UI overhaul experiment (visual concepts)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

marxcie

UI overhaul experiment (visual concepts)

Post by marxcie » Sun, 3. Feb 19, 14:58

Hi!
I'm revamping the UI, just as concept art to see how I'd solve UI problems, and simplify the interface. I'm not only redesigning the existing interface but changing it and adding gameplay mechanics changes as well.

FYI this is not a mod or an upcoming mod. It's just a design exercise for me. I'm not planning to make this, I don't have the technical skills on how to make mods, and probably the engine not allowing this kind of modifications either. I tried to not to do something that I think the game engine wouldn't allow, but I can't be sure, and as I said, this is concept art. If anyone wants to use some of these ideas, wanna actually build something like this, feel free to contact me, or just pick the idea and use it. But I'd be happy to contribute and help design a more consistent and logical interface.

Tactical map
Because sometimes the map is very crowded, why not to split into tactical and trade map. Both important, but frequently used, but you rarely need those two types of information at the same time. It also shows some information about the selected ship, speed, hull etc (no weapon system and shield type atm, just because it needs to be scanned), but showing which ship your target is targeting.

Tactical Map with filters
This is the tactical map, with ship filters. (Not sure this is actually a useful feature, let me know what you think.)

Trade map sector filters
This is the trade map, with sector information. Just an example of how I'd design the map interface if I'd work for Egosoft as a UI designer.

Trade map trade filters

Hire crew member
I think it's also boring to look for crew members, you should be able to see people for hire (as in the real world), and their skills. So I also added some randomly generated dialog. Every NPC in the game says basically the same, and for me after like a couple of hours became very repetitive, and I really like random features in games. (Although I can imagine in some cases you have to find an outstanding candidate because that person not on the job market, but it should have been done differently.)

In this case, I imagined a very simple text generator, maybe creating 10-20 personalities, and a couple of variations for every line in the conversations. (And also stealing a little bit from The Expanse, to create interesting character dialogues, dialects, slang etc, and give some personality to characters. Until there are no proper TTS engines in games, it should be simple text-based in my opinion.)

For example:
[Neotech Samurai]
Line 1 variations: {Konbanwa / Konnichiwa / Hajimemashite, ...}, {Battle Master san / Sensei / Captain / my friend / ...}!
Line 2 variations: {I am / My name is / You contacted with / ...} [name comes here].
Line 3 variations: {...an extremely talented and experienced / I'm a professional / ...} [profession comes here]

Black Market quest
While I think Egosoft did a good job on the design of the ships and stations, walking through stations and seeing all those NPCs gives me the feeling I'm playing with a modded fps 10 years ago. I think it's awkward, and the concept you have to physically go to places on empty and borings stations makes me feel it's just a feature to increase time spent in the game, and not adding anything meaningful to the gameplay. I miss X3-s easy to use tree menu based system, where I didn't need to use my mouse but was able to get through menus just using my keyboard. So this is a concept for that user flow.

On this one I'm adding gameplay mechanics as well, I think just A>B type quests (go here > do that) are boring, and just combining simple quests to a chain quest would add already a lot of variety to the game. (So, to create a formula, to generate quests out of 10-15 basic types and combine them, so some quest would have 2 steps, some 5 or more.)

I was also thinking why pirating, and being a mobster is so much punished in this game? Any type of criminal activity instantly lowering your reputation, while in the real world people are using fake personalities, committing crimes and getting away with it easily. So I created this concept of fake transporter ID (or borrowed from The Expanse) when you can buy a one-time use/limited time use transponder codes, so if you're doing something illegal you can get away with it. So, by mechanics, you can use them one time, and next time you'd need a new one. So, for example, if you have illegal cargo in your ship, and the police scanning you, you can get away with it. They'd look for the transponder codes, so if you reached the safe distance you could change to another ID. It's like the save game insurance, expect this one actually makes sense, and it'd give many possibilities to create pirating quests and to build a criminal (trading) empire in the game. Of course it implies you should be able to create your own Spacewed/Spacefly Eggs/etc factories (I'm not sure if it's possible or not at the moment), and your smuggling feet. I suppose it would need an additional mechanic (like heat in GTA), police would look after you somehow, but wouldn't it sounds exciting?

I would love to see a thought through well-designed UI and user flow in X games, because on this level of complexity I think it's very important, and while Egosoft improved a lot, they're still not there (sorry guys, I love you btw!)

Mr.Freud
x4

Re: UI overhaul experiment (visual concepts)

Post by Mr.Freud » Sun, 3. Feb 19, 19:22

looks awesome

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 08:22

This is kcking amazing!
i like this kind of design. :thumb_up:
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

XTC0R
x4

Post by XTC0R » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 11:27

great ideas and concept arts. I really hope Egosoft sees this and gets in touch with you.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 21:56

These all look great. I'd love to see what you could do with the HUD. I'm an easy person to please - the only things I absolutely have to have fixed in X4 are the two most immersion-breaking elements: the target squares (which don't look like part of the ship interface) and the Flight Assist is Disabled message (which is a message from the game rather than the ship).
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 11:02

Not trying to be rude or anything, but this is what happens when a designer starts with a concept before the programmers code.

Like to see more or your concepts

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 17:29

WOW
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

Mindstrip
xr

Post by Mindstrip » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 21:21

Whoa! Your concept looks dope!
I'm a big fan of your choice of high contrast colours, bright green vs dim grey and the solid/opaque black background in the trade sector info/filter menu for example. (Necrons <3)

The only thing i'd hope to be included if something like this concept were to be adopted; would be a transparency/opacity slider for the actual map part. Although currently i usually turn away from a potential sun and sit in a dedicated SETA ship when managing my "empire"

RPINerd
x4

Post by RPINerd » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 23:20

Hey Egosoft.. you seeing this? Hire this person, please. Even as a long distance contractor, something, please!

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 02:30

I saw this originally on steam you should also put this on main x4 forum so more people see it. viewforum.php?f=146 Really cool idea would love to see it implemented.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 07:52

Make notes Egosoft, make notes!

Edit: I love the idea of split between tactical map and trading map.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 07:13

Great! :)
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”