[MOD][Game Start] Aspiring Freelancer

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

[MOD][Game Start] Aspiring Freelancer

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 16:28

During the third war, you honed your skills as a pilot. You took up freelance jobs to pass the time, with the help of a boron slave you have procured a mysterious station in Argon Prime. Your time is now, what will you do next?

General Info
  • You start in Argon Prime
  • PHQ is Operational and ready for research to commence & moved to Argon Prime.
  • No Research or Modifications are available you will have to research them from the PHQ
  • You begin with no knowledge of other races except for Xenon and Argon, use the ships short range scanner on the races stations to unlock information about the faction.
  • All Faction Reputation is Neutral. 'with exception of Pirate faction as this rep does not change dynamically without a mod, and yes I mean zero-d they all don't know you nor know each other yet.'
Player Resources
  • Start with 4x Argon Transport Ships and your Heavy Argon Fighter. 
  • Most Argon Construction Blueprints are acquired for station building with a few ships to boot.
  • 5 Million starting credits & 5 Adv Sats
Based on @deadairrt's DeadAir Gate WW Start
Showcase Images
Show
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie on Sat, 27. Apr 19, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

DeadAirRT
x4

Re: [MOD][Game Start] Aspiring Freelancer

Post by DeadAirRT » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 16:17

Glad to see you diving into the xml. Congrats on the release and if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 16:46

DeadAirRT wrote:
Sat, 20. Apr 19, 16:17
Glad to see you diving into the xml. Congrats on the release and if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.
Cheers man, will do.
Some of it does not look too complicated but I get lost when it comes to jobs and tasks haha due to the structure of XML and how everything has to be encapsulated whereas other languages a lot of things are written in functions and then you just call function and do stuff does not matter what script they are in for some languages just need to make sure the file is loaded so it can read from it.

XML seems to define most things internally in each script rather a couple of scripts with functions and code blocks to call the function and that is where I end up getting lost, as I am expecting a function to be called and then some code tacked onto the function or the outcome changed but this seems to use diff replacers, but the game starts did not look too complex my next move in this would have to be changing sectors you start in and the PHQ location along with setting up modded wares into the ships.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Sgt Hawker
x4

Post by Sgt Hawker » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 03:48

going to give your mod a shot tonight. Will let you know what I think. Maybe changed, added, removed, bugs etc...

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 05:09

Well, I have a couple of things I am aware of atm.
It became apparent that unknown races do not become known races simply by discovering their existence.
Maybe Egosoft bug I am not sure but I do not know why the code allows one to make a faction unknown and still display that faction when there is no game mechanic I know about and or known by a user who pointed it out to make them a known faction. So I need to adjust that and make a tiny script if needed to make them known for users who are currently playing this start.

I still have not had it running long enough to see if wars happen or what goes on, when all the races are neutral to each other except the Ka,hak and Xenon.

Dynamically changing rep between factions for some reason is not in X4 only player actions change player rep but I have no idea if NPC rep will modify itself.
If not I will have to update this so that a few factions dislike each other same as DeadArt did but with a different set of factions not liking each other.
That or I won't be lazy and go take a look at the old X3 script which made dynamic rep and sees if I can somehow code a successor for X4.

Either way, this should have been in the engine from day 1 but none the less are oversights I was simply not expecting to be an issue.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 13:27

I downloaded your mod and started a new game with 2.50 B2. Can't right click and dock (did build a dock) on PHQ or associated build storage. Not sure if that's an issue with your mod or the beta.. Just sharing FYI.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 13:40

Endeavour79 wrote:
Thu, 25. Apr 19, 13:27
I downloaded your mod and started a new game with 2.50 B2. Can't right click and dock (did build a dock) on PHQ or associated build storage. Not sure if that's an issue with your mod or the beta.. Just sharing FYI.
Will test it, probably BETA but cannot be sure as I never really played with PHQ in my games but I will give it a go tonight.
The code came from a working PHQ setup so no reason to think it is not working in this start, things to think about are that the BETA has/ already did change how PHQ functions for docking as they had plans in the notes to modify the PHQ interactions which likely means the code for PHQ being usable has changed.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 13:49

Thanks, just to clarify the issue.. I am trying to select playership on map owned ship list and then order to dock (or anything) by right clicking on PHQ on map or list. Doesn't work, doesn't open the right click menu. Works for other NPC stations.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 13:55

Endeavour79 wrote:
Thu, 25. Apr 19, 13:49
Thanks, just to clarify the issue.. I am trying to select playership on map owned ship list and then order to dock (or anything) by right clicking on PHQ on map or list. Doesn't work, doesn't open the right click menu. Works for other NPC stations.
To further clarify -
You did edit the PHQ right?
Regardless of Beta or Stable build of game you need to open the PHQ in the plot menu and build a docking module like you do with any other player station.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 22:44

Yes, I built a dock module. Somehow PHQ didn't become available for right click order menu.

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Sat, 27. Apr 19, 05:07

Update: I tracked the issue down. The root cause is incompatibility of G_Work_Around mod with 2.50 B2/3. This blocks the PHQ responding to right mouse clicks.

taintedxodus
x4

Post by taintedxodus » Sat, 27. Apr 19, 05:13

Figures, G-work_around needs to be updated to work.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sat, 27. Apr 19, 21:33

Updated v1.3
Re-worked the faction information provided at game start and provided a method to scan stations with the short range scanner to reveal hidden faction information.
this works with existing saves and also provides a method to reveal unknown factions which was a bug from an earlier version.

Please be advised going forward this mod contains an extra script called "discover.factions" which checks what the short range scanner is targeting and reveal unknown faction information, modders may remove this manually if unwanted as it is not coded directly into the game start script.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”