The Program..

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

gamesemailvp

The Program..

Post by gamesemailvp » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 23:17

With what program can I create or modify the .DAT files ???

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: The Program..

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 00:14

if you refer to the cat/dat pairs: just don’t touch them. You can change their contents indirectly via the Extensions.
You probably have to extract them though to get your reference files, the tool and explanation for that can be found here

on the question on how to change them it depends on what you want to do, but rule of thumb is to change an existing xml file you create an xml diff file ( tuto here ), for creating new xml files you just put them into your extension as is (in the respective subfolders of course) and in case of lua files use the _g workaround ( found here ). For any other file you can use the subst_01.cat/dat method, but i discourage this if there is an way around it.

All links here are btw either pinned themselves or linked in the Stickies, so usually no need to bookmark them.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

gamesemailvp

Post by gamesemailvp » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 01:29

UniTrader wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 00:14
if you refer to the cat/dat pairs: just don’t touch them. You can change their contents indirectly via the Extensions.
You probably have to extract them though to get your reference files, the tool and explanation for that can be found here

on the question on how to change them it depends on what you want to do, but rule of thumb is to change an existing xml file you create an xml diff file ( tuto here ), for creating new xml files you just put them into your extension as is (in the respective subfolders of course) and in case of lua files use the _g workaround ( found here ). For any other file you can use the subst_01.cat/dat method, but i discourage this if there is an way around it.

All links here are btw either pinned themselves or linked in the Stickies, so usually no need to bookmark them.
It is to modify an extensions that a line has bad (correct well) and it is an ext_01.DAT file

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 01:57

https://www.egosoft.com/download/x_rebirth/bonus_en.php

the X rebirth catalog tool can do that. but as unitrader said: dont fck with cat files in x4 main directory since its simply not necessary.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 06:55

if it's for changing an extension you can still use the tool I linked first. it can also pack files back into the cat/dat archives. Don't mess with them directly unless you know what you are doing since you can consider them basically as binary goo. Any change to the file size in the dat File (adding or removing even one letter) will mess up everything cause the file sizes don't match with the info in the cat file anymore.
Also the ego archives (01-09 plus the ext_** and subst_** in extensions/mods) always come in pairs of a cat file and a date file. if the cat is missing the game simply cannot use the dat.

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

gamesemailvp

Post by gamesemailvp » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 15:18

Thanks BrummBear02 and UniTrader
Yes!! Any change in the size of the file in the data file (adding or deleting even one letter) gives me problems ...
I have no problems with the .XML files, but with the .DAT if I have problems. I want to modify the extensions especially to translate to my language (Spanish) and it costs me a lot.
To translate them I am using the xvi32 program, but it does not let me add lines or I decompress the file.
Thanks!!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 16:23

you don't have to change any file to translate a mod if its done properly.
Just extract either the t/0001.xml or the t/0001-l044.xml * from the cats/dats
put it in the t-folder of the mod as loose file and rename it to 0001-l034.xml
Then you can translate this new file and all changes should be in the game if Spanish is your game language ;)

If there is any text you cannot translate this way take this Trout and slap the mod author with it: <°}}}<
Then tell him to put all his Text into the t-files so it can be translated easily. :D

* =both file names are working for the English Version, but the first one is used when there is no language specific file, the latter only for English

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”