How do I make a compatibility patch?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

user1679

How do I make a compatibility patch?

Post by user1679 » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 10:19

I'm looking for a help making a compatibility patch for my mod based on having another mod installed. A DIFF mod that can be enabled to overwrite my original mod.

I made a simple "alternate start" mod by modifying an existing gamestart and changing the ship to a basic Elite Sentinel and only 5,000 cr in the bank. I recently installed Rise of the Ossian Raider but I find that my mod starts the player way too far from the NPC you need to speak to in order to set the RoR mod options. I have to fly through about 8 sectors and that just takes way too long when just starting the game. I just want to talk to the NPC and start playing.

Here is the part of my mod I want to patch:

Code: Select all

<location galaxy="xu_ep2_universe_macro" zone="zone002_cluster_06_sector001_macro" room="dockingbay_arg_s_01_macro" station="station_gen_factory_base_01_macro" equipmentdock="true">
              <player>
                <position x="-2.5" y="1.7" z="21" />
                <rotation yaw="145" pitch="0" roll="0" />
              </player>
            </location>

I extracted the RoR mod from the CAT files and began searching through the various XML but I guess I just don't understand NPCs enough. I can't find the station that the NPC is on. I found the NPC and a macro that creates her room and adds her to it but I can't find the macro name for the station. I used the name as seen on the map but it isn't anywhere in the files (not even the "t" folder).

Additional Info:

* NPC: Faith Valentine (ror_char_argon_female_mod_macro)
* Location: Terran Omega in the Triton sector (both added by mod, I think) - I got this from the in game map
* In file \md\ror_create_room_fp.xml her room is created and she is added

DeadAirRT
x4

Re: How do I make a compatibility patch?

Post by DeadAirRT » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 23:16

So I'm not sure how in this particular instance (on my phone at work) but typically for diffs that only happen when a certain mod is installed, you would be very specific in the xpath.

user1679

Re: How do I make a compatibility patch?

Post by user1679 » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 03:21

DeadAirRT wrote:
Tue, 23. Jun 20, 23:16
So I'm not sure how in this particular instance (on my phone at work) but typically for diffs that only happen when a certain mod is installed, you would be very specific in the xpath.
Thanks, I'm not sure it would work for my case anyway. From looking at RoR and the various macros that create the sector/station/room/npc, it appears like it's not a fixed x,y,z coordinate so hard coding values in my mod would probably sometimes work and others end up spawning me in space.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”