Competition: Make a ship mod, win the first DLC! (Temporary Sticky thread until mid Apr 2019) - Now unstickied.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Shehriazad
x4

Competition: Make a ship mod, win the first DLC! (Temporary Sticky thread until mid Apr 2019) - Now unstickied.

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 20:44

Hello there fellow players!

To try and make the modding community more active and also benefit myself a bit (hehe) I thought up an event/competition for you guys! (If anyone wants to pin this thread to keep it visible to show that I am a man of my word, that would be cool) <I'll Sticky this for the duration of competition, ie until mid April. Alan Phipps>

I want YOU to make a ship mod for X4, and you only have to make ONE ship for a chance of the grand price of a Collectors Edition Upgrade or 1 of 2 Split DLCs! So here is all information necessary that I could think of:

WHAT you need to do :
1: Design a Ship that fits the Split, Terran, Boron or Sohnen style. You may use X1, X2, X3:TC/AP as a visual GUIDELINE, own ideas are of course welcome if they seem fitting!
2:The ship can be any size from S to XL but needs to be usable by players
3:It needs to be ORIGINAL work. YES you can INSPIRE yourself with the past titles, but just taking X3/X:R models and porting them will not do. I want to see YOUR vision for these factions in X4!(Edit:Clarification -> You are allowed to use assets from within X4 but your work needs to end up being clearly original and not just a ship that already exists with more guns attached to it!). If your submission doesn't fully fit any of the styles requested but is original work or fits the X universe we can probably work it out. Just message me!
4:You CAN make someone else do the 3D model for you as long as you have the full permission by the creator to use it but it STILL needs to be made into a usable mod. Should you make a GROUP entry only 1 person out of the group can win, unless there are less than 3 winners in which case I would be ready to also give them a copy of the DLC.
5:Relatives of me (lol) can not participate...I only added this line because I wanted to.
6:A link to your MOD needs to be posted in THIS forum together with the clear indication that this is an entry by YOU.

ENTRIES: You are allowed ONE entry per person. If multiple are submitted, only one may be chosen for the voting process. If you already own all DLCs, you may appoint someone else to receive the DLC instead of you. I will not be paying you out in money or other games.

Event START: Right now.

End of Phase 1: 5Th of April 18:00 German time I will no longer accept entries and choose my personal favorites to put up for a vote.

Event Phase 2: I will put my chosen favorites in a list and put it up here for votes starting April 5th (as soon as possible) until April 10th 23:59.

Declaration of Winners: Should only 3 or less proper entries exist that follow the given rules, the voting will still take place to decide the grand winner but you all have already automatically won. Should the voting process actually be NEEDED I will declare the winner long before the DLC and we will have to exchange steam names/become steam friends. You will then automatically receive the DLC on launch day of said DLC or if there is a pre-order for the DLC, you will receive that.

If I forgot anything or you have any other questions, I will try to update everything in a timely manner!

Should this event be a "hit" , there will be more...

SUBMISSIONS:

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/294
Bayamon Freedom Carrier
By: Sco1981

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/299
Crucible Corp M Ship "Envy"
By: Brummbear02
Last edited by Shehriazad on Thu, 4. Apr 19, 23:51, edited 15 times in total.

StormMagi
x4

Re: Competition. Make a ship mod, win the first DLC!

Post by StormMagi » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:29

This is quite an idea, and very generous of you! I am not sure if just a month is enough time however, maybe make it two?
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:37

StormMagi wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:29
This is quite an idea, and very generous of you! I am not sure if just a month is enough time however, maybe make it two?
You know what, the DLC is still far away...I might as well. Of course I will not further extend it again and again. But this point is valid. It will take time just for people to even notice this. So it has been extended to April. Where it WILL stay :!:

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 22:11

well. since there is a huge difficulty difference between S, M, L and XL shits, aeh i mean ships, i guess ull get only L and XL suggestions.
also i havent heared of anyone beeing able to modify the collision model. im working on a split S(M3) bomber, an argon M bomber and my released Koha and Raptor atm and im pretty sure none of those 4 ships will be finished in the near future.
well the last two are operational but far from perfect.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 22:29

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 22:11
well. since there is a huge difficulty difference between S, M, L and XL shits, aeh i mean ships, i guess ull get only L and XL suggestions.
also i havent heared of anyone beeing able to modify the collision model. im working on a split S(M3) bomber, an argon M bomber and my released Koha and Raptor atm and im pretty sure none of those 4 ships will be finished in the near future.
well the last two are operational but far from perfect.
I am totally fine with people abusing things the way they aren't be meant to be used right now to get their ship "working".

So if S/M is hard to make...wouldn't it be an option "for now" to set it into the L category just so it works? I mean sure it's weird to build an L classed ship just to make it appear as a tiny dot in the XL construction bay...but hey, whatever works (for now)!

I also see mods already that at least edited existing S/M ships in the game and for example switch weapon mounts and whatnot...so it must be possible.

BUT..if all I get is L/XL ships for the entry, as long as they are original and fit into the factions described above, I am fine. I am not going to exclude anyone because of technical limitations or similar. Just do your best! There are two months to this contest. Should I get 0 entries until then...the prize will not vanish. I will likely make a new event then or just do a random draw.

But I have a lot of trust in you guys that your ingenuity will persevere. Plus it's very possible that someone figures it out soon or Egosoft improves modding capabilities.

Shehriazad
x4

Re: Competition. Make a ship mod, win the first DLC! (Temporary Sticky thread until mid Apr 2019)

Post by Shehriazad » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 18:46

Upgraded the GRAND PRIZE to an UPGRADE from normal to Collectors Edition.

This means instead of 3 Split DLCs there are now 1 Collectors Edition UPGRADE and 2 Split DLCs. Should the winner already own either of these I will figure something out together with the winner, as long as the prize remains X-related!

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Competition. Make a ship mod, win the first DLC! (Temporary Sticky thread until mid Apr 2019)

Post by linolafett » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 20:15

For everyne trying it, i can recommend trying yourself at large or extra large ships.
These are simpler to create than the small or medium sized ships.

Though i would love to see someone creating a small ship and have it working well.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 9. Feb 19, 01:25

linolafett wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 20:15
For everyne trying it, i can recommend trying yourself at large or extra large ships.

Though i would love to see someone creating a small ship and have it working well.
well. the biggest issue is edition collision meshes. it makes the game crash and it doesnt matter if its a S or XL sized ship. i managed to edit the part_mainXcollision on the discoverer but the slightest change to any other collision mesh of the ship or any other ship results in crashes. you could tell us what we are doing wrong :P

im also pretty sure thats the issue is with the converter since the egosoft discoverer has a file size of 2kb for detail_xl_airlock_r-collision.xmf and if u import that mesh into blender, make no changes and export it again ull get a file with 3kb that crashes your game. but somehow part_main-collision.xmf can be edited freely without making the game unstable.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Sat, 9. Feb 19, 19:25

BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 01:25
linolafett wrote:

well. the biggest issue is edition collision meshes. it makes the game crash and it doesnt matter if its a S or XL sized ship. i managed to edit the part_mainXcollision on the discoverer but the slightest change to any other collision mesh of the ship or any other ship results in crashes. you could tell us what we are doing wrong :P

im also pretty sure thats the issue is with the converter since the egosoft discoverer has a file size of 2kb for detail_xl_airlock_r-collision.xmf and if u import that mesh into blender, make no changes and export it again ull get a file with 3kb that crashes your game. but somehow part_main-collision.xmf can be edited freely without making the game unstable.
Maybe ask within the modding community on Nexus? I see some ship mods with new models imported that seem to work fine-ish and some people editing existing models (okay that's just turet position mods)...but that hints at it being possible.

That said...I would be really bummed out if I get 0 submissions ^^;

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 9. Feb 19, 19:51

Shehriazad wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 19:25
BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 01:25
linolafett wrote:

Maybe ask within the modding community on Nexus? I see some ship mods with new models imported that seem to work fine-ish and some people editing existing models (okay that's just turet position mods)...but that hints at it being possible.

That said...I would be really bummed out if I get 0 submissions ^^;
the turret positions are simply coordiantes in the xml file. no editing of the model needed here. and the only models that got changed that i know of are my Koha and sco`s a ship mod. but both are just using existing stuff and welding that together. kind of like the antigone heavy fighter and the quasar. both are Discoverers. if u look at the quasar its the lower half of the discoverer mirrored to the upper half.

Staberind
x4

Post by Staberind » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 09:14

I have collectors, but I can think of a couple of ppl who deserve X4, I'll get on it. I take it that this hull should fit with the modular system in X4?
Brumbbear has a head start on us already, ;)
Aladna Hill, Again, AP, 3.1. in the last Game worthy of the "X" title. <<<< X4 might just be changing this. :?:

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 21:42

Staberind wrote:
Sun, 10. Feb 19, 09:14
I have collectors, but I can think of a couple of ppl who deserve X4, I'll get on it. I take it that this hull should fit with the modular system in X4?
I will not look at technicalities here. Even if the mod you give us is not perfect, if the design of it is cool it will definitely be put up for vote. But like some modders and also the devs say right now, it's probably best if you stick to an L or XL design as S/M seem to be hard to do for modders as of now :]

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 01:31

Staberind wrote:
uhm. what do you mean by modular system? the guns and shields and stuff? u cant make a ship without it. or more like a ship without any choices is way more work.^^

Staberind
x4

Post by Staberind » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 01:00

BrummBear02 wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 01:31
Staberind wrote:
uhm. what do you mean by modular system? the guns and shields and stuff? u cant make a ship without it. or more like a ship without any choices is way more work.^^
Kha'ak ships don't have much in the way of modules, ;)
Aladna Hill, Again, AP, 3.1. in the last Game worthy of the "X" title. <<<< X4 might just be changing this. :?:

sco1981
x4

Re: Competition: Make a ship mod, win the first DLC! (Temporary Sticky thread until mid Apr 2019)

Post by sco1981 » Fri, 22. Feb 19, 22:17

Hi,

i want to participate with my Bayamon ship: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/294 and hope this would encourage other people to post their mods here. :)

StormMagi
x4

Re: Competition: Make a ship mod, win the first DLC! (Temporary Sticky thread until mid Apr 2019)

Post by StormMagi » Fri, 22. Feb 19, 23:02

I like. Reminds me of ATF :)
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 00:21

I thank you for your submission and see it as Terran themed

Thanks for being the first submission!

Labowski
x4

Post by Labowski » Sun, 3. Mar 19, 11:02

Good day. I would like to contribute/join the competition and create a ship. That said, could you please point me in the right direction as far as creating ships?

- Can I use Blender or do you suggest using a different 3D modeling program?
- What scripts/files do I need to create, edit, and modify existing ships?
- Is there a Youtube tutorial for creating/editing ships?

Thank you.
"Smokey, this is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules..." --Walter Sobchak

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 13:11

Labowski wrote:
Sun, 3. Mar 19, 11:02
Thank you.
That would be amazing.
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 5. Mar 19, 15:51

Labowski wrote:
Sun, 3. Mar 19, 11:02
Good day. I would like to contribute/join the competition and create a ship. That said, could you please point me in the right direction as far as creating ships?

- Can I use Blender or do you suggest using a different 3D modeling program?
- What scripts/files do I need to create, edit, and modify existing ships?

Thank you.
The current problem is that importing your own 3D meshes seems to be VERY hard.

The only big modder right now is the guy that submitted a ship that is also made for his mod "A ship mod".

Basically what you kind of want to be doing right now is taking all the meshes that are inside the game...and build new things WITH IT. That said, all the basic shapes exist...so it's very much just complex lego.

Someone did succeed importing his own models...so feel free to TRY this if you are tech savvy enough. Right now modding support is very much in its' infancy.

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=414274

This link points you at one "tutorial" for building your own ships...I wish you the best of luck :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. Even the developers currently recommend sticking to L/XL ship designs as those seem to be easier to implement for modders.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”