[MOD] Ship Reverse Engineering v1.2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mysterial
x4

[MOD] Ship Reverse Engineering v1.2

Post by Mysterial » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 03:55

This extension adds an option to a player-owned shipyard or equipment dock to analyze a docked ship you own, destroying it but learning blueprints from it.

Download Here
Also available on Steam Workshop

To use, dock the ship to analyze at the station and then contact either the ship trader or manager. Select Analyze Ship and then the ship to analyze. Only ships from which you can learn new blueprints will be displayed. Everything on the ship will be destroyed along with it, so remove any important staff or other items before starting.

If you are using a shipyard and you don't have the hull blueprint for the ship, you always get that. Otherwise, you get one or more random blueprints among the equipment on the ship: shields, thrusters, weapons, turrets, or engines.

The analysis will take up one of your ship build/equip slots while in progress. It will show up as if you were building a new ship, so you can check the time remaining. If you cancel, you will not get your ship back, so don't do that. :)

Feedback on balance would be appreciated. The blueprint costs are all over the place but I tried to set it up so it's not a guarantee you want to analyze; it should depend on the item, how badly you want it NOW as opposed to a while in the future, and how much you want the build slot it will take up.

Changes in v1.2:
  • Fixed not being able to obtain thruster blueprints
  • During analysis the previous ship name is used instead of a generic name (not retroactive)
Changes in v1.1:
  • Fixed L/XL analysis only working on combined wharf + shipyard stations
Last edited by Mysterial on Sun, 24. May 20, 15:15, edited 3 times in total.

Angsaar
x4

Re: [MOD] Ship Analysis

Post by Angsaar » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 07:03

Awesome!

Now the next logical step: A Venture in search of a parallel universe where Herb, that 5 Star genius pilot of yours is currently unemployed :D

Lets hire ALL the Herbs in the Multiverse!!!

sco1981
x4

Re: [MOD] Ship Reverse Engineering

Post by sco1981 » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 17:16

This sounds really nice.
Does it work with custom mods, which adds ships?

Mysterial
x4

Post by Mysterial » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 17:18

As long as the blueprint can be acquired by the player it should be fine.

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 13:38

good idea, indeed. :wink:
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 15:41

So what does this need to work?

I tried REing a several L ships, one at a time, but I can't get them to start. It's just stuck in a queue.

I have empty L ship bays, both maintenance and fabricators . Have Ship Trader, Manager, Building Drones, and credits.
My SY will build new ships fine, but it just won't RE. The Wharf works straight away however, with nothing but a Ship Trader and Manager.

Kinda confused.

Blackscorp_81
x4

Post by Blackscorp_81 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 16:07

Aranov wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 15:41
So what does this need to work?

I tried REing a several L ships, one at a time, but I can't get them to start. It's just stuck in a queue.

I have empty L ship bays, both maintenance and fabricators . Have Ship Trader, Manager, Building Drones, and credits.
My SY will build new ships fine, but it just won't RE. The Wharf works straight away however, with nothing but a Ship Trader and Manager.

Kinda confused.
Same here. It works for S/M Ships, but not for L/XL.

Mysterial
x4

Post by Mysterial » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 16:51

I will investigate.

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 16:17

Not to sound pushy, but how are things looking so far?
And would a save help?

Mysterial
x4

Re: [MOD] Ship Reverse Engineering v1.1

Post by Mysterial » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 21:55

Should be fixed now.

Existing stalled analysis should eventually start, but it might not happen right away. You can tell that it will eventually work because it should display a real build time instead of 0:00 when it was broken.

Azran_Zala
x4

Post by Azran_Zala » Sat, 22. Jun 19, 00:58

Thanks, great mod and a great enabler of player vs everyone playstyle.

Another idea might be a 'recycle ship' option for harvesting back some wares.

wanderer
x3tc

Post by wanderer » Tue, 10. Mar 20, 00:20

Not working on 2.60 - I get the menue, but it it's not starting the process. Even after roughly half hour (real time).
I also don't get the build timer.

Q.: Is it also analysing the steering engines?
It seems that you will not get them with only 'find_object_component' in the code... I tried with another mod, but it seems you'll not get the steering engines as a ware.

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 00:52

Would it be possible to make this so all ships take ~30-40 min to reverse-engineer?

Mysterial
x4

Post by Mysterial » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 05:17

It's possible for someone to make a mod off the mod that changes the timers, but my intent was to be balanced against normal blueprint acquisition so I'm not going to change it myself unless someone convinces me that it's never worth the savings in credits.

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Sun, 19. Apr 20, 04:48

swatti wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 00:52
Would it be possible to make this so all ships take ~30-40 min to reverse-engineer?
I've created a patch for the mod that adjusts the timers to:
S = 25 minutes
M = 30 minutes
L = 40 minutes
XL = 45 minutes

You can download the patch here from google drive

EDIT: JUST TO BE CLEAR, THIS PATCH REQUIRES THE MAIN MOD!

@Mysterial - if you don't want this link here let me know and I'll remove it.
Last edited by Drewgamer on Wed, 29. Apr 20, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

Perkel
x4

Post by Perkel » Sun, 19. Apr 20, 07:21

IT would be nice if research would also cost a lot of resources in addition to ship itself.

Icebird_HU
x4

Post by Icebird_HU » Tue, 28. Apr 20, 15:11

Mysterial wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 05:17
It's possible for someone to make a mod off the mod that changes the timers, but my intent was to be balanced against normal blueprint acquisition so I'm not going to change it myself unless someone convinces me that it's never worth the savings in credits.
Hi!

It's somewhat painful to reverse engineering a bigger ship compared with the NPC build time. I put a Buffalo to RE and it's calculated and done aprox 3 hours real game time. Meanwhile i earn ingame aprox 300M credits (w trading and factory profits). From that credit i can buy the buffalo blueprint ~5 times as i remember. And the shipyard module is busy at this time and can't build ships. (I tossed 4 ships to analyze and it blocked my ship prod line for 13 hour)
Maybe I'm do something wrong, but this process cannot be faster? The npc shipyard makes me a buffalo in ~10 mins. The number of station's build drones count in this process speed? I mean more build drones, more faster RE?
Maybe if you improving the mod, can you code it some way to RE processes can perform in only dedicated build modules?

Thx! And again for the mod too!

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Wed, 29. Apr 20, 07:38

Icebird_HU wrote:
Tue, 28. Apr 20, 15:11
Mysterial wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 05:17
Hi!

It's somewhat painful to reverse engineering a bigger ship compared with the NPC build time. I put a Buffalo to RE and it's calculated and done aprox 3 hours real game time. Meanwhile i earn ingame aprox 300M credits (w trading and factory profits). From that credit i can buy the buffalo blueprint ~5 times as i remember. And the shipyard module is busy at this time and can't build ships. (I tossed 4 ships to analyze and it blocked my ship prod line for 13 hour)
Maybe I'm do something wrong, but this process cannot be faster? The npc shipyard makes me a buffalo in ~10 mins. The number of station's build drones count in this process speed? I mean more build drones, more faster RE?
Maybe if you improving the mod, can you code it some way to RE processes can perform in only dedicated build modules?

Thx! And again for the mod too!
I'll refer you to my post on the previous page :)
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

RayF

Re: [MOD] Ship Reverse Engineering v1.2

Post by RayF » Sun, 31. May 20, 16:21

i just bought my first fabrication factory, and i have this mod.

i have some questions on how it works:

1) first, whats the difference between this mod and the 'recycle station and ship' mod????

2) I just boarded a teladi destroyer and send it for reverse engineering..it will take 3 hours! (i got the time mod after! ) so what will i get from this action? what BPrints?

3) if I sent the same ship as above for second time for recerse engineering what will i get??? which Bprints???

thanks to all.

Mysterial
x4

Re: [MOD] Ship Reverse Engineering v1.2

Post by Mysterial » Sun, 31. May 20, 16:48

RayF wrote:
Sun, 31. May 20, 16:21
1) first, whats the difference between this mod and the 'recycle station and ship' mod????
It seems that mod gives you back resources and may also give you blueprints. It looks like it probably requires multiple ships to get blueprints whereas this mod only takes one, but gives no resources and takes longer. I haven't used it so I couldn't tell you what the rates are.
2) I just boarded a teladi destroyer and send it for reverse engineering..it will take 3 hours! (i got the time mod after! ) so what will i get from this action? what BPrints?

3) if I sent the same ship as above for second time for recerse engineering what will i get??? which Bprints???
If you don't have the hull blueprint, you always get that and nothing else. If you have the hull blueprint already, then you get a couple of equipment blueprints for items that were equipped to the ship. If you have all the blueprints the ship can give you it won't show up to be analyzed so you don't have to worry about that.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”