[DISCONTINUED] X4 Sound Overhaul v1.47

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

EsoKerman

Re: [MOD] X4 Sound Overhaul v1.00

Post by EsoKerman » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 10:11

Neloth23 wrote:
Fri, 14. Feb 20, 21:56
I'll start working on the mono version this weekend. I'll try to publish it ASAP.
I've successfully upload. I've sent you the mono sounds privately, so it'll be faster for you.

As i mutate the UI sounds in game, they're the only ones i left in stereo.

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 17:34

EsoKerman wrote:
Sat, 15. Feb 20, 10:11
I've successfully upload. I've sent you the mono sounds privately, so it'll be faster for you.

As i mutate the UI sounds in game, they're the only ones i left in stereo.
Thanks a lot! I had started the conversion, but this will be a huge time saver.

I'll edit the UI sounds today and post a 100% mono beta version on this forum. It will just be a conversion of the sounds, without any additional treatment (EQ's, compressors, etc) for now.

It would be great if I could have some feedback on whether the mono version improves the handling of the sounds for you guys.

I'd also like to know what you all think of the quality of the sounds in mono and if it is good enough for you as it is or if you want me to try and remix them. I'll be honest, considering the time I spent putting together this mod and especially mixing the sounds, redoing this process for a version that will sound worse no matter what is not very appealing to me. But, if you want me to try, I'll give it a shot to give you the best version I can do. So don't hesitate to share your opinion on this topic!

I'd also like to apologise for the issues the stereo sounds caused. I was aiming to deliver the best sound quality I could do, and after testing the mod for a while and finding no cracks, pops, etc. on my end, I naïvely thought it would offer a smooth experience to everyone else. I wouldn't have released this mod in this state otherwise.

Thanks for your patience!

Neloth23
x4

Re: [MOD] X4 Sound Overhaul v1.10

Post by Neloth23 » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 17:39

ledhead900 wrote:
Sat, 15. Feb 20, 02:40
What you could do is introduce extra length to the sound but not add any sound it would just be extra time to the end of the sound file.
I'm afraid it wouldn't solve the issue as the first sound would still be too long. I will probably change the "travel mode on" sounds to something shorter. I have an idea, but i'll have to test it later. For now I'll try to get the mono beta available as soon as possible.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 18:04

You certainly have a great attitude and care about your users! Great to see.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

EsoKerman

Post by EsoKerman » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 18:12

Neloth23 wrote:
Sat, 15. Feb 20, 17:34

I'll edit the UI sounds today and post a 100% mono beta version on this forum. It will just be a conversion of the sounds, without any additional treatment (EQ's, compressors, etc) for now.

It would be great if I could have some feedback on whether the mono version improves the handling of the sounds for you guys.
I think it's normal that the first launch of a mod has problems, you don't need to apologize.

I've already processed a few tracks where the conversion to mono has caused saturation. I think that's okay. We just need to lower the volume of the L engines.

Mono and stereo both have their advantages. Mono has better spatialization and the game handles it better. The landing sound for example is less aggressive with that. The explosions also have a better rendering. The better stereo quality is good for weapons.

So it's a good idea to offer both.

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 19:00

tomchk wrote:
Sat, 15. Feb 20, 18:04
You certainly have a great attitude and care about your users! Great to see.
Thank you! It means a lot!

I have to care, otherwise people will start asking me for refunds and I'll be in trouble! :mrgreen:

EsoKerman wrote:
Sat, 15. Feb 20, 18:12
I've already processed a few tracks where the conversion to mono has caused saturation. I think that's okay. We just need to lower the volume of the L engines.

Mono and stereo both have their advantages. Mono has better spatialization and the game handles it better. The landing sound for example is less aggressive with that. The explosions also have a better rendering. The better stereo quality is good for weapons.

So it's a good idea to offer both.
I'm currently uploading the mono version.

I tested it briefly, and yes spatialization works a lot better. The loss in sound quality wasn't as bad as I thought, which is a big relief to me.

For the L engines, I already lowered their volume in 1.10 (stereo and mono). It sounds about right to my ears, but let me know if it is still too much, I can still tone it down some more.

Thanks again for your help!

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 19:25

The mono version is now available on Nexus!

Please, let me know what you think of it!

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sun, 16. Feb 20, 03:23

Will do, have not noticed many issues with the old version yet tho, I cannot tell what some of the new sounds is UI wise. I use VRO 2.0 anyway so wep sounds don't really phase me I wanted the engine sounds and ambience stuff.

Speaking of the engine travel is a bit quick for L class ships that spool up for a bit might need go with a unique sound for each class of ship its work but it can be done to patch the macro to use a different sound than the same 1 via a diff patch.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Sun, 16. Feb 20, 18:05

ledhead900 wrote:
Sun, 16. Feb 20, 03:23
Will do, have not noticed many issues with the old version yet tho, I cannot tell what some of the new sounds is UI wise. I use VRO 2.0 anyway so wep sounds don't really phase me I wanted the engine sounds and ambience stuff.

Speaking of the engine travel is a bit quick for L class ships that spool up for a bit might need go with a unique sound for each class of ship its work but it can be done to patch the macro to use a different sound than the same 1 via a diff patch.
Don't worry you've no obligation to test the mono version! :) If the stereo is fine for you, that's great news for me!

About the L travel charging sound, I think I can try to extend it a bit in order for it to connect with the "bang" that comes next. It will be a trial and error process, but I think it may be feasible.

[Warning! incoming technical disclaimer!]

Bear in mind though, that it will probably not work 100% of the time. For example, I noticed that if you save your game while a ship is charging its travel drive, the charging sound will keep playing while the game universe "freezes" temporarily for the save. When the game resumes, the ship is still charging its travel drive, but the charging sound has finished playing, so there is now a blank before the "bang". This is linked to how the game engine works and I can't do anything about it.

And that's assuming your computer doesn't lag, otherwise it can mess up the sounds even more. So to sum it up, I will try my best, but I can't guarantee surgical precision for 100% of the users. There are too many variables out of my control for that.

[End of technical disclaimer]

As for making a sound for each class of ship, unfortunately the issue I have is that I don't have enough material for that. Finding the 3 sounds I currently use for the travel charging was already difficult (as they have to possess a certain duration, sound quality, consistency, not too much baked-in reverb, etc.) and I didn't find any more than those I use. I will look again in case I missed some, but I prefer not to promise you something I'm not sure to deliver. I'll let you know how it goes either way.

Apologies for the long post, but I thought it would be interesting to adress those limitations.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sun, 16. Feb 20, 23:12

Interesting.
I did notice the travel drive would keep working because the cockpit mode was lit up. It works fine for small shops the issue rises when you have an extended charge up time the sound stops before the engine is fully spooled up note I wasn't saving I was flying the ship and the and watching the speed and notification say it was charging then when it's done as you said I got the boom but charge up had stoped s few seconds before that. Hence my theory was to use an extended version with patched diff for ship class this allows you to define the sound per class or ship which need jt.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Sun, 16. Feb 20, 23:32

ledhead900 wrote:
Sun, 16. Feb 20, 23:12
Interesting.
I did notice the travel drive would keep working because the cockpit mode was lit up. It works fine for small shops the issue rises when you have an extended charge up time the sound stops before the engine is fully spooled up note I wasn't saving I was flying the ship and the and watching the speed and notification say it was charging then when it's done as you said I got the boom but charge up had stoped s few seconds before that. Hence my theory was to use an extended version with patched diff for ship class this allows you to define the sound per class or ship which need jt.
Ok, I see what you mean. I think I just managed to correct this without the need to make a sound per ship.

The travel drive charging sound for big ships was a bit too long. I cut it a bit and it seems to have solved the problem.

For NPC ships, the "bang" sound also had a little charge included that I had kept. It sounded nice when you listened to the sound alone, but in the context of the game you can't really hear it and it sounds like there's a blank. I removed that and it seems that the charging sound and the "bang" connect properly now.

I still want to test this a bit more, especially on different models of ships and different circumstances, but this issue should be resolved for the next version.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 02:21

Nice, It is kinda a pain to get spatial sounds in this game tbh, best you may be able to do with the BANG aspect is get a little fancy with code ;)
What you could likely do if worth the time is completely cut the BANG from the Charge Sound then you would make some tiny ADD references to the Travel Engine Code directly
in XML form to add the BANG sound at the same time it pushes the notification that the engine is charged.

What this would do in theory is in the notifications when it tells you that the engine is ready (as this is when the ship begins to pick up speed) it would also play the BANG sound at that EXACT moment as you added a whole new sound inside the DO IF statement inside the same block that the XML file tells pushes the message to the screen ;)

This way you can fine-tune how they sound individually and you will still get the nice POP noise as the ships boost off into the distance. I might have a look at this for you myself as it interests me to do so. Keep in mind you will have to create the ADD block in the diff patch and not use replace as you would be adding a whole new sound file.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 04:55

ledhead900 wrote:
Mon, 17. Feb 20, 02:21

What you could likely do if worth the time is completely cut the BANG from the Charge Sound then you would make some tiny ADD references to the Travel Engine Code directly
in XML form to add the BANG sound at the same time it pushes the notification that the engine is charged.

What this would do in theory is in the notifications when it tells you that the engine is ready (as this is when the ship begins to pick up speed) it would also play the BANG sound at that EXACT moment as you added a whole new sound inside the DO IF statement inside the same block that the XML file tells pushes the message to the screen ;)
Actually, this is already the case in the game so we don't need to code it.

The extra bit at the beginning of the "travel mode on" sound was what caused it not to be in sync with the notification and the speed increase. I combed through my audio files and I managed to create a new travel mode on sound specifically for L and XL ships. It is a much snappier sound, with a distinctive bang at the beginning. Now when the travel drive is fully charged, you have a distincive noise in sync with the notification and the speed increase. I think you'll like it!

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 10:53

Can't wait to try it
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 17:57

ledhead900 wrote:
Mon, 17. Feb 20, 10:53
Can't wait to try it
The next version should be up for this week. I just want to tweak a few parameters here and there and maybe add a few sounds.

In the meantime, here's a little "teaser" of the new L/XL travel sound:

https://youtu.be/RM4ydO0rEA4

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 18. Feb 20, 07:01

Neloth23 wrote:
Mon, 17. Feb 20, 17:57
ledhead900 wrote:
Mon, 17. Feb 20, 10:53
Can't wait to try it
The next version should be up for this week. I just want to tweak a few parameters here and there and maybe add a few sounds.

In the meantime, here's a little "teaser" of the new L/XL travel sound:

https://youtu.be/RM4ydO0rEA4
that.. is.. sooo much smoother :)
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Neloth23
x4

Re: [MOD] X4 Sound Overhaul v1.20

Post by Neloth23 » Wed, 19. Feb 20, 20:05

Version 1.20 is out.

• Added new travel drive activation sound for L and XL ships
  • Added new speedbar sounds
  • Improved synchronisation of travel drive sounds for L and XL ships
  • Lowered volume of ship ignition starts and stops
  • Lowered distance radius of asteroid explosion sounds
  • Switched a few ship ignition start and stop sounds

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Wed, 19. Feb 20, 23:44

Excellent updating this shortly
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Fri, 21. Feb 20, 21:25

Be sure to fix those after Beta 6 update:

Code: Select all

[General] 0.00 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_LFE']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_LFE']/volume' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_m_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_m_02_thrusters_break']/volume' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_above']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_below']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_above_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_above_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_below_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_01_wall_below_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_above']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_below']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_above_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_above_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_below_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_02']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_02_wall_below_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_above']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_below']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_above_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_above_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_below_left']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_03']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_03_wall_below_right']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_l_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_l_01_gforce']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '//group[@id='enginedetail_ship_xl_01']/sound[@id='enginedetail_ship_xl_01_gforce']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '/soundlibrary/sound[@id='explosion_close_short_s_muffled']/effects' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '/soundlibrary/sound[@id='explosion_close_s_muffled']/effects' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '/soundlibrary/sound[@id='explosion_close_m_l_short_01_muffled']/effects' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '/soundlibrary/sound[@id='explosion_close_m_l_muffled']/effects' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '/soundlibrary/sound[@id='notification_external_fail_01']/sample' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 No matching node for path '/soundlibrary/sound[@id='notification_external_fail_01']/volume' in patch file 'extensions\x4_sound_overhaul\libraries\sound_library'. Skipping node.
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'wpn_beam_gen_startshooting' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'ui_mon_eve_money_up' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'ui_mon_eve_money_down' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'ui_mon_eve_notoriety_up' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'ui_mon_eve_notoriety_down' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'enginedetail_ship_l_01_thrusters_accel_02' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute
[=ERROR=] 0.00 SoundLibrary: Sound ID 'enginedetail_ship_l_01_thrusters_break_02' has a sample without any start/loop/end attribute

Neloth23
x4

Post by Neloth23 » Fri, 21. Feb 20, 22:32

Shuulo wrote:
Fri, 21. Feb 20, 21:25
Be sure to fix those after Beta 6 update:
Thanks, I'll clean my mess!

And thanks for making me discover X4 debug mode. I'll make sure to keep a clean code from now on!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”