[WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies 2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ghreab
x4

Re: [WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies

Post by ghreab » Sat, 6. Jul 19, 05:25

Mega thanks for this thread. Without it, I very likely would have not been able to add ships to the game.

Requested feedback (just stuff that comes to mind, all and all - it worked well enough for me):

(1) Thank you, again.

(2) It is a lot of information and is a little cluttered.
(2a) Intro paragraph trimmed and labeled as disclaimer section.

(3) .pdf or video(s) might be a friendlier format (subject to audience).

(4) Update example model, simpler modeling change, include model stages and annotations in code.

(5) "What can be done and what cant be done" move this to end or condensed for additional disclaimer.

(6) "Editing the mesh" updated model with annotated files and build stages could be helpful.

(7) "UV textures and vertex paint" Understand why included and agree it is a big topic on its own but I'm torn on if it is necessary.

(8) Troubleshooting Common errors when converting: Node part_detailXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached.
-faces in that node part intersecting (existing) in the same plane and so not unique; and/or/not that UV Map is off texturing?

(9) Thanks again, these are just mentioned in response to the feedback request.

(10) Came into this with a familiarity with Blender and .xml files so it wasn't all new.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 00:06

i understand some of your points, on others u need to provide me with examples so i understand you. also keep in mind my english isnt the best so use simple words :D
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

ghreab
x4

Post by ghreab » Mon, 8. Jul 19, 00:32

I'm mostly nit-picking the format. For a forum post, it is wonderful and I thank you again for putting it together!

The error using the export .dat :
"Node part_detailXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached"

Model's mesh has overlapping faces. Duplicate triangles or triangles that have intersecting areas are present in the mesh. Every triangle in the mesh needs a unique area.
There might also be something with UV Texture Mapping that can cause error, I'm not 100% on error message.

Thank you, again!

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Wed, 10. Jul 19, 09:20

"Node part_detailXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached" - that means the mesh uses multimaterial and converter won't to convert it, replace multimaterial by standart material before export.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 21. Jul 19, 03:48

actually none of the two is what the converter has an issue with. it doesnt like linked UV maps and multible materials on one node and thats what is says if you have done that. i havent run into in error i was unable to fix but i hardly remember them. sadly very few people create ships and even less report their bugs to me so the troubleshooting section will be empty for a long time^^

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Sun, 21. Jul 19, 20:16

Then this is only relevant for 3Ds max, but I came across this error if there is multimaterial in the scene.

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 15:51

Expected attribute "texcoord" at element "texture". whyyyy?

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 16:22

asd12301203 wrote:
Fri, 26. Jul 19, 15:51
Expected attribute "texcoord" at element "texture". whyyyy?
this happens when u export materials instead of UV Textures.
you are supposed to export UV Textures :)

[ external image ]

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 17:48

After I successfully import it, I still can't see the texture after entering the game.

But I can see a strange model

The model I am trying to try is the ADF-11F from the Ace Combat 7
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Fri, 26. Jul 19, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged three posts into one. In future please use the edit button in the top right of your own posts to prevent having multiple own posts in a short timeframe directly after each other.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 18:11

you might wanna put all that in one post. really no need for 3 ^^

also i cant do anything with that informations. u might wanna provide screenshots or a .blend file

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 18:41

Last edited by asd12301203 on Fri, 26. Jul 19, 20:02, edited 4 times in total.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 19:20

mate, you really need to use that edit button. mods will get angry if u dont ^^

i take it you made your model in blender? this means u can save as .blend file and i really need that so see what you have done.
it looks like u worked on the second UV channel but the game uses the first. should be easily fixable.

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 19:45

BrummBear02 wrote:
Fri, 26. Jul 19, 19:20
mate, you really need to use that edit button. mods will get angry if u dont ^^

i take it you made your model in blender? this means u can save as .blend file and i really need that so see what you have done.
it looks like u worked on the second UV channel but the game uses the first. should be easily fixable.
I don't know how to send it to you. I am in China......

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 21:00

put it into a .rar and upload it to a one click hoster. or use a cloud system like google drive or dropbox.

i personally use https://mega.nz/

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Sat, 27. Jul 19, 02:32

BrummBear02 wrote:
Fri, 26. Jul 19, 21:00
put it into a .rar and upload it to a one click hoster. or use a cloud system like google drive or dropbox.

i personally use https://mega.nz/
https://mega.nz/#!WmZ2Da5S
key
PtMQocAujweGNb_jBeWeug3nFOFTp5e_kQLbmaUanhc

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 27. Jul 19, 10:49

oh boi. it will use x4 material "generic_p1_hulltexture" and not the one you included because of how custom materials work and the node naming. the drone is tilted by 90° along the x axis which will show ingame.

i dont have enough time to explain to you how to fix that, at least not today since i need to prepare for my birthday party and then do the party. and tomorrow ill have a hangover. so ill explain it monday ;)

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Sat, 27. Jul 19, 12:15

BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 27. Jul 19, 10:49
oh boi. it will use x4 material "generic_p1_hulltexture" and not the one you included because of how custom materials work and the node naming. the drone is tilted by 90° along the x axis which will show ingame.

i dont have enough time to explain to you how to fix that, at least not today since i need to prepare for my birthday party and then do the party. and tomorrow ill have a hangover. so ill explain it monday ;)

Thank you, happy birthday

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 4. Aug 19, 04:00

asd12301203 wrote:
Sat, 27. Jul 19, 12:15
BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 27. Jul 19, 10:49

Thank you, happy birthday
thanks. was a nice party^^ and sorry for my late reply.

while im writing this the video is still processing. so u might have to wait a few minutes if u read this right away ;)
the 90° turn along the X axis ive shown is just so blender displays its like its ingame. you dont have to do that.
to make the ship show your texture ingame you need to add the material in the lib and change the node name accordingly. i should have covered that in the video. to test it id need the whole mod.
tell me if it works.

ive uploaded the materials_libary file shown in the video here

https://mega.nz/#!paw1gaQL!AWAn7DLjk5bC ... kC3cTs088A

https://youtu.be/Cn-B9D1fOPs

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 6. Aug 19, 02:31

Added an example videos to give newcomers a rough idea what this is about. I still hope i can motivate one or two persons to actually release ships for this game :3

Also im willing to help anyone who asks for me help. dont be shy.
To get a rough idea of what you will be doing most of the time i put a video on youtube of me modeling for 1,5h on a X2 Titan remake.
If you watch from about 2:30min to 50min how im doing that detail you will get a rough idea of how long this all takes.
So patience is thing you need to bring most of. But dont get discouraged, its actually fun. On top of that its really calming work, at least for me.
Keep in mind im doing that purely as a hobby and the way i do things takes probably a lot more time since i barely know my way around blender.

https://youtu.be/wy7AbYdWYeI

asd12301203
x4

Post by asd12301203 » Tue, 6. Aug 19, 11:33

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 6. Aug 19, 02:31
Added an example videos to give newcomers a rough idea what this is about. I still hope i can motivate one or two persons to actually release ships for this game :3

Also im willing to help anyone who asks for me help. dont be shy.
To get a rough idea of what you will be doing most of the time i put a video on youtube of me modeling for 1,5h on a X2 Titan remake.
If you watch from about 2:30min to 50min how im doing that detail you will get a rough idea of how long this all takes.
So patience is thing you need to bring most of. But dont get discouraged, its actually fun. On top of that its really calming work, at least for me.
Keep in mind im doing that purely as a hobby and the way i do things takes probably a lot more time since i barely know my way around blender.

https://youtu.be/wy7AbYdWYeI
succeeded

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”