Are we going to see more x4 mods on steam workshop?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Buzz2005
x4

Re: Are we going to see more x4 mods on steam workshop?

Post by Buzz2005 » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 14:58

as long as its here I dont care where is the upload, but not all are so if you want all mods you have to check here, nexus and steam...

so this is not that importanat, getting mods should be a little scattered and convoluted so people learn in the process
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

rosssack
x4

Post by rosssack » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 15:44

BrummBear02 wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:14
Olfrygt wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 09:45
DeadAirRT wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:03
Here is my opinion of steam workshop as a modder:

It requires me to do a few extra steps that aren't difficult, but would be annoying to do every single update.
I have to check an additional location for feedback, questions, or requests for help. (This is my main annoyance)
It only serves the people who got the game on steam.
Alot of people will never make an account on Nexusmods. I don't trust the side so i will never do it. And i can't download the mods without an account.

If new players will buy the game. They are probably new to X4 and mods aswell. They are probably younger and have no idea how to install a mod.

People have to take a high effort to keep the mods updated. Go to the site, check all mods for updates. Install them manually.

This kinda sucks. And i think i can say most people prefer the Workshop.

And yes i installed mods for X2/3 aswell 15years ago....now 15 years later im simply out of that stuff. Workshop? Yes i will give it a try. Nexusmods? Nope not anymore.

Don't forget u are 1 person creating the mod. And u have to do a few more steps to get it into the workshop.

But! All the players are using it have to more steps to keep it updated if u are using nexusmods.
Updating 10mods with each major patch costs some non geek users hours of work.
What do you mean you don't trust them? With what? And why do you trust steam?

Especially the younger ones can be bothered with learning a bit about the stuff they use. I get that a 60 y/o farmer just wants to drive around his space ship in peace and can't be bothered with more.

And what actually really pisses me off is that you are talking about effort. We present stuff for free and basically ask for nothing in return and you still sound like you are complaining. Hours of work for all the players? We sink in hundreds of them to create mods and still you ask us, in a manner that sounds like your or all the players time is more precious than ours, to sink in some more to provide another way while it's indeed mostly only one person with very limited time creating that mod. Not easier, not better. Not even more convenient. Also registering to nexus, downloading their manager and then hit the "install with manager" button hardly counts as hours. Also their manager offers a easy way to update the mod. It notifys you and offers an update button.

I think a modders does not ask for too much if he asks you put in an hour or two to learn how things work.

If that's to bothersome for some people, fck them.
nexus is great for me if it wernt for modders I will not be playing half arsed games ,no complaints

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 23:01

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 14:31
There seems to be some sort of snobbish bias against Steam workshop, in favor of nexus. Personally, I think those who have good mods and have the opportunity to post them on Steam workshop but are not doing so are doing both themselves and the wider X community a disservice.
I haven't seen one case of snobbish bias against Steam workshop, care to show an example?

taintedxodus
x4

Post by taintedxodus » Mon, 15. Apr 19, 00:40

DeadAirRT wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 23:01
Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 14:31
There seems to be some sort of snobbish bias against Steam workshop, in favor of nexus. Personally, I think those who have good mods and have the opportunity to post them on Steam workshop but are not doing so are doing both themselves and the wider X community a disservice.
I haven't seen one case of snobbish bias against Steam workshop, care to show an example?
I've not seen any bias with x4 either. I've seen it with X:R against Nexus though. The only three differences between nexus and the workshop are: the nexus doesn't automatically download updated mods, all workshop mods are packed into *.cat, and if you customize any workshop mods steam will re-download the mod with the games default settings for workshop. Otherwise both are fairly similar, you must have an account to download mods, they both scan the mods to make sure they are safe, and with they have both been hacked before.

edit: For gog users or for mods that only appear on steam workshop, there is this http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Mon, 15. Apr 19, 06:04

To update to Steam Workshop it's jsut a batch file for me. Typically i save it to the same GIT repository along with the mod files, so no, it's not a big hassle at all.

The 'reach' for GOG users is the bigger issue here. This is why i'm a Steam user and not very fond of the 'yet another launcher' Epic now.

It's hard enough to keep my files sync for Nexus, which by the way, was the only way as X4 was released without Steam integration....

Devs, if you read this, X5 should have Steam on release day.

albysmith
x4

Post by albysmith » Thu, 18. Apr 19, 11:15

Our mods will always be on nexus. It is easier to search, has a better comment section, has a better ui overall and doesn't autoupdate. Autoupdate is a bad. It might be okay if it forced some display of patch notes to the user. How many mods are released that need hotfixing in the first few days? Most mods, and most of the ones that didn't hotfix left a bunch of bugs.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 06:40

I stopped buying games from Steam (primarily) a few years ago. Big fan of competition and would love to see more stores and third party modding sites. GoG is a great example of what I want to see. No DRM and no hassles just like many of the older games. Steam workshop is a great service when it works though. I'm totally fine with downloading mods from the forums directly here or from other sites like Nexus. I think a big issue people seem to miss is the community. Instead of the player focusing on the game and the dev site they move to Steam and that ecosystem. It seems to me over the years that extra layer sort of disconnects everyone. Steam is horrible for communication except for friends IMO.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 16:59

Baconnaise wrote:
Fri, 19. Apr 19, 06:40
I stopped buying games from Steam (primarily) a few years ago. Big fan of competition and would love to see more stores and third party modding sites. GoG is a great example of what I want to see. No DRM and no hassles just like many of the older games. Steam workshop is a great service when it works though. I'm totally fine with downloading mods from the forums directly here or from other sites like Nexus. I think a big issue people seem to miss is the community. Instead of the player focusing on the game and the dev site they move to Steam and that ecosystem. It seems to me over the years that extra layer sort of disconnects everyone. Steam is horrible for communication except for friends IMO.
I remember reading a rant along similar lines for another game, the solution was that steam actually do not always restrict the workshop to owners of the game title, in such cases you can use the SteamCMD (it helps if you make a run script to save time) to pull mods by the workshop ID, you only need a steam account for this.

Likewise you can also access a lot of the game tools for most games with an SDK or similar without owning the game first and again likewise for the dedicated server tools. It all comes down to understanding the steamCMD and command-line operations to grab what you need or like.

I can honestly say It probably won't just work in a game not installed by steam you would have to go to the steamdir and workshop content folder for the game in question and copy the content or MKLINK the content to your games dir as required but hey at least it's free if not a tad tedious but once you set up a script the process becomes a simple run and forget process to grab whatever you want for your games.

This could be made easier by Valve obviously if they wanted to open workshop browsing of games you do not own and allow you to sub anyway with a warning that you do not own the game and would need to manually move the mods to your game yourself but they provide a command-line option which is better than locking people out all-together.

In a perfect world you should be able to buy a digital copy of a game and unlock it with any DRM platform that it is available on I do not see why one need purchase a game on multiple things like GOG and STEAM should get a code to unlock for steam if you desire with the GOG and vice versa.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Fri, 10. May 19, 23:47

I came here about to ask the same question. I've been holding off on restarting the game until player shipyards and a good assortment of mods were available on the workshop. Seems like only one of the two is happening. I have an assortment of mods left over from when I last played back in February I think. Years ago I got burned on the nexus mod manager software because it installed adware that I was not happy about. Maybe things have changed these days, but lesson learned afaic so I will not be reinstalling it.

So in order to update my mods from months ago I need to:
* figure out which mods I found on forum threads, find those threads and update
* Search for mods on the nexus and manually update
* Browse through page after page of mods on the nexus scanning for the update tag on mods I can't find/remember the names of

***OR (what I was hoping for)***
Browse the steam workshop, click the subscribe button
Automatically get mod updates without having to do anything
If a mod causes a problem, click the unsub button, mod gets fixed? click the sub button again

Maybe as a modder there are qualms with the workshop I don't know, but as an end user it's not even close in terms of convenience. I'm really surprised the modding community hasn't adopted the workshop more. If you want popularity and lots of downloads, you need to get that sh#t posted on the workshop. Also, Egosoft benefits from more mods on the workshop as a lot of people will see there are almost no mods posted and automatically think "dead game".

Go take a peek at the Rimworld workshop if you want to see a thriving modding community on steam.

taintedxodus
x4

Post by taintedxodus » Sat, 11. May 19, 08:12

you could also look at your download list on nexus and just see whats updated from there.

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Sat, 11. May 19, 13:18

You could have made the best mod in the world
but, if it isn't on steam workshop

It doesn't exist

also
Egosoft have said they will enable the workshop
no date was given though, so it may be after the Split DLC is out

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Sat, 11. May 19, 14:38

RodentofDoom wrote:
Sat, 11. May 19, 13:18
also
Egosoft have said they will enable the workshop
no date was given though, so it may be after the Split DLC is out
It's there now.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”