[WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies 2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

BrummBear02
x3ap

Re: [WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 00:32

i think i linked it in like 10 posts already :D

https://discord.gg/QgDJ69j here you go
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Cg089
x4

Post by Cg089 » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 01:00

The links expire apparently, I tried an old one before.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 23:52

small update. Pictures will follow tomorrow.

I know you might get tired of me saying this but please tell me if u tried the tutorial and ran into any issues or if it works fine.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 9. Mar 19, 04:59

pictures added. should be all understandable now.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 04:29

in light of the increasing ammount of people trying to add ships i added the collision mesh part of the tutorial since i thought it might help someone.

well, enjoy.

also: if someone wants to add a part to this tutorial just write it here and ill add it to the post as long as its not an like "open materials.xml and add the desired material. then use it in blender" tutorial.

also i might need more posts soon, is it possible to slip in some or do i need to trouble whoever posted first under my reservations?

also i added the multimat material to the agenda since this one is great and a big hassle at the same time. i asked lino about it and i think i understand how to make use of it now but this requires some testing...

Sgt Hawker
x4

Post by Sgt Hawker » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 04:19

BrummBear02 how do I just bring your ship into blender, so I can learn that part and then if I have the time (Spring Football starts soon) I can learn how to convert the files and eventually upload if I ever get good enough. I have several ship ideas from S to XL but I want to get good at Blender first if I can.

Thanks Mate,

Hawker.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 03:20

Sgt Hawker wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 19, 04:19
BrummBear02 how do I just bring your ship into blender, so I can learn that part and then if I have the time (Spring Football starts soon) I can learn how to convert the files and eventually upload if I ever get good enough. I have several ship ideas from S to XL but I want to get good at Blender first if I can.

Thanks Mate,

Hawker.
im having trouble to understand what u wanna know.

the "Creating a copy of a existing ship, rename it and add it to a shipyard - Getting prepared" and "editing the mesh" part should cover everything needed to get x4 ships into blender. u need to convert the x4 ships to .dae and then simply import them

Sgt Hawker
x4

Post by Sgt Hawker » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 01:59

BrummBear02 wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 03:20
Sgt Hawker wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 19, 04:19

Thanks Mate,

Hawker.
im having trouble to understand what u wanna know.

the "Creating a copy of a existing ship, rename it and add it to a shipyard - Getting prepared" and "editing the mesh" part should cover everything needed to get x4 ships into blender. u need to convert the x4 ships to .dae and then simply import them
Thank you that covered it. I just want to build ships in Blender first. So I only needed the where to start, without having to do all of the steps. I usually do not have the time to learn everything, and just wanted to get my feet wet with trying to edit ships, so that when Spring Football is over with I may get into it more. As a Coach I wont have much time to game let alone learn all the steps to bringing in new ships.

Thanks again.

ALEX Bemelmans
x3

Post by ALEX Bemelmans » Mon, 27. May 19, 10:55

hi
thanks for this tutorial
i have some questions:

how it works for texture? i m working on the nodan S+ i add parts,collision, all is ok but how do i add a texture on this new added parts?

in the way of a new ship i have seen that ships have lod0 lod1 lod2 lod3 so ships will disapear if we make only a lod0 or it will keep the lod0 for all distances?

i saw another post where someone decrypted the .ani file with heximal editing so we can we had existing animation now?
(exemples: my ship have 3 landing gear and i want it to have 4 with the animation of the 3rd one (clone) can i? with editing the ani ,the xml and the dae)

is there any way to have a X3like invisible docking bay where the ship don t disappear but player teleported (to tube or cockpit)

the last one how to make glass parts?

thanks
my textid range: 909700-909799

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 27. May 19, 20:58

no. animations will take a while i guess. but lately i was busy with other stuff and didnt do much on modeling and so im not up to date what cg has achieved. maybe its possible now?
the landing gear thing u asked about isnt a problem. u could just add a mesh to your landing gear. it will have no collision but the visuals are there.

i added the uv texturing part. its not really in depth but that would be out of scope for this tutorial. so i just gave you guys a rough idea.

will add the vertex paint part soon.

i also want to add a "troubleshooting" part so if u get errors from the compiler or run into issues post the exact error here or describe your problem as acurrate as possible.

ghreab
x4

Post by ghreab » Sat, 6. Jul 19, 05:25

Mega thanks for this thread. Without it, I very likely would have not been able to add ships to the game.

Requested feedback (just stuff that comes to mind, all and all - it worked well enough for me):

(1) Thank you, again.

(2) It is a lot of information and is a little cluttered.
(2a) Intro paragraph trimmed and labeled as disclaimer section.

(3) .pdf or video(s) might be a friendlier format (subject to audience).

(4) Update example model, simpler modeling change, include model stages and annotations in code.

(5) "What can be done and what cant be done" move this to end or condensed for additional disclaimer.

(6) "Editing the mesh" updated model with annotated files and build stages could be helpful.

(7) "UV textures and vertex paint" Understand why included and agree it is a big topic on its own but I'm torn on if it is necessary.

(8) Troubleshooting Common errors when converting: Node part_detailXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached.
-faces in that node part intersecting (existing) in the same plane and so not unique; and/or/not that UV Map is off texturing?

(9) Thanks again, these are just mentioned in response to the feedback request.

(10) Came into this with a familiarity with Blender and .xml files so it wasn't all new.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 00:06

i understand some of your points, on others u need to provide me with examples so i understand you. also keep in mind my english isnt the best so use simple words :D

ghreab
x4

Post by ghreab » Mon, 8. Jul 19, 00:32

I'm mostly nit-picking the format. For a forum post, it is wonderful and I thank you again for putting it together!

The error using the export .dat :
"Node part_detailXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached"

Model's mesh has overlapping faces. Duplicate triangles or triangles that have intersecting areas are present in the mesh. Every triangle in the mesh needs a unique area.
There might also be something with UV Texture Mapping that can cause error, I'm not 100% on error message.

Thank you, again!

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Wed, 10. Jul 19, 09:20

"Node part_detailXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached" - that means the mesh uses multimaterial and converter won't to convert it, replace multimaterial by standart material before export.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 21. Jul 19, 03:48

actually none of the two is what the converter has an issue with. it doesnt like linked UV maps and multible materials on one node and thats what is says if you have done that. i havent run into in error i was unable to fix but i hardly remember them. sadly very few people create ships and even less report their bugs to me so the troubleshooting section will be empty for a long time^^

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Sun, 21. Jul 19, 20:16

Then this is only relevant for 3Ds max, but I came across this error if there is multimaterial in the scene.

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 15:51

Expected attribute "texcoord" at element "texture". whyyyy?

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 16:22

asd12301203 wrote:
Fri, 26. Jul 19, 15:51
Expected attribute "texcoord" at element "texture". whyyyy?
this happens when u export materials instead of UV Textures.
you are supposed to export UV Textures :)

[ external image ]

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 17:48

After I successfully import it, I still can't see the texture after entering the game.

But I can see a strange model

The model I am trying to try is the ADF-11F from the Ace Combat 7
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Fri, 26. Jul 19, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged three posts into one. In future please use the edit button in the top right of your own posts to prevent having multiple own posts in a short timeframe directly after each other.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 18:11

you might wanna put all that in one post. really no need for 3 ^^

also i cant do anything with that informations. u might wanna provide screenshots or a .blend file

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”