[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 4.x

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Shuulo
x4

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 2.x

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 1. Jun 20, 12:06

kaiser_33 wrote:
Mon, 1. Jun 20, 04:40

Hi could you teach me how to change ship speeds on your mod? what tools do i need and how to modify ship speeds ? i would like fighters to be slower, so there is a bigger need for cap ships around since they are supposed to transport small ships that cant cover a wide range of sectors.. a realistic feature..
Unpack the files and change "forwarddrag" value of ship macros file in assets/units/size_x/macros folder

Godis

Post by Godis » Mon, 1. Jun 20, 15:49

Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 1. Jun 20, 12:05
Godis wrote:
Sun, 31. May 20, 17:07
I'm having a problem where the entire game freezes since the update to 3.20 HF2 Beta version.

As of VRO it seem it's missing some signature file. I don't know if that is something to be worried about:

Just a snipped of the log:

And this is what I can see in the log straight before the freeze:

EDIT: I've had two conflicting mods installed and updated another one without deleting the prior version. But fixng these didn't fix the freezing issue. What could be causing this? And is the thing with missing .sig files something to worry about?
Signatures is not a problem, it just says that this is not original game file, any mod will generate those "errors"

As for the last, it seems to be faction AI, it has nothing to do with VRO as i dont touch it at all. Make sure you use the latest beta version from forum of Faction Enhancer, the officially released version currently is not working with 3.2 beta game.
Oh I totaly forgot about that! He updated the file but without mentioning it, so I thought it hasn't been updated since then. MANY THANKS!!

BoostHungry

Post by BoostHungry » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 03:57

Confirming that the 3.2 Beta 3 turret issues are still just a vanilla issue?

Threads:
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=427964
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=427981

How am I able to reproduce this immediately and the devs haven't caught it themselves???

ScandyNav
x4

Post by ScandyNav » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 12:46

BoostHungry wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 03:57

How am I able to reproduce this immediately and the devs haven't caught it themselves???
Because DEVs don't use mods? :mrgreen:

BoostHungry

Post by BoostHungry » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 14:23

So as many probably assumed, they won't look at my saves due to mods. I hold VRO in such high regard that I hoped they would be more concerned.

My universe is so broken right now (Beta 3), no Xenon capital ship is willing to even try and take more than a single shot at me. Killed a Xenon I practically by myself with a handful of ships without it ever doing anything. I never would have been able to do that with those ships prior to these issues.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 4. Jun 20, 00:13

Just to add my experiences - 3.2 Beta 3 + VRO, FE and some other mods - Xenon Capital ships appear to be shooting at me just fine during my limited encounters with them this evening. The only issue I have with turrets really is that "Attack my Current Enemy" does NOT work, unless I actually get HIT by that enemy. I.e. if I'm sitting in a ship's blind spot so it never hits me, my turrets (with the ship or a hard point targetted) will NOT fire while the target isn't hitting me. The moment I move out of cover and it does hit me, my turrets set to "Attack my Current Enemy" instantly wake up and work fine. It's almost as if they don't consider the target an enemy, despite it being RED and my having hit it multiple times with fixed weapons.

Scoob.

ScandyNav
x4

Post by ScandyNav » Thu, 4. Jun 20, 13:14

The problem with Xenon turrets do exist. But in my game they shoot. Not as intense as before beta 20, but not completely broken/not shoot at all.

BoostHungry

Post by BoostHungry » Thu, 4. Jun 20, 14:06

Was testing again last night and the xenon turrets would constantly cycle between the locked forward looking position vs swiveling to fire, but at least they wouldn't try to constantly open/close. If I stood in front of them, they would fire, but if I stood above them then they would try to swivel towards me and the give up. I checked my save file and the pilot of the Xenon ship was maxed out, so my issue may be related to the issue that high level pilots cause turrets to break (reported and acknowledged as a bug in the Egosoft forums). If the devs don't take this bug seriously, then I'm going to have to take another break from the game. :(

Knjaz136

Post by Knjaz136 » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 12:29

How playable is this mod WITh Highways?

As a Freelancer plaeyr in the past, the apearrance of "Trade Lane's" (Freelancer's term, same thing) in X4 is what finally clicked it for me. The ship balance feels horrendous though, as there're clear "the absolute best with no competition" ships, like Nemesis corvettes, combined with the lack of proper M2.
So I'm looking for a great Ship balancing mod, but without cutting important content from the game.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 14:52

Knjaz136 wrote:
Thu, 11. Jun 20, 12:29
How playable is this mod WITh Highways?

As a Freelancer plaeyr in the past, the apearrance of "Trade Lane's" (Freelancer's term, same thing) in X4 is what finally clicked it for me. The ship balance feels horrendous though, as there're clear "the absolute best with no competition" ships, like Nemesis corvettes, combined with the lack of proper M2.
So I'm looking for a great Ship balancing mod, but without cutting important content from the game.
Issue with the highways is that they pretty much break the game. There's no real need for strategy with the highways because they allow you to bypass security. That is how you get xenon and pirates into core sectors without so much as a shot being fired at them. VRO rebalances all the engines so that you won't notice not having a highway timing wise. Only thing I miss about not having the highway, is easy discovery of new sectors/missions. The highway also messes AI logic up quite a bit, lots of bugs that get pilot AI locked into going back and forth through the same gate, on and off the highway.

As to freelancer, these highways and the highways in freelancer are not even close to the same thing and they serve no game play feature set like they did in Freelancer.

Knjaz136

Post by Knjaz136 » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 16:56

Rastuasi wrote:
Thu, 11. Jun 20, 14:52
Issue with the highways is that they pretty much break the game. There's no real need for strategy with the highways because they allow you to bypass security. That is how you get xenon and pirates into core sectors without so much as a shot being fired at them. VRO rebalances all the engines so that you won't notice not having a highway timing wise. Only thing I miss about not having the highway, is easy discovery of new sectors/missions. The highway also messes AI logic up quite a bit, lots of bugs that get pilot AI locked into going back and forth through the same gate, on and off the highway.

As to freelancer, these highways and the highways in freelancer are not even close to the same thing and they serve no game play feature set like they did in Freelancer.
Thank you, I thought it's the "preference" thing of original X3 players, but if they currently have such breaking effect on gameplay, then I guess it's worth a try. Will have to find a mod that lets you buy core sector maps, though.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 17:29

I think highways going through gates is the issue. Pure intra-sector highways to speed up access to key points, such as resource fields or a distant major station, such a shipyard, would likely be fine. As mentioned above, they are a major security hole as well as making it easy to blast past a blockade without issue much of the time.

That said, I play with Highways and also loved them in Freelancer. I actually preferred the whole "booster ring" approach vs. X4's "glowy magic band" - functionally the same, visually rather different. Plus, I loved how you could disrupt a Trade Lane ring to eject ships, a great Pirate activity. I do wonder if vanilla Highways will ever evolve in X4 at all?

Scoob.

MiFoludek
x3tc

Post by MiFoludek » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 21:15

Hi,

Not sure if it is related to VRO or vanilla but my M ships never fire torpedos against K,V Xenons. (I was testing firestorm torpedo on Cerberus).

Is it bug or only my game is broken?

BR

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 21:53

MiFoludek wrote:
Thu, 11. Jun 20, 21:15
Hi,

Not sure if it is related to VRO or vanilla but my M ships never fire torpedos against K,V Xenons. (I was testing firestorm torpedo on Cerberus).

BR
1.Make sure torpedo is selected as ammunition.
2. Make sure pilot is at least 3 starts, AI skill has limits on how often it can uses missiles on low skill, sometimes it didnt fire for me as well, having good crew resolves this. (just use some mod for this)

MiFoludek
x3tc

Post by MiFoludek » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 22:27

Shuulo wrote:
Fri, 12. Jun 20, 21:53
MiFoludek wrote:
Thu, 11. Jun 20, 21:15
Hi,

BR
1.Make sure torpedo is selected as ammunition.
2. Make sure pilot is at least 3 starts, AI skill has limits on how often it can uses missiles on low skill, sometimes it didnt fire for me as well, having good crew resolves this. (just use some mod for this)
The M ship has selected torpedo as ammunition and has 5 star crew. (There is no issue with S ship, they are using torpedos very often). The issue is only visible with M class.
The Cerberus has only topredo tubes - no forward guns - maybe that is the reason?

DemonicWeebAMV

Post by DemonicWeebAMV » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 05:39

for some reason this mod, if enabled removes any kind of ship trader from the game

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 11:18

MiFoludek wrote:
Fri, 12. Jun 20, 22:27

The M ship has selected torpedo as ammunition and has 5 star crew. (There is no issue with S ship, they are using torpedos very often). The issue is only visible with M class.
The Cerberus has only topredo tubes - no forward guns - maybe that is the reason?
Ah yeah, this can also be the reason, missile use AI is very unpredictable in X4 unfortunately, hopefully this will be fixed by devs

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sun, 14. Jun 20, 19:58

Version 2.1.95, but named 2.2
NOTE: THIS IS NOT 2.2 WITH NEW FEATURES, STEAM is not able to make 2.1.95 version so i had to use 2.2. Planned features for 2.2 will be called 2.3 instead.
Fully compatible with previous saves.
Final version before full work on 2.2 starts, this one brings some polish and a bit of a rebalance due to turret improvements in 3.2 (and potential fixes of remaining issues in next patch according to devs).

Notable changes:
- New Split battleship Gharial designed to go toe-to-toe with heavy ships. Having a bit more HP, one more shield generator 11 L turrets with good coverage but approximately 50% less M turrets than Raptor it is much better suited for long range engagements with enemy battleships. Its also more expensive than Raptor.
- New powered beam weapons that can utilize full power of XL energy generators on Carriers, so only them can mount those extremely powerful weapon systems, only one per ship and race-specific. Raptor does not get one though as it already uses its full potential.
- ALL M and L turrets were slightly nerfed. 10% for general or anti-cap turrets (15% for heavy lances) and 15% for anti-s turrets. This is made to balance them out with better targeting of turrets and to improve surviveability of smaller ships to make them more viable.

Miscellaneous:
- few bugs squashed.
- some weapons that used ambient sound now use correct ones, expect Ion Projector, Tri Beam and Positron Beam, was not able to fix them somehow, will do in next version.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Mon, 15. Jun 20, 00:17

Just a tip for next time, you can use -minor on workshop tool and it will allow you to update with the same version number. Don't let steam ruin your versioning!

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 15. Jun 20, 02:18

DeadAirRT wrote:
Mon, 15. Jun 20, 00:17
Just a tip for next time, you can use -minor on workshop tool and it will allow you to update with the same version number. Don't let steam ruin your versioning!
yeah, could have used that, but really wanted to have new version, as new ship is quite major thing to add.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”