassen.

wesley32
x4

Post by wesley32 » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 13:52

I'm not just re-sculpting the current sectors, I'm recreating the entire X3 galaxy. Sectors like Argon Prime, Antigone Memorial, Grand Exchange will simply be relocated with some alterations to the planet, moon and station layout for nostalgias sake. Other I will manually recreate to resemble their X3 counterparts as much as possible. I've completed the galaxy map for the first 90 sectors as you can see in the picture below. Went around creating a universe/cluster/sector/zone generator that outputs everything in 1 go.

North West: https://imgur.com/a/N6tkOR6
South West: https://imgur.com/a/8g0aTgV

dionnsai
x4

Post by dionnsai » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 14:38

Cloud city anyone?

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 02:05

Well then we are actually doing the same thing although my scope is far more limited I just do the north west part. Also I just describe everything in a big json file and then throw it through a java program getting a full working mod out of it.

However note of warning , making the clusters is the easy part, you'll be in for a ride once you start on the jobs and god engine :)

wesley32
x4

Post by wesley32 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 17:12

I've completed the galaxy layout: https://imgur.com/a/GHKIWn0

Jumpgates are in place, connecting them now...

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 17:42

Whar are you doing?! You're making an entire expansion! Please sthawp! :P

Taylor2008
x4

Post by Taylor2008 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 03:57

Superior :D

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 05:00

OP do you think you could make a tutorial on how to make a sector and its backdrops, if you ever have the time of course? This is all looking very cool.

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 08:37

https://github.com/enenra/x4modding/wik ... e-Creation

There are still some holes in it , but it should get you on the right track. Backdrops is a tad harder to do, don't think there is a tutorial about it yet

wesley32
x4

Post by wesley32 » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 18:28

Some more impressions on the Cloudbase North West sector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjoNK4yH9OU

First time I played X3:R I actually thought the cloudbase sectors were gonna be in-atmosphere.. bummer to find out it wasn't :(

@axeface: Sure, I'll try to write up a tutorial some time!

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 20:52

It's impressive to see how well the engine can handle the lighting in atmosphere :o

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 20:59

Big Radiant Haven vibes from that video, there.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”