[MOD]DeadAir Mods

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

shovelmonkey
x4

Re: [MOD]DeadAir Mods

Post by shovelmonkey » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 18:54

DeadAirRT wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 18:30
shovelmonkey wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 16:34
DeadAirRT wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 15:52

XR ship pack causes tons of extra ships. On the order of up to several thousand because of a poor diff. You can check in the thread where I gave him solutions on how to fix it.
Well that is a shame. I was rather enjoying the ship pack, but I'm on a knife's edge with performance as it is with the extra sectors. I had read his thread and saw your comments. Seems like a simple fix, I wish I had the knowledge to make the changes myself as both of your mods have become must have's.
If you have his mod with loose files, I could easily send you a fixed version
I extracted the mod and am thus using it in loose form. So that would be awesome...
“Not even once has life or the weather complained about a human being.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:07

I started running the same set of mods as before, minus the XR ship pack and XR ship pack VRO, and just sat in the starting sector for a while. Zoomed out, the map started out at 40 fps, after about an hour and a half it was down to 30, so it was continually dropping.

I think it just comes down to the fact the the factions are all so busy building stations and expanding in the gigantic universe, that the slowdown is just due to their massive expansion over time. I also notice that with this set of mods, engaging SETA is basically impossible. I was sitting at 60 fps in an empty sector, turned it on, and FPS dropped to 2.

Ship Reverse Engineering
Better Kill Credit
Better Piracy
Jump Drive Lite
Crystal Finder
DeadAir Dynamic Wars
DeadAir Dynamic Wars Start
DeadAir Gate Overhaul
DeadAir Ware
Early SETA
Split Vendetta
Escape Teleport
Faction Enhancer - War Module
Faction Enhancer - Catchup Module
Faction Enhancer - Econ AI Module
Faction Enhancer - Econ Balance Mod
Legacy Music - Full
Disable Encounter
minefield - off
NoSuperHighway
No Battle music
No Dark Ambient
Reactive Factions
Remove wait for you
SectorSatellites
Skip Intro
SirNukes Mod Support APIs
Variety and Rebalance Overhaul
X4 Fire and Smoke

My specs
i7 7700K
16 GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 1060 6 GB

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:57

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:07
*snip*
Did you not see my previous post? Because this makes it seem like you completely ignored it.

The map performance in an Egosoft thing. It's been trash since day one but supposedly 3.2 is better. The more stuff you have visible, the worse map performance will be.

As to SETA, yeah...I'm not sure what you expect. If you expect to run 10k ships at what, 4x speed? This is not remotely feasible and likely will never be for this game unless egosoft pulls a miracle with this engine.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 01:00

DeadAirRT wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:57
Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:07
*snip*
Did you not see my previous post? Because this makes it seem like you completely ignored it.

The map performance in an Egosoft thing. It's been trash since day one but supposedly 3.2 is better. The more stuff you have visible, the worse map performance will be.

As to SETA, yeah...I'm not sure what you expect. If you expect to run 10k ships at what, 4x speed? This is not remotely feasible and likely will never be for this game unless egosoft pulls a miracle with this engine.
Actually, I didn't see your previous post, my apologies! Thanks for the feedback on the mods, it is greatly appreciated. I'm still not really a fan of the idea behind the deadair fill mod, I don't like spawning or removing wares. I'd rather let things just sort of evolve naturally, even if it leads to imbalances at the start of the game.

You said "As to XR ship pack, If you have the loose files, I'd be glad to send you a *fixed* version of the diffs that wont cause excessive ships."

I'm not sure what you mean by "loose files" or "diffs", sorry I am not up to speed on these terms! But anything that would help would be great. I really love the size of the universe in your mod.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 01:56

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 01:00
Actually, I didn't see your previous post, my apologies! Thanks for the feedback on the mods, it is greatly appreciated. I'm still not really a fan of the idea behind the deadair fill mod, I don't like spawning or removing wares. I'd rather let things just sort of evolve naturally, even if it leads to imbalances at the start of the game.

You said "As to XR ship pack, If you have the loose files, I'd be glad to send you a *fixed* version of the diffs that wont cause excessive ships."

I'm not sure what you mean by "loose files" or "diffs", sorry I am not up to speed on these terms! But anything that would help would be great. I really love the size of the universe in your mod.
All good, I was like "is this guy straight up ignoring me?"

Basically, when you look in the XR ship pack folder, is it a cat/dat file or individual files?

As to the performance, I can *try* to publish a lower intensity version but keep in mind one thing:

The economy will go through a massive cycle of expansion in the very beginning when factions try to shore up holes and conquer the initial ownerless zones. I typically start out at 120 FPS then drop down into the 80's at the worst of it in empty space. After most of the stations are built and the economy re-stabilizes, my fps goes back up into the 100's. It does take several hours to reach that stage, and the more the economy is struggling to keep up, the more stressful that period would be.

As to fill, don't think of it so much as removing wares as trading them for ship mods. Whenever a ware reaches the high capacity threshold at tradestation, they trade those wares for ship mods on one of their faction's L/XL ships. Tradestations will basically tell you the health of the economy since they buy at average price for the most important wares. If something is well stocked, they have excess production but if something is empty, they are experiencing a shortage of supply or transportation.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 03:00

DeadAirRT wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 01:56
Basically, when you look in the XR ship pack folder, is it a cat/dat file or individual files?
They are cat/dat files, and content.xml

As far as as faction enhancer goes, it causes X4 3.2 beta to freeze, so that's off the table for the time being.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 04:20

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 03:00
DeadAirRT wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 01:56
They are cat/dat files, and content.xml

As far as as faction enhancer goes, it causes X4 3.2 beta to freeze, so that's off the table for the time being.
Mysterial has a version for the beta in his forum thread.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 06:52

I noticed, about 9 hours into my game with VRO + DeadAir mods (including Dynamic Wars), that none of the main factions are at war with each other. They fighting is mostly versus the Xenon. Once the factions have finished their expansion and filled up their sector (do factions have limits on how many stations they can put into sectors by the way?), will the factions begin to fight for territory?

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 07:27

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 06:52
I noticed, about 9 hours into my game with VRO + DeadAir mods (including Dynamic Wars), that none of the main factions are at war with each other. They fighting is mostly versus the Xenon. Once the factions have finished their expansion and filled up their sector (do factions have limits on how many stations they can put into sectors by the way?), will the factions begin to fight for territory?
Dynamic war is mostly weighted rng. I can assure you there will be wars, but there isn't anything in particular that triggers it. Once a war starts, the faction logic will have them fight over sectors that are owned by enemies and adjacent. They also will have a chance at launching their flagship fleet at a random enemy sector that will attempt to destroy all the stations.

MiFoludek
x3tc

Post by MiFoludek » Fri, 5. Jun 20, 20:42

Hi,

Just wondering if there are new backgrounds for new sectors?

Phiolin
x4

Post by Phiolin » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 14:32

Quick error report:

Code: Select all

[=ERROR=] 0.00 Error loading MD file extensions\deadairdynamicwarstart\md\X4Ep1_Mentor_Subscription.xml: Ignoring root node 'diff' in XML file 'extensions\deadairdynamicwarstart\md\X4Ep1_Mentor_Subscription.xml'.
Not sure if it actually affects anything, as otherwise it seems to work fine...
It should be enough to rename the file to lower-case letters to load it properly.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 17:03

Phiolin wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 14:32
Quick error report:

Code: Select all

[=ERROR=] 0.00 Error loading MD file extensions\deadairdynamicwarstart\md\X4Ep1_Mentor_Subscription.xml: Ignoring root node 'diff' in XML file 'extensions\deadairdynamicwarstart\md\X4Ep1_Mentor_Subscription.xml'.
Not sure if it actually affects anything, as otherwise it seems to work fine...
It should be enough to rename the file to lower-case letters to load it properly.
That error happens with every diff on an md. I'm pretty sure i renamed to lower-case long ago but I'll double check

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 18:04

Any body else having problems with Sir Nukes API breaking their map in version 3.2? I am asking here because the API is now a requirement for this mod to work and I first noticed it trying to do a new game start.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 19:07

boogieman335 wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 18:04
Any body else having problems with Sir Nukes API breaking their map in version 3.2? I am asking here because the API is now a requirement for this mod to work and I first noticed it trying to do a new game start.
Define breaking the map?

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 19:19

DeadAirRT wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 17:03
That error happens with every diff on an md. I'm pretty sure i renamed to lower-case long ago but I'll double check
It only happens with capitalized file names. I assume there's some spurious code that tries to load the patch as its own script (since the name casing is different), then later loads it again as a case-insensitive diff patch.
boogieman335 wrote:
The api itself doesn't touch the map, though removing it may disable some other mod that uses the api to touch the map. If you are using Extra Game Options, make sure that's updated. One of the betas caused that extension to break the map, but I pushed out a same day fix.

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Mon, 8. Jun 20, 00:21

SirNukes wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 19:19
DeadAirRT wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 17:03
It only happens with capitalized file names. I assume there's some spurious code that tries to load the patch as its own script (since the name casing is different), then later loads it again as a case-insensitive diff patch.
boogieman335 wrote:
The api itself doesn't touch the map, though removing it may disable some other mod that uses the api to touch the map. If you are using Extra Game Options, make sure that's updated. One of the betas caused that extension to break the map, but I pushed out a same day fix.
Ok thank s I'll check the options file, though I thought it was the newest one. This happened once before when Ego updated something and I solved it by updating the API file so I assumed that it was because of the last EGo update to 3.2. I been keeping 2 copies of the game , one that requires Steam to run and one that launches using the no steam .exe file for modding and I stripped all the mods out of the extension folder except the options file and the API and the Split DLC and it still wouldn't load the map. I'll edit this after I get a chance to test it.
edit: Ok the options file was indeed the culprit. I got the the one from Github ver 1.9 and all is now good with the map thanks for the quick response.

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Mon, 8. Jun 20, 00:59

DeadAirRT wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 19:07
boogieman335 wrote:
Define breaking the map?
What it did was it makes it so just the new little info box comes up instead of the map when you press "m". I was doing a new start with the dynamic war start after I updated my modded game to 3.20 and it started just fine except I couldn't board the ecplise it just froze at the ladder. I just fixed a modded ship that had this same problem, and I have seen it before in other ships the comorant comes to mind right after EGO does an update and they generaly put out a fix within a couple of days, so I wasn't worrried about that but then almost right away the station and the mammoth came under attack by a huge swarm of kahk and they blew through the 2 discover's like thy weren't even there and then I tried to access the map and couldn't so I knew something was screwy with the API cause like I said I had seen this before and solved it by updating the API , only this time I guess it was the options file that caused it. I was like this dynamic war thing is really kickin in this time, and here I am stuck on this station with no ship to fight em off and can't even see the damn map to see how many of em there are. LOL So big dummy that I am I tried starting it again and this time same thing happened only it was the Split invading at least according to the voices on the Radio. They took out the Discovers and the mammoth was screaming for back up when I decided I better go find help so I can at least get in the fight and that of course led me to post here LOL

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Mon, 8. Jun 20, 02:08

boogieman335 wrote:
Mon, 8. Jun 20, 00:59
DeadAirRT wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 19:07
boogieman335 wrote:
Define breaking the map?
What it did was it makes it so just the new little info box comes up instead of the map when you press "m". I was doing a new start with the dynamic war start after I updated my modded game to 3.20 and it started just fine except I couldn't board the ecplise it just froze at the ladder. I just fixed a modded ship that had this same problem, and I have seen it before in other ships the comorant comes to mind right after EGO does an update and they generaly put out a fix within a couple of days, so I wasn't worrried about that but then almost right away the station and the mammoth came under attack by a huge swarm of kahk and they blew through the 2 discover's like thy weren't even there and then I tried to access the map and couldn't so I knew something was screwy with the API cause like I said I had seen this before and solved it by updating the API , only this time I guess it was the options file that caused it. I was like this dynamic war thing is really kickin in this time, and here I am stuck on this station with no ship to fight em off and can't even see the damn map to see how many of em there are. LOL So big dummy that I am I tried starting it again and this time same thing happened only it was the Split invading at least according to the voices on the Radio. They took out the Discovers and the mammoth was screaming for back up when I decided I better go find help so I can at least get in the fight and that of course led me to post here LOL
Ah oh. And the Khaak are my doing. Enjoy the danger. :mrgreen:

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 04:34

Just figured I would do a quick write up to put some info out.

First, don't expect an update for a bit as I'm testing major changes (yet again, I know) to work on performance. Right now, I'm sure many have noticed that after a bit into the game, the FPS takes a huge hit. This was happening before but not nearly as bad in 3.1. As I work to track down what the cause of it is, I figured it would help to share at least a little of what I know. The game runs much better with a healthy economy and one of the most visible factors during the slowdown is a shortage of hull parts globally. Suddenly the logic for stations starts trying to grab traders to help them, the traders search for trades longer, and it recovers very slowly. Assisting with the hull parts shortage, using DeadAir Ware to inject wares to trade stations, or whatever solutions you can think of will help the slowdown get by sooner. You might wonder why I don't just add more stations and the answer is that the engine also struggles with a certain number of entities (stations + ships). The limit for my CPU seems to be around 12K ships and the amount of stations present after about 30 hours into a new save. Obviously everyone has different rigs, so I've been making many adjustments to help people enjoy the mod without playing a slide show. TLDR: supply hull parts ASAP and major update inc eta unknown

I've also managed to complete an optional highway system that is INTRA faction for the major factions. It was a huge pain, but I actually like how it turned out despite hating the vanilla one. The highway runs around the core grouping of sectors (the 6 sectors surrounding the shipyard sector). It doesn't connect to enemy space, and it's not quite as perfect as the vanilla one (since it was done by hand with math).

That's all I can think of for now, back to going over tens of thousands of lines of code.

shovelmonkey
x4

Post by shovelmonkey » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 15:08

DeadAirRT wrote:
Thu, 11. Jun 20, 04:34
Just figured I would do a quick write up to put some info out.

First, don't expect an update for a bit as I'm testing major changes (yet again, I know) to work on performance. Right now, I'm sure many have noticed that after a bit into the game, the FPS takes a huge hit. This was happening before but not nearly as bad in 3.1. As I work to track down what the cause of it is, I figured it would help to share at least a little of what I know. The game runs much better with a healthy economy and one of the most visible factors during the slowdown is a shortage of hull parts globally. Suddenly the logic for stations starts trying to grab traders to help them, the traders search for trades longer, and it recovers very slowly. Assisting with the hull parts shortage, using DeadAir Ware to inject wares to trade stations, or whatever solutions you can think of will help the slowdown get by sooner. You might wonder why I don't just add more stations and the answer is that the engine also struggles with a certain number of entities (stations + ships). The limit for my CPU seems to be around 12K ships and the amount of stations present after about 30 hours into a new save. Obviously everyone has different rigs, so I've been making many adjustments to help people enjoy the mod without playing a slide show. TLDR: supply hull parts ASAP and major update inc eta unknown

I've also managed to complete an optional highway system that is INTRA faction for the major factions. It was a huge pain, but I actually like how it turned out despite hating the vanilla one. The highway runs around the core grouping of sectors (the 6 sectors surrounding the shipyard sector). It doesn't connect to enemy space, and it's not quite as perfect as the vanilla one (since it was done by hand with math).

That's all I can think of for now, back to going over tens of thousands of lines of code.
Sounds impressive! Can't wait to see it.
“Not even once has life or the weather complained about a human being.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”