[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 4.x

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Warnoise

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO)

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 12. Sep 19, 16:39

I have problem, i dont know if it is related to this mod. It seems i cant build gorgon sentinel from hop wharf. It just stays in queue forever (even though i feed the sation hull parts like crazy) and NPC ships always get ahead in queue.

Another crazy thing is that a gorgon sentinel requires about 1300 Hull part which is crazy considering wharf can only hold 8k hull part in the storage :s

Anyone else has this problem?

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Fri, 13. Sep 19, 11:42

Warnoise wrote:
Thu, 12. Sep 19, 16:39
I have problem, i dont know if it is related to this mod. It seems i cant build gorgon sentinel from hop wharf. It just stays in queue forever (even though i feed the sation hull parts like crazy) and NPC ships always get ahead in queue.

Another crazy thing is that a gorgon sentinel requires about 1300 Hull part which is crazy considering wharf can only hold 8k hull part in the storage :s

Anyone else has this problem?
This is not related to VRO.
Hopefully it should be fixed in 2.6, you can try it in beta now.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 11:56

Weird question but does this make any changes to boarding? Besides invul M turrets I mean.

I took over a phoenix this morning using just a disco vanguard and a single marine... all their crew but one gradually ejected and flew away while I sat under it ion-shotgunning various components, while he was sitting on its hull in the pre-breach phase. Then I cancelled the other ships that were (slowly) arriving and he took it alone.

idk if that's some obscure vanilla thing or what but I haven't taken any ships quite like that before.
***modified***

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 12:44

LameFox wrote:
Sat, 14. Sep 19, 11:56
Weird question but does this make any changes to boarding? Besides invul M turrets I mean.

I took over a phoenix this morning using just a disco vanguard and a single marine... all their crew but one gradually ejected and flew away while I sat under it ion-shotgunning various components, while he was sitting on its hull in the pre-breach phase. Then I cancelled the other ships that were (slowly) arriving and he took it alone.

idk if that's some obscure vanilla thing or what but I haven't taken any ships quite like that before.
As far as I know this is Vanilla behavior, VRO does no changes to boarding or crew capacities at all.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 20. Sep 19, 23:58

How the hell do I kill a M xenon with a pulsar :lol:

Im dead after a couple of hits :oops:
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Tue, 24. Sep 19, 21:12

I'm unable to target missile turrets on capital ships. Is that intentional? It's causing me to be unable to board if I set the target effectiveness to weak.
How do I destroy the missile turrets? Is it even possible or do I make it use up all its missiles? How will that work on actual combat capitals?

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Tue, 24. Sep 19, 21:26

Question does your mod work with the Rise of the Ossian Raider v1.3 and ashipmod if it works there is something bothering me when i try to build one off the raiders ships all the slots for weapons are empty https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1871853280

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 25. Sep 19, 02:11

Deeparth wrote:
Tue, 24. Sep 19, 21:12
I'm unable to target missile turrets on capital ships. Is that intentional? It's causing me to be unable to board if I set the target effectiveness to weak.
How do I destroy the missile turrets? Is it even possible or do I make it use up all its missiles? How will that work on actual combat capitals?
All M turrets are not destructible, this was made to combat vanilla bug that leads to destruction of all turrets in OOS combat fast leaving L ships defenseless.
Bording is a bit harder with this, yes, but L ships are more powerful in VRO, so you may need to work harder, use more ships for boarding or make them deplete all the ammunition.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 25. Sep 19, 02:13

Thecrippler wrote:
Tue, 24. Sep 19, 21:26
Question does your mod work with the Rise of the Ossian Raider v1.3 and ashipmod if it works there is something bothering me when i try to build one off the raiders ships all the slots for weapons are empty https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1871853280
It should work as far as im aware, but it will be very unbalanced. As for the bug in your screenshot - this is really weird, there is nothing in VRO that should cause this, it seems to me like a problem with ashipmod installation. Do you have Win 7 maybe?

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 25. Sep 19, 04:25

Shuulo wrote:
Wed, 25. Sep 19, 02:13
Thecrippler wrote:
Tue, 24. Sep 19, 21:26
It should work as far as im aware, but it will be very unbalanced. As for the bug in your screenshot - this is really weird, there is nothing in VRO that should cause this, it seems to me like a problem with ashipmod installation. Do you have Win 7 maybe?
yes am win 7 and yes i install the mod in to the right document and i did a fresh installation on the mods

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 26. Sep 19, 18:37

Is there a way to disable the sound effects? They are too overwhelmingly spacey for my taste. :)

On a side note: This mod seems to override some improvements and bugfixes from 2.6. My fleet ships are not moving in formation anymore with this mod enabled.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Fri, 27. Sep 19, 02:05

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 26. Sep 19, 18:37
Is there a way to disable the sound effects? They are too overwhelmingly spacey for my taste. :)

On a side note: This mod seems to override some improvements and bugfixes from 2.6. My fleet ships are not moving in formation anymore with this mod enabled.
VRO does not change any AI scripts or scripts at all, i do not see a way how it can impact formations.
There is a slight chance that disable boost can somehow impact this, but I will need to test it or other people to report.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 27. Sep 19, 09:46

Is there a weapon rebalance module only? (without the no boost and invulnerable M turrets)

Isemados VI
x4

Post by Isemados VI » Sun, 29. Sep 19, 06:23

can you made a version with boost?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 17:49

Warnoise wrote:
Fri, 27. Sep 19, 09:46
Is there a weapon rebalance module only? (without the no boost and invulnerable M turrets)
Yeah, I really like the weapon rebalances, but not the boost changes, speed changes, and invulnerable turrets.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 21:37

As I already mentioned, I do not plan to make it separate.
Every change here is for the reason.

There is no point in large ships without turrets in OOS, as they currently are in vanilla due to critical bug - thats why at least M turrets are indestructible (I really considered making even L turrets the same). If you want board ships without consequences and in easy way then sorry, this is not how I see this game, there should be a challenge.

Agility, speed, HP and shield health of ships are fully balanced against new weapon damages and behavior and to make combat more variable and fun, what is the point in balancing guns around poor game design in ship balance regards? Even if I release weapon module it will be a total mess, thats what it was at first when i started developing VRO and then came to realization that without changes to ships there is no point in making weapons as I want them.
You can unpack the mod and just delete the assets/units folder and try it yourself, its lame imo.

Boost was deactivated because its shit, abused by player and AI is utterly broken in using it. You can unpack the mod and delete the assets/props/engines folder to revert this change.

I will not release the mod in modules, VRO is being created as an overhaul to how you experience the game, as I see it, as I like it.
But you are free to do whatever you want with unpacked mod on your PC, its like 5 minutes learning how to unpack files and revert any change in it. Just do not post any patches based on my work without talking to me first.
Last edited by Shuulo on Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 23:20

Shuulo wrote:
Wed, 2. Oct 19, 21:37
As I already mentioned, I do not plan to make it separate.
Every change here is for the reason.

There is no point in large ships without turrets in OOS, as they currently are in vanilla due to critical bug - thats why at least M turrets are indestructible (I really considered making even L turrets the same). If you want board ships without consequences and in easy way then sorry, this is not how I see this game, there should be a challenge.

Agility, speed, HP and shield health of ships are fully balanced against new weapon damages and behavior and to make combat more variable and fun, what is the point in balancing guns around poor game design in ship balance regards? Even if I release weapon module it will be a total mess, thats what it was at first when i started developing VRO and then came to realization that without changes to ships there is no point in making weapons as I want them.
You can unpack the mod and just delete the assets/units folder and try it yourself, its lame.

Boost was deactivated because its shit, abused by player and AI is utterly broken in using it. You can unpack the mod and delete the assets/props/engines folder to revert this change.

I will not release the mod in modules, VRO is being created as an overhaul to how you experience the game, as I see it, as I like it.
But you are free to do whatever you want with unpacked mod on your PC, its like 5 minutes learning how to unpack files and revert any change in it. Just do not post any patches based on my work without talking to me first.
this is why i love your mod to make game challenge :) i hope in the future you will able to make projetacls a bit bigger special the pulse and plasma something similar like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUr0U9WDSAc at video 4.50

Wonsz
x4

Post by Wonsz » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 08:00

I think the mod is great the way it is now. Disabled boosting made enemies more challenging - they don't lose their shilds in a futile attepmt to escape out of player's range. Also, together with Rise of Ossian Riders, we get tough, demanding enemies with invulnerable turrets that can inflict some loses even to powerful fleets, so there's finally something to do in game when you have billions of credits.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 00:44

I do agree that boost, as implemented in vanilla, is a pretty poor feature. You can insta-boost away from anything if you have shields, then engage travel mode for instant high speed travel. Alternately, if you're actually getting your behind whooped by an opponent and your shields are down, you can't flee. While AI use of boost is better in 2.6, they don't totally drain their shields, they still don't quite appear to obey the same rules as the player at times. All in all, it's better off disabled in its current form and ships having their natural speed advantage preserved keeps the classes a little more distinct too.

If however there was a way to make boost separate from shield drain, and it only gave a 10-20% speed boost for a couple of seconds, then had a long-ish cool down timer, it'd be quite fun. No more spamming boost, but saving it for when you really need it. Great for the player, but I doubt the AI would use it appropriately. Only a thing for Fighters though really.

I'm currently testing the 2.6 Beta, so am totally vanilla for that reason and it's a bit painful at times and fire fights are far less pretty.

In the past with this mod I've started afresh, are there consequences of applying it to a game in progress? I.e. ships with weird hull values and the like? I would quite like to continue my vanilla save with some mods when 2.6 is officially released. No worries if not though.

Scoob.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 02:30

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 4. Oct 19, 00:44
I do agree that boost, as implemented in vanilla, is a pretty poor feature. You can insta-boost away from anything if you have shields, then engage travel mode for instant high speed travel. Alternately, if you're actually getting your behind whooped by an opponent and your shields are down, you can't flee. While AI use of boost is better in 2.6, they don't totally drain their shields, they still don't quite appear to obey the same rules as the player at times. All in all, it's better off disabled in its current form and ships having their natural speed advantage preserved keeps the classes a little more distinct too.

If however there was a way to make boost separate from shield drain, and it only gave a 10-20% speed boost for a couple of seconds, then had a long-ish cool down timer, it'd be quite fun. No more spamming boost, but saving it for when you really need it. Great for the player, but I doubt the AI would use it appropriately. Only a thing for Fighters though really.

I'm currently testing the 2.6 Beta, so am totally vanilla for that reason and it's a bit painful at times and fire fights are far less pretty.

In the past with this mod I've started afresh, are there consequences of applying it to a game in progress? I.e. ships with weird hull values and the like? I would quite like to continue my vanilla save with some mods when 2.6 is officially released. No worries if not though.

Scoob.
I think view on balance is subjective. I tried this mod, while there are indeed lots of great aspects in it, I got discouraged by the ship flight feeling and lack of boost. Whenever i find myself in firing range of xenon K when using a Nemesis, it is 100% death for me. I attacked a xenon K using about 10 Nemesis and 6 Perseus. 4 Nemesis died before even reaching the target, of course at the end they all died without doing significant damage (only dropping shield)

In the end I found myself spamming L ships everywhere since S and M ships became very useless for their costs. While it indeed makes the game more challenging, I am sorry to say this, it is not fun (for me at least). The battles look better, that's true, but seeing how useless anything below L class has become, I think it became closer to X-rebirth in that aspect.
That being said, I am not taking anything from this mod. It is a great a mod and its success proves that. But it isn't simply for me.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”