Are we going to see more x4 mods on steam workshop?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

nickolaiproblem
x4

Are we going to see more x4 mods on steam workshop?

Post by nickolaiproblem » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 00:21

Just a question for the modders are we going to see more of your mods on workshop. Because I think it would be great way to expose x4 pretty dedicated modding base. Steam workshop uploads could also expose wider steam community to vast number of mods that x4 currently has.

idofwsl
x4

Re: Are we going to see more x4 mods on steam workshop?

Post by idofwsl » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 05:22

I think Nexus can do better :P

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 12:14

idofwsl wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 05:22
I think Nexus can do better :P
not really I mean I like nexus don't get me wrong but it does have the reach that workshop does.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:03

Here is my opinion of steam workshop as a modder:

It requires me to do a few extra steps that aren't difficult, but would be annoying to do every single update.
I have to check an additional location for feedback, questions, or requests for help. (This is my main annoyance)
It only serves the people who got the game on steam.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 00:36

DeadAirRT wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:03
Isn't that the vast majority, though?

GoG is something most people ignore and the Epic Store was pretty much nonexistant when this game launched.

Plus there is the "ease of use" for people who want to use mods via Steam Workshop. Nexus always means third party and third party always means that not everyone will like that, either.

Not saying steam is perfect (buncha greedy fellas) but eeeeeh...the functionality is solid for the USERS.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:07

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 00:36
DeadAirRT wrote:
Isn't that the vast majority, though?

GoG is something most people ignore and the Epic Store was pretty much nonexistant when this game launched.

Plus there is the "ease of use" for people who want to use mods via Steam Workshop. Nexus always means third party and third party always means that not everyone will like that, either.

Not saying steam is perfect (buncha greedy fellas) but eeeeeh...the functionality is solid for the USERS.
Thats why I am for more steam workshop integration.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:08

DeadAirRT wrote:

It requires me to do a few extra steps that aren't difficult, but would be annoying to do every single update.
I have to check an additional location for feedback, questions, or requests for help. (This is my main annoyance)
I'm not saying you have to update every single mod all the time maybe instead you just update steam when its a major overhaul. You can still put it here first though. But I can totally understand why you might not.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:31

1. Not everyone buys on steam. Having mods uploaded to multiple platforms is a cancerous hassle.
2. Mods on steam have to be packed and won't allow easy accessable config files users can adjust (main issue for me)

That's why my X mods won't be available on the steam workshop.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 03:04

nickolaiproblem wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:08
I'm not saying you have to update every single mod all the time maybe instead you just update steam when its a major overhaul. You can still put it here first though. But I can totally understand why you might not.
It's actually the major updates that would cause more issues. Some changes are not save game compatible. As much as i love auto update, it would break someone's save game and cause more headaches.

The good news is that if someone wants more mods on steam, a lot of mods give permission to upload to different sites as long as author is credited. I know i freely give out my code for anyone to use. Some people forget that most modders are doing all this work for nothing in return so if they get a little lazy, give them a break.

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 09:45

DeadAirRT wrote:

Alot of people will never make an account on Nexusmods. I don't trust the side so i will never do it. And i can't download the mods without an account.

If new players will buy the game. They are probably new to X4 and mods aswell. They are probably younger and have no idea how to install a mod.

People have to take a high effort to keep the mods updated. Go to the site, check all mods for updates. Install them manually.

This kinda sucks. And i think i can say most people prefer the Workshop.

And yes i installed mods for X2/3 aswell 15years ago....now 15 years later im simply out of that stuff. Workshop? Yes i will give it a try. Nexusmods? Nope not anymore.

Don't forget u are 1 person creating the mod. And u have to do a few more steps to get it into the workshop.

But! All the players are using it have to more steps to keep it updated if u are using nexusmods.
Updating 10mods with each major patch costs some non geek users hours of work.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:10

DeadAirRT wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 03:04
nickolaiproblem wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:08
It's actually the major updates that would cause more issues. Some changes are not save game compatible. As much as i love auto update, it would break someone's save game and cause more headaches.

The good news is that if someone wants more mods on steam, a lot of mods give permission to upload to different sites as long as author is credited. I know i freely give out my code for anyone to use. Some people forget that most modders are doing all this work for nothing in return so if they get a little lazy, give them a break.
Alright Cool I was thinking straight up porting some mods I'll ask some author and credit them of course.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:12

iforgotmysocks wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:31
1. Not everyone buys on steam. Having mods uploaded to multiple platforms is a cancerous hassle.
2. Mods on steam have to be packed and won't allow easy accessable config files users can adjust (main issue for me)

That's why my X mods won't be available on the steam workshop.
The majority of people who bought this game use steam though.
But mod packing seems to be the main issue for modders.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:14

Olfrygt wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 09:45
DeadAirRT wrote:

Alot of people will never make an account on Nexusmods. I don't trust the side so i will never do it. And i can't download the mods without an account.

If new players will buy the game. They are probably new to X4 and mods aswell. They are probably younger and have no idea how to install a mod.

People have to take a high effort to keep the mods updated. Go to the site, check all mods for updates. Install them manually.

This kinda sucks. And i think i can say most people prefer the Workshop.

And yes i installed mods for X2/3 aswell 15years ago....now 15 years later im simply out of that stuff. Workshop? Yes i will give it a try. Nexusmods? Nope not anymore.

Don't forget u are 1 person creating the mod. And u have to do a few more steps to get it into the workshop.

But! All the players are using it have to more steps to keep it updated if u are using nexusmods.
Updating 10mods with each major patch costs some non geek users hours of work.
What do you mean you don't trust them? With what? And why do you trust steam?

Especially the younger ones can be bothered with learning a bit about the stuff they use. I get that a 60 y/o farmer just wants to drive around his space ship in peace and can't be bothered with more.

And what actually really pisses me off is that you are talking about effort. We present stuff for free and basically ask for nothing in return and you still sound like you are complaining. Hours of work for all the players? We sink in hundreds of them to create mods and still you ask us, in a manner that sounds like your or all the players time is more precious than ours, to sink in some more to provide another way while it's indeed mostly only one person with very limited time creating that mod. Not easier, not better. Not even more convenient. Also registering to nexus, downloading their manager and then hit the "install with manager" button hardly counts as hours. Also their manager offers a easy way to update the mod. It notifys you and offers an update button.

I think a modders does not ask for too much if he asks you put in an hour or two to learn how things work.

If that's to bothersome for some people, fck them.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 19:47

My english is not good enough to write long sentences. I can only read it very well. That's why my posts look so unfriendly.

And what i mean with younger ones. Its not that they can't learn it. But games are getting faster and easier from year to year.
And new players are probably less interested in learning "how to modify a game" or even "look on various sites to get that mods".

They are buying games on steam, cause steam is big and every1 heard of it. Friends are using it and so on....

I bought X3 on GoG (was cheaoer then steam) heard of it from a friend but hes the only one of all my friends who have heard of it. But all know steam. Just as one single example.

Sgt Hawker
x4

Post by Sgt Hawker » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 04:10

Olfrygt wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 19:47
My english is not good enough to write long sentences. I can only read it very well. That's why my posts look so unfriendly.

And what i mean with younger ones. Its not that they can't learn it. But games are getting faster and easier from year to year.
And new players are probably less interested in learning "how to modify a game" or even "look on various sites to get that mods".

They are buying games on steam, cause steam is big and every1 heard of it. Friends are using it and so on....

I bought X3 on GoG (was cheaoer then steam) heard of it from a friend but hes the only one of all my friends who have heard of it. But all know steam. Just as one single example.
Using your own statement. Modders and those who use Mods know about Nexus. Nexus has been around for a long time. I remember when Nexus had less than 10 games on it. I bought my Premium Acct. then and have been pleased by the service and the professionalism of Nexus. I have not had any problems with them or even their own Mod management system, unlike a few other Mod sites I won't mention.

Getting Mods to work from Nexus does not require you to use their software, along with they do not hide any unwanted code onto Mods downloaded from their site. There is a thread in this forum on how to download from Nexus and place it into your game.

Oh and I may not be 60 but I am getting close to 50 and I wish every game was mod-able.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 04:24

About nexus i dunno if many of you know but it was hacked awhile ago as i used "https://haveibeenpwned.com/" website where you use ur email and see which sites have had data breaches and nexus was one of em. So i personally wouldnt ever use em again.

If i ever do get around to mods for x4 i think i would prefer steam workshop, its easy for users, better security than nexus at least.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 08:52

Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 19, 04:24
About nexus i dunno if many of you know but it was hacked awhile ago as i used "https://haveibeenpwned.com/" website where you use ur email and see which sites have had data breaches and nexus was one of em. So i personally wouldnt ever use em again.

If i ever do get around to mods for x4 i think i would prefer steam workshop, its easy for users, better security than nexus at least.
When was that exactly and how long did u have ur account there? The only nexusmods incident i know about happend around 2015 and the database dumb that was published dated back to 2013 and only contained ids, usernames, e-mail addresses, and hashes. So in order for ppl to actually access these accounts they'd have to bruteforce every single hash which can take a pretty long time just for one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/12675

They've been pretty open about the entire process and worked consistently to keep the site secure.

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 22:20

Sure modders know about nexusmods. But i guess a lot of players especially younger ones don't know that site. :gruebel:

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 09:06

If someone is interested in modding they usually know nexus. They have about 17 million useraccounts. Concidering that alot of players don't play games that are modable, and some just want to play their game and move on to the next, that's a pretty large number.

And with all the mod showcases on youtube linking to nexus or just friends telling them it's rather the "younger ones" that find out about nexus rather quickly.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 14:31

There seems to be some sort of snobbish bias against Steam workshop, in favor of nexus. Personally, I think those who have good mods and have the opportunity to post them on Steam workshop but are not doing so are doing both themselves and the wider X community a disservice.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”