[Resolved][MOD] Project X4 (need some help)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ThatTennoDan
x4

[Resolved][MOD] Project X4 (need some help)

Post by ThatTennoDan » Sat, 23. Nov 19, 05:36

Okay, so first thing, this mod is my first one and I am still learning.
I followed some of the guides here and was able to come up with a basic idea of what I want to do, and believe I have even located the files needed to make it happen too.
Problem is I am not that good with XML. I did the best I can but so far I know I must be simply typing some command wrong or something dumb like that. I am bad with "add" and adding stuff to the XML files.
I did some "experimental" things along the way to add my own name/s and description/s. Might be what I screwed up. IDK really.
But, that is why I am here hoping Egosoft or the community here can give me some answers or something lol.

The goal is to simply make a "new" engine I can buy/install to any s-ship at an Argon Wharf or Equipment Dock.
It is based off of the engine_arg_s_travel_01_mk3. Most files were simply renamed to match the new engines name engine_arg_s_prototype_01_mk1. XML files were (poorly) edited to try to make it all work ie: changing "engine_arg_s_travel_01_mk3" to "engine_arg_s_prototype_01_mk1" wherever I found it. I know I did something wrong, I know it's something stupidly simple too lol.
Once this is functional, I hope it to be a template mod that I and hopefully others here will be able to use to easily add new ship equipment as painlessly as possible.

Huge thank you in advance for any and all help I can get with this little side project. I feel there needs to be something like this available for newcomers and rookies to modding alike.

Current version of the mod is posted on GitHub here (and open to public commits cause I am hopeful somebody knows what to do to fix this up properly): https://github.com/LiquidSmokeX64/ProjectX4
Last edited by ThatTennoDan on Sat, 23. Nov 19, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.

teleportationwars

Re: [MOD] Project X4 (need some help)

Post by teleportationwars » Sat, 23. Nov 19, 08:13

This would have been much easier to do if you had a github repository for it.

Too lazy to try to figure out if you are trying to add custom art or just reference vanilla so ill just explain how it works:

You have bundled the data folder, .ani and component xml. none of those are needed to merely copy an existing engine. You would only need to provide new component xml if you changed the tags or art.

The tags I am referring to:

Code: Select all

<connection name="EngineConnection01" tags="engine small component">
	<offset/>
</connection>

<source geometry="assets\props\Engines\engine_arg_s_prototype_01_mk1_data"/>
that line is actually pointing to the vanilla art and so ignores your folder

It should be extensions\modname\whatever your folder structure is

USE AN EDITOR THAT VALIDATES XML
line 5 of wares.xml is a closing tag with no opening tag.
line 9/10 of 0001-l044.xml you are missing a closing </page>

ThatTennoDan
x4

Post by ThatTennoDan » Sat, 23. Nov 19, 08:55

teleportationwars wrote:
Sat, 23. Nov 19, 08:13

Too lazy to try to figure out if you are trying to add custom art or just reference vanilla so ill just explain how it works:

You have bundled the data folder, .ani and component xml. none of those are needed to merely copy an existing engine. You would only need to provide new component xml if you changed the tags or art.

The tags I am referring to:

<connection name="EngineConnection01" tags="engine small component">
	<offset/>
</connection>

<source geometry="assets\props\Engines\engine_arg_s_prototype_01_mk1_data"/>
that line is actually pointing to the vanilla art and so ignores your folder

It should be extensions\modname\whatever your folder structure is

USE AN EDITOR THAT VALIDATES XML
line 5 of wares.xml is a closing tag with no opening tag.
line 9/10 of 0001-l044.xml you are missing a closing </page>
Well like I said I am still literally Day 1 of trying to mod X4. I'm bound to make mistakes at first. That's any new task.
I use Notepad++ which I know works fine for XML, I'm just not too familiar with it yet. Determined to learn though.
The idea is to basically copy an existing engine, replace names and stuff, change the stats a bit and give it all the needed details to be bought for a ship or blueprint from ARG. Effectively adding in a new engine, but still uses all default art and sounds of the original copied engine. Just what changes is the small stuff, internal stats and such. This way it'll be open to making mk4 travel engines etc without actually affecting the base game at all. It'll be independent as possible, to be a modular vanilla addon.
I will try your suggestions, and repost with 0.0.1 to show changes and detail anything new of course.

Again I really appreciate the assist. I know I'm really close to getting this right, just my lack of XML experience is showing lol.

ThatTennoDan
x4

Post by ThatTennoDan » Sat, 23. Nov 19, 09:40

teleportationwars wrote:
Sat, 23. Nov 19, 08:13
Now there is. Link here: https://github.com/LiquidSmokeX64/ProjectX4
Feel free to make whatever changes needed to make it actually work. I set the repo to allow public commits.
All that really matters is that it works in the end. It should be easy for someone that actually knows what they are doing better than I.

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Sat, 23. Nov 19, 13:08

https://github.com/mewosmith/example_engines

That should work. I didnt see how to do the icon though.

ThatTennoDan
x4

Post by ThatTennoDan » Sat, 23. Nov 19, 20:07

teleportationwars wrote:
Sat, 23. Nov 19, 13:08
https://github.com/mewosmith/example_engines

That should work. I didnt see how to do the icon though.
It does. Thank you so much for helping me get this project off the ground.
Feel free to look and fork if ever needed. I imagine this is only the beginning of a whole new lineup of equipment.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”