[Mod] Expanded Sectors x2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Max Bain
x3ap

Re: [Mod] Expanded Sectors x2

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:08

Papertiger wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 10:32
I'm using Win 8.1. Which folders do I need to pack into a .cat file? The whole ExpandedSectors_x2? Or just the extensions and maps folder? Just the extensions folder?
I dont know exactly because I never do this. Try the whole folder and look how it looks afterwrds.
It must look like this:

extensions/expandedsectors_x2/
inside are content.xml, ext_01.cat, ext_01.dat

So if the above does not work, try to pick just the folders without the content.xml.
If that still does not work, maybe someone else can help here?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:09

Battlestar01 wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:01
Hi

I have a question regarding the installation of version 1.03. Couldn't find any installation instructions.
Inside the "ExpandedSectors_x2" folder there is another "extensions" folder for the DLC content. Has this second extensions folder to "stay" there or do i need to copy the "ego_dlc_split" folder of this mod to the main extensions folder?
What i am trying to ask is will the resulting folder structure look like this:

x4/extensions/ExpandedSectors_x2/extensions/ego_dlc_split/maps/xu_ep2_universe/

or should it look like this:

x4/extensions/ExpandedSectors_x2/
-----------------/ego_dlc_split/maps/xu_ep2_universe/
All must stay as it is. Yes, double extensions path is correct for the unpacked mpd version.
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Papertiger
x4

Post by Papertiger » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:55

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:08
Papertiger wrote:
I'm using Win 8.1. Which folders do I need to pack into a .cat file? The whole ExpandedSectors_x2? Or just the extensions and maps folder? Just the extensions folder?
I dont know exactly because I never do this. Try the whole folder and look how it looks afterwrds.
It must look like this:

So if the above does not work, try to pick just the folders without the content.xml.
I did put the whole expandedsectors_x2 into the XRCat-Tool and packed it as "ext_01" into the expandedsectors_x2 again. It created then the ext_01.cat and ext_01.dat file there. After that I removed the extensions and map folders in the expandedsectors_x2 folder but left the content.xml.
(the content.xml is in the .cat-file too, not sure which one is necessary tbh)

So after that there were the following files left in the expandedsectors_x2 modfolder:
content.xml
ext_01.cat
ext_01.dat

I put this expandedsectors_x2 modfolder into the extensions folder from the game. The game fired up. The mod shows it's activated in the main menu under Extensions. I could start a new game (the first start option) but it doesn't seem to work. The game loads but there are still superhighways which should be removed from the mod afaik? Plus it doesn't look like that the sectors are expanded? Can't really tell... Putting the mod under documents gives me the same result. All other mods are deactivated, only the Split Vendetta DLC is on.

After that I put only the two folders "maps" and "extensions" into the .cat. Same result unfortunately.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:52

Papertiger wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:55
Max Bain wrote:
Papertiger wrote:
It must look like this:

I did put the whole expandedsectors_x2 into the XRCat-Tool and packed it as "ext_01" into the expandedsectors_x2 again. It created then the ext_01.cat and ext_01.dat file there. After that I removed the extensions and map folders in the expandedsectors_x2 folder but left the content.xml.

So after that there were the following files left in the expandedsectors_x2 modfolder:
content.xml
ext_01.cat
ext_01.dat

I put this expandedsectors_x2 modfolder into the extensions folder from the game. The game fired up. The mod shows it's activated in the main menu under Extensions. I could start a new game (the first start option) but it doesn't seem to work. The game loads but there are still superhighways which should be removed from the mod afaik? Plus it doesn't look like that the sectors are expanded? Can't really tell... Putting the mod under documents gives me the same result. All other mods are deactivated, only the Split Vendetta DLC is on.

After that I put only the two folders "maps" and "extensions" into the .cat. Same result unfortunately.
No mod belongs into the document folder. All go into the extensions folder inside X4 folder.

In the first start of the game yo start inside a cluster, so this "sector" will not be scaled up. You need to go into a single sector system. One where there is only one inside a hex field. There you should have bigger space.

Papertiger
x4

Post by Papertiger » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 17:04

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:52
Papertiger wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:55
Max Bain wrote:

It must look like this:

content.xml
ext_01.cat
ext_01.dat

No mod belongs into the document folder. All go into the extensions folder inside X4 folder.

In the first start of the game yo start inside a cluster, so this "sector" will not be scaled up. You need to go into a single sector system. One where there is only one inside a hex field. There you should have bigger space.
Thanks for the reply. That could be a reason for not having a scaled sector. But the superhighways should be gone? Or ar they still there and just deactivated?

Regarding the documents folder. In the German modding forum it's actually communicated that some mods could only work when put under Documents\Egosoft\X4\Extensions because egosoft initially designed it that way. But this could be old news and I saw that your mod gets automatically transferred there too (and the factions War mod too even if not activated). Others are nor like "Getting Paid".

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 17:18

Ok didnt know that with documents folder but I dont think that this is still actual.

The Highways should be gone (the strees where all the S and M ships fly on). The Gates and the Accelerators between sectors (some are also called super highways I think) are still there.

Papertiger
x4

Post by Papertiger » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:01

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 17:18
Ok didnt know that with documents folder but I dont think that this is still actual.

The Highways should be gone (the strees where all the S and M ships fly on). The Gates and the Accelerators between sectors (some are also called super highways I think) are still there.
Maybe it works now with the packages. Still not quite sure because I can't get a visual comparison between distances. Everything seems to be the same distance than before.

I'm sorry for the unconvenience and thanks for the help. But I think using mods for X4 gets a bit too complicated for me. Never had such problems with X2/X3. It's not not only this mod but others as well. Seems to be related with .cat files.

But after spending 4 hours to figure this out I just have to take my losses here. Anyway, seems I'm an odd one here and it works for others seemlessly :gruebel:

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:14

Papertiger wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:01
Max Bain wrote:

Maybe it works now with the packages. Still not quite sure because I can't get a visual comparison between distances. Everything seems to be the same distance than before.

I'm sorry for the unconvenience and thanks for the help. But I think using mods for X4 gets a bit too complicated for me. Never had such problems with X2/X3. It's not not only this mod but others as well. Seems to be related with .cat files.

But after spending 4 hours to figure this out I just have to take my losses here. Anyway, seems I'm an odd one here and it works for others seemlessly :gruebel:
I think the problem is that you use an old windows and not steam. On steam you simply subscribe to a mod and its installed and works. WIth WIndows 8 I have seen many ppl saying they have some problems.
If you are unsure if the mod is correctly installed and works, try comparing the screenshot I made on page one.

Papertiger
x4

Post by Papertiger » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:34

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:14
Papertiger wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:01
Max Bain wrote:

I think the problem is that you use an old windows and not steam. On steam you simply subscribe to a mod and its installed and works. WIth WIndows 8 I have seen many ppl saying they have some problems.
If you are unsure if the mod is correctly installed and works, try comparing the screenshot I made on page one.
I did take your screenshots as reference because I can see the difference there. But looking at my own screenshots as comparison I can't tell a difference there. Probably doesn't work.
But I'm not going to buy the whole game including DLC on Steam again nor do I have the intention switching my whole OS just for the game. And the game is despite a good "Foundation" not really enjoyable without mods. I won't refund the DLC though because I like Egosoft in general. Thanks for your help mate but I will just leave the game behind as frustrating as it is. But my senses tell me it won't get better for me and I will look for something else to play.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”