is it me or X4 modding community is dying?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

magitsu
x4

Re: is it me or X4 modding community is dying?

Post by magitsu » Sun, 13. Sep 20, 13:17

Takiro Ryo wrote:
Sat, 12. Sep 20, 17:58
Would be cool to have but I doubt we get something like this before the last DLC is out since developing this would take resources away from the main project. I'd expect this to only happen (if at all) after no new content is in development for x4. And if game development is anything like usual software development, development of an X5 will probably start just after x4 is "done". So we probably never get dedicated modding tools by Egosoft especially since this would be another software that would need maintainance, support etc..
True. Almost guaranteed there won't be any unless they'd make a plan to build one for themselves with the intention to release it later. Something just for the modders won't happen.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 08:06

Personally I think the problem is the lack of documentation. I know several languages, including XML, lua and C++ but I feel like a total novice when it cmes to X4 modding.

I've extracted all the main game files and looked through them but it isn't very helpful. For example, a CUE can provide PARAMETERS when it is triggered. You can see in some of the XML files a reference to param or param2.indexOf{} but there's no documentation to explain what the params are (ships, players, npcs, etc) or what parameters are provided by what cue types.

People will say "just read the XSD or existing mods" but the problem is if your particular issue isn't covered by someone figuring it out can be so time consuming that giving up is almost inevitable. For example, I've been working on spawning an NPC based on certain criteria. So far I've not been able to find any way to determine what station the player is on when the game is loaded. There are several examples of how to do it on docking and other events but not game start / load.

If there was a more comprehensive documentation besides the X4 Rebirth wiki, modding would probably be very robust.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 07:29

My main issue is that the base game still hasn't hooked me enough to want to spend the time modding it. I only did a few light scripts/mods for x3, but that was because the game drew me in enough that I wanted to tweak the few things that weren't working just right.

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 08:46

I'm always amused when this thread comes up considering the X4 Modding channel on Discord is pretty active...

Perhaps the post title could be updated to:

Is the X4 modding community dying? Join our Discord and find out! :P

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 11:52

Angsaar wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 08:46
I'm always amused when this thread comes up considering the X4 Modding channel on Discord is pretty active...

Perhaps the post title could be updated to:

Is the X4 modding community dying? Join our Discord and find out! :P
I would think a better wording of OP would've been why the game community seems slow at times or small. The X series hasn't really been mainstream or big compared to other genres. If we were to say X series people would likely think X-Com instead. I still play Vicky 2 or SoaSE. The games are very niche, especially beyond the official support. The games aren't really attractive to big swathes of the population. It's just how it is in reality. Egosoft hasn't AFAIK purged the community around the older games which is commendable. If they were like EA or some other corporations the forums would be gone along with all archived data. Anyone remember Earth and Beyond? Many such cases with companies and games people loved.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”