[MOD][WIP] XPANed Ships: A Rebirth

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Aranov
x4

[MOD][WIP] XPANed Ships: A Rebirth

Post by Aranov » Wed, 31. Jul 19, 03:44

Bringing sexy back!

Hello everyone, welcome to this humble thread.

Not too good with words, so straight to the point.
Inspired by sco1981's conversions from X:Rebirth, and disappointed with the vanilla ships, I set out to bring some of my favorites over from X:R.

Was stop and go at first, but every day or so I made a breakthrough somewhere, and this past weekend I figured out how to finally bring over multi-part ships.

At this point, after bringing over just about everything L size and bigger that hasn't already been converted, I figured I'd release atleast a Beta version.
About a day or two away from that, just have to align hardpoints on the last few ships, mainly the countermeasure hardpoints.

Beta is looking to include:
Spoiler
Show
Titurel
Scaldis
Fulmekron
Lyramekron
Lyranea
Olmekron
Balor
Boann
Fedhelm
Heavy Sul
Hermod
Light Sul
Lepton
Midir
Onil Gas
Onil Mineral
Rahanas
Sanahar
Sequana
Stromvok
Styrvok
The new (old) ships lack the ship skinning system of the modern ships, but they're pretty enough to not need it imo.
So no logos (May add later), Dynamic hull ID numbers, or paint mods.

For the incoming beta release, it will be available on Nexus. No Steam Workshop support planned, due to updates to the mod potentially breaking the added ships.
Wanted to announce and share.
Few images:

Fulmekron
Lyranea
Styrvok

BrummBear02
x3ap

Re: [MOD][WIP] XPANed Ships: A Rebirth

Post by BrummBear02 » Wed, 31. Jul 19, 05:26

as far as i know egosoft has a problem with people porting all the ships. thats why we stayed away from most of them. but well, good luck mate.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Wed, 31. Jul 19, 13:36

BrummBear02 wrote:
Wed, 31. Jul 19, 05:26
as far as i know egosoft has a problem with people porting all the ships. thats why we stayed away from most of them. but well, good luck mate.
Well first I have to say, love your ship mods.

Do you have a source on that? Or know a way to get a statement?
Cause I fail to see the issue.

Not to be an ass, but only reasons I see would be the LAUGHABLE assumption the X:R is worth playing, or even paying for at this point as anything other then modding fodder for X4.
Or EGO (Starting to understand why they choose that name) plans to port them themselves.
Which I'd been fine with, before I found out how easy it is. I'd be done were it not the volume of ships.

X4 is the better game in almost every way, EXCEPT in art direction and to a lesser degree balance.
The ships are either mostly uninspired (Argon), discount X3 knockoffs (Paranid), or an outright X3 copy (Kha'ak and Xenon fighters, did you forget about them? I know EGO seems to have.)
Only ships to have actual effort in their design are Teladi and the (2!) Xenon Caps, both shipsets from X:R. I will say stations are magnificent this time around. Both in art and game design.

And then balance, The ships in X:R felt like capital ships. I don't see why being able to fly caps means they only have a dozen turrets and crappy hull and cargo values now.
Getting hand cramps from microing my freighters, who barely put a dent in my stations building and trade demands, was another part of the inspiration to bring over the Titurel and Scaldis at first.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game for what it is, love the X series, wouldn't have spent time learning to port ships otherwise, but I feel like EGO is starting to develop a habit of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Mini rant there, little frustrated with EGO.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Thu, 1. Aug 19, 00:21

Aranov wrote:
Wed, 31. Jul 19, 13:36
BrummBear02 wrote:
Wed, 31. Jul 19, 05:26
Well first I have to say, love your ship mods.

Not to be an ass, but only reasons I see would be the LAUGHABLE assumption the X:R is worth playing, or even paying for at this point as anything other then modding fodder for X4.
Or EGO (Starting to understand why they choose that name) plans to port them themselves.
Which I'd been fine with, before I found out how easy it is. I'd be done were it not the volume of ships.

X4 is the better game in almost every way, EXCEPT in art direction and to a lesser degree balance.
The ships are either mostly uninspired (Argon), discount X3 knockoffs (Paranid), or an outright X3 copy (Kha'ak and Xenon fighters, did you forget about them? I know EGO seems to have.)
Only ships to have actual effort in their design are Teladi and the (2!) Xenon Caps, both shipsets from X:R. I will say stations are magnificent this time around. Both in art and game design.

And then balance, The ships in X:R felt like capital ships. I don't see why being able to fly caps means they only have a dozen turrets and crappy hull and cargo values now.
Getting hand cramps from microing my freighters, who barely put a dent in my stations building and trade demands, was another part of the inspiration to bring over the Titurel and Scaldis at first.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game for what it is, love the X series, wouldn't have spent time learning to port ships otherwise, but I feel like EGO is starting to develop a habit of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Mini rant there, little frustrated with EGO.
There cool with adding ships it just can't be entirety x rebirth ships or something like that. But if you run into trouble you will know because their good about telling you for the most part. viewtopic.php?f=181&t=414274 Here link that might help you also https://discord.gg/2zsWzKQ

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Thu, 1. Aug 19, 04:48

thanks for the love ;) the last two months were pretty busy and i barely managed to work on my mods sadly. not a single ship is completely finished :D the paint mod support for example only wprks for the joy. kind of.
also i have to finish the tutorial the dude before me mentioned and i have to help that guy at the end of the tutorial. i really hope i have time for all that soon :D

there is a twitter screenshot ghosting around here somewhere. sadly i cant find it again :( it states that they dont want us to port all the ships but a few ships ported is fine.
which is, honestly, kinda... not finished thinking. idk how to phrase that in english. basically it means if you port the ships split into several mods you should be fine. or if 4 of us port 1/4th of the ships so the porter is not a single person.
hell knows what they were thinking when making that statement.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

h2odragon3
x4

Post by h2odragon3 » Thu, 1. Aug 19, 06:57

From the discord, dec 7th 2018

https://imgur.com/tTmFK98

I read it as "if you own XR you can resue those assets in X4" I think if they decide to take offense at XR ship mods, having them split up won't matter, they just add a few lines to the letter the lawyers send out.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Fri, 2. Aug 19, 07:19

Aranov wrote:
Technically it would be IP infringement. The fact that EGOSOFT (or any developer) permits *some* things to be ported doesn't open the floodgates to *everything.* They can choose to allow or disallow at their own discretion, for any reason or no reason at all.
Aranov wrote:
Whether or not the game is worth playing or EGOSOFT intends to do its own porting is irrelevant to the issue.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Sat, 3. Aug 19, 19:58

Well, things are Beta ready, Just not wanting to release with things up in the air.

And I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of how IP law works. Like, you need to draw a line, clearly, on what's okay and what isn't otherwise it's kind of a trap.
SOME X:R ships have been ported. That's ok? Then where is the line? How are we supposed to know what's allowed and what isn't?

In other news, this burst of converting has reignited my love of X, and boasted my confidence, so I'll be releasing the much less controversial sector mod I made. Just need some good screenshots and It'll be up.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 3. Aug 19, 20:41

Aranov wrote:
Sat, 3. Aug 19, 19:58
And I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of how IP law works. Like, you need to draw a line, clearly, on what's okay and what isn't otherwise it's kind of a trap.
SOME X:R ships have been ported. That's ok? Then where is the line? How are we supposed to know what's allowed and what isn't?
Write an email to egosoft, either info (at) egosoft.com or bernd (at) egosoft.com (without the spaces and the (at) is @), and ask whether they are okay with you releasing your mod with the mentioned ship models from X Rebirth.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 14:07

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 3. Aug 19, 20:41
Write an email to egosoft, either info (at) egosoft.com or bernd (at) egosoft.com (without the spaces and the (at) is @), and ask whether they are okay with you releasing your mod with the mentioned ship models from X Rebirth.
Thank you, I intend to, however the nature of rights may have worked out for the best. Tried adding Jobs for the ships, everything looked correct, but the ships are showing up....without crew.
That is to say, no captains. So they don't move, and are just sitting there. Including the ones built at shipyards.
Which is causing a trickle down effect where the economy is jamming up, as no new ships can be built while the bugged ships sit there.

And I unfortunately don't have time to debug the mod, as my free time is getting spent getting a setting setup for a tabletop rpg, by Friday.
So as I said, this maybe for the best.

sco1981
x4

Post by sco1981 » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 10:39

Aranov wrote:
Wed, 7. Aug 19, 14:07
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Thank you, I intend to, however the nature of rights may have worked out for the best. Tried adding Jobs for the ships, everything looked correct, but the ships are showing up....without crew.
That is to say, no captains. So they don't move, and are just sitting there. Including the ones built at shipyards.
Which is causing a trickle down effect where the economy is jamming up, as no new ships can be built while the bugged ships sit there.

And I unfortunately don't have time to debug the mod, as my free time is getting spent getting a setting setup for a tabletop rpg, by Friday.
Looking forward to the ships. I hope you keep up the good work. :thumb_up:

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Fri, 23. Aug 19, 08:49

Aranov wrote:
Wed, 7. Aug 19, 14:07
X2-Illuminatus wrote:

characters.xml and charactergroups.xml are needed just like shipgroups.xml and ships.xml

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 23. Aug 19, 10:13

Looks great!
New (good looking) ships are my main issue with X4 (followed by too few weapons).
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Fri, 23. Aug 19, 11:49

Hey I have an idea. How about ya know, Egosoft adding the XR ships that they have allready made and putting them in X4? Simple right?

@Linolafet Your one of the ship artists right. Could you help explain this?
Just... another... bug.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”