[Mod] Expanded Sectors x2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Max Bain
x3ap

[Mod] Expanded Sectors x2

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 6. Mar 20, 20:43

For me the distances in nearly each sector of the game are too short. When I can reach the gate at the other side of the sector in no time, the sector does not feel big enough for me. So I made this mod.

This mod increases the distances between all objects in each sector by a factor of 2. So gates and stations are in general twice as far away as in vanilla.
It also removes all super highways.

Keep in mind that you need a fresh start to have the expanded universe.

Works with Split sectors as well.

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files

Will this impact my performance?
No, because it only increases the distances and fills them with empty space, the should be absolute no performance hit. The number of stations and ships is uneffected by this mod.

Pictures for comparison:
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Max Bain on Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:15, edited 4 times in total.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Newinger
x4

Re: [Mod] Expanded Sectors x2

Post by Newinger » Fri, 6. Mar 20, 21:56

I will give this a try. It may also slow down the speed a bit in which the universe evolves, giving me some time to catch up (although of course my ships also need more time to move; I mean this more in relation to my mind :D ).

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 6. Mar 20, 22:12

Newinger wrote:
Fri, 6. Mar 20, 21:56
I will give this a try. It may also slow down the speed a bit in which the universe evolves, giving me some time to catch up (although of course my ships also need more time to move; I mean this more in relation to my mind :D ).
One thing that it will definitely do is make large miners/transports more useful.
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 00:11

Hm... with this mod installed, I can't go from Hatikvah's Choice I to Hatikvah's Choice III. The super highway entrance in I does not work, but flying manually in that direction does not let me change the sector.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:24

Newinger wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 00:11
Hm... with this mod installed, I can't go from Hatikvah's Choice I to Hatikvah's Choice III. The super highway entrance in I does not work, but flying manually in that direction does not let me change the sector.
The strange thing is I noticed that too, but I tested it also with the mod deactivated and it made no difference - still a deactivated gate. I think its a Beta bug.

Here you can see what I mean. The screenshots are without the mod and a fresh start:
Spoiler
Show

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:41

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:24
Newinger wrote:
The strange thing is I noticed that too, but I tested it also with the mod deactivated and it made no difference - still a deactivated gate. I think its a Beta bug.
Hm, thanks for the reply, but I can't confirm this guess. I removed your mod from the extensions folder and made a fresh start, and the highway to HCIII works fine again.

(Note that just switching off the mod in the X4 settings requires to restart X4 before it takes effect.)

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:46

Newinger wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:41
Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:24
Newinger wrote:
Hm, thanks for the reply, but I can't confirm this guess. I removed your mod from the extensions folder and made a fresh start, and the highway to HCIII works fine again.

(Note that just switching off the mod in the X4 settings requires to restart X4 before it takes effect.)
WIll test that again thanks.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:50

Hm I did a restart without the mod and its still broken on my end. The sectors do have the vanilla size again so it must be something else...

Strange. Its still broken even when I remove all mods I have. You sure that it works with vanilla and newest beta?

Edit: Did not know that you need to fly to the gate to activate it. This works in vanilla but not with mod. So can confirm bug.

Try to fix it.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 11:21

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:50
You sure that it works with vanilla and newest beta?
Yes, it was the first thing I tested after I removed your mod.

Thanks for testing!

(Actually, I'd be happy with a version of your mod that leaves the highways alone, since I used the NoSuperHighway mod before for removing the ring highway).

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 11:53

Newinger wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 11:21
Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 10:50
You sure that it works with vanilla and newest beta?
Yes, it was the first thing I tested after I removed your mod.

Thanks for testing!

(Actually, I'd be happy with a version of your mod that leaves the highways alone, since I used the NoSuperHighway mod before for removing the ring highway).
I need to remove highways because if people use my mod with highways the highways will not lead to the gates then because I have not adjusted the highway positions and it looks strange and wrong.
So if you use this mod, you can deactivate the other highway mod.

I now have a solution. Because it seems clusters are broken when you change the distances, I simply leave cluster sectors as they are. Only single sectors are adjusted now. I think this is not so bad because cluster systems are already very small on the map and some cluster sectors are huge in vanilla already.

I tested it with several cluster gates and it worked, but maybe you can test it also before you start playing a longer session.

Uploaded the fixed version.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 12:33

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 11:53
I now have a solution. Because it seems clusters are broken when you change the distances, I simply leave cluster sectors as they are. Only single sectors are adjusted now. I think this is not so bad because cluster systems are already very small on the map and some cluster sectors are huge in vanilla already.
Sounds like a good idea! I will download the new version and report back soon.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 12:35

Newinger wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 12:33
Max Bain wrote:
Thank you :). I tested even more and could not find a broken gate. But you know, 4 eyes are better than 2.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 14:27

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 12:35
Newinger wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 12:33
Max Bain wrote:
Thank you :). I tested even more and could not find a broken gate. But you know, 4 eyes are better than 2.
I _think_ it works fine so far.

I like the bigger sectors very much. :)

Now it will be interesting to see if there is any impact on economy and warfare with the bigger sectors.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 17:02

Thank you for testing :).

I think it will have an impact, but its difficult to say what exactly. Many different play tests wuould be needed to say what exactly would be the effect.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 21:04

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 7. Mar 20, 17:02
Thank you for testing :).

I think it will have an impact, but its difficult to say what exactly. Many different play tests wuould be needed to say what exactly would be the effect.
Indeed :) I'm very curious :)

(And I hope you will update your mod once the Split DLC is out ...)

Mountain_Puncher
x3tc

Post by Mountain_Puncher » Mon, 9. Mar 20, 21:53

Pardon me, I was thinking of another way to make X4 feel larger and wondered if it had been considered. Disabling the highways is a must, but would it be possible to restrict the travel drive somewhat as well? I think disallowing S ships from engaging travel and reducing drive speeds would give sectors a larger feeling without expanding and could have other benefits of making carriers serve a critical function.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Tue, 10. Mar 20, 14:40

Mountain_Puncher wrote:
Mon, 9. Mar 20, 21:53
Pardon me, I was thinking of another way to make X4 feel larger and wondered if it had been considered. Disabling the highways is a must, but would it be possible to restrict the travel drive somewhat as well? I think disallowing S ships from engaging travel and reducing drive speeds would give sectors a larger feeling without expanding and could have other benefits of making carriers serve a critical function.
No don't disable the travel drives, the game balances combat around them, especially regarding ai response times. Fighters are meant to be fast, let them be. A scout should be faster than a carrier, it should be able to get in and out from behind enemy lines.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 10. Mar 20, 15:44

Rastuasi wrote:
Tue, 10. Mar 20, 14:40
Mountain_Puncher wrote:
Mon, 9. Mar 20, 21:53
No don't disable the travel drives, the game balances combat around them, especially regarding ai response times. Fighters are meant to be fast, let them be. A scout should be faster than a carrier, it should be able to get in and out from behind enemy lines.
I must admit, that I had a similar idea as MountainPuncher long ago. But I can calm you down. I wont add it to this mod.

I think that fighters should be significant faster in dogfights than carriers, but in long distance travels it should be the opposite and because we dont have some kind of warp drive or fuel, this will be done by travel drive and there I think that capitals should be better than fighters.
So maybe in the future I will make such a mod, but actually I dont have time for this.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 22:15

Version 1.0.3 works with split sectors now.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 11:09

Has anyone else started experiencing that bug where you go through a gate and get flung out to the edge of the sector after installing this mod?

I know it's a vanilla bug (or it used to be?) but I've never had it happen once in hundreds of hours until I installed this, then it happened twice in the last two hours. Trying to figure if it's related or just a weird coincidence.
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”