I wanted to post this in a private message, but it didn't allow me to do it. So I will post it this way

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

I wanted to post this in a private message, but it didn't allow me to do it. So I will post it this way

Post by Guest » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 01:55

Regarding to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=422018&start=75

I have read the different comments out there and I would like to add this:

I am a sound designer myself, and personally I wouldn't like it when someone would 'just' copy my sounds to improve the needs for a game just for 'fun'... or what ever other reason there is.

Just to add this to the thread:

Code: Select all

You should not believe everything that someone writes from nothing. He is a nobody!
1. he has not even introduced himself
2. would the companies contact you themselves if they wanted to
3. you should not give up everything because of a troll
1. I am Hydlide of reasonexperts.com
2. I have certain obligations to protect the work from others
3. I am not a troll. Trust me ;)

Code: Select all

@Hydlide: thank you for destroying a mod for absolutely no reason. Neloth23 put a lot of work and time into something he wanted to give the community for no profit and you have nothing beter to do than destroying it.
Will the company of the game he has taken his sound files from have any disadvantage because of it? No!
Is he making any profit with the work of someone else, No!
Has he made other people happy by sacrifying his free time for other people, yes!
Again, thank you very much
I have my reasons for putting it this way. Because as the original author didn't think about the implications about 'just stealing', or 'borrowing' from other people. I therefor have a say in this. Because, well... I am also a sounddesigner. And I wouldn't like the idea that people would just 'sample' my stuff, throw it out in a different mod, and call it a day. Sounds are sensitive things, people make 'that' sound because they believe it is a part of their job... I am emphasizing the phrase job here, because they make a living out of it (so do I). Stealing my bread would just mean... you can take my food and get away with it. Ehm, I don't think so.

So yeah, do I make a profit out if this. I do. I work with companies like (and here it comes: native instruments, ableton, ample sound), is this related to anything to games. No... but because I do know there are a lot of other game studios that suffer from this, where... there is the call I made. Just like that.

Because personally (from a professional point of view) I do not like the idea that people just grab your stuff (even as a mod) and think they can get away with it.

So, what if I just extract all the ships from X4 and put them inside Elite dangerous? Ehm... Ow wait... Never mind about that idea. So, there goes the legal issue. I know, it is hard. But I don't want to sound like a school teacher all the time. Yet, sometimes I have to. So there is that part.

For me it isn't about 'screwing people over'. For me it about protecting those people who have been putting work (as labor, to be payed by it) and some other guy just wants to take it for their own personal mod. This is a no-go zone. As simple as it gets. I tried to contact the dev on this on youtube, but for some reason I couldn't post comments on his channel, so I thought I would do it this way (sure it is public, it sucks... but I had to because of professional reasons).

In the end, there are no loosers in this, only winners. In some point of time you'll get the sound mod you want, without having to worry about copyright issues (as one person said, I am working on it, but why even bother with it... because of comment as above ;))

Anyway, I would wanted to address this, and have this added to the above post just to have some closure to the topic. So people might have a better understanding at what is at stake here (at least that is the guesture I am trying to make in this comment).

Axeface
x4

Re: I wanted to post this in a private message, but it didn't allow me to do it. So I will post it this way

Post by Axeface » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 02:05

I'll link your comment from steam describing all your credentials just so everyone knows just how important you are.
I have full understanding of the Economy... And I am not talking about "death by china" now what? These type of comments make me sick, from the bottom of my heart. You think I am an 8th grade level now? You want my PHDs thrown in a forum. Ok... Wait one sec (bare with me, this might take some time to read it all):

Economy
- supply and demand
- logistics
- the organisations that drive an economy
- political impact on the economy

I am an educated programmer I have the following skills:
- C,
- C++
- PHP,
- Fortran,
- Visual Objects,
- Delphi,
- Object C,
- Java
- (I am not listing every language I know).

for sound design I know the following:
- dynamics
- expression
- character
- limiters
- spectral field
- eq

for 3d programming I know this:
- nodes
- textures
- uv mapping
- lighting
- dynamics
- morphing

for game design I know this:
- gameplay
- game design
- level design
- player interaction

and that should sum most of it up. I am probably missing something. But seriously... the 8th grade comment, should have been just dropped. in an instance.

Period.

The 8th grade comment, and educational stuff that people post on these threads as an argument: make me sick. So here you have my resume.... have fun with that ;)

I have skills... So that raises the bar for you any lot out there that wants to comment on my thought process ;)

Re: I wanted to post this in a private message, but it didn't allow me to do it. So I will post it this way

Post by Guest » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 02:10

So your point being?
I know copyrights. Do you?

At this point I rest my case by now. Period ;)

Post by Guest » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 02:24

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 13. Oct 20, 02:05
I'll link your comment from steam describing all your credentials just so everyone knows just how important you are.
I have full understanding of the Economy... And I am not talking about "death by china" now what? These type of comments make me sick, from the bottom of my heart. You think I am an 8th grade level now? You want my PHDs thrown in a forum. Ok... Wait one sec (bare with me, this might take some time to read it all):

Economy
- supply and demand
- logistics
- the organisations that drive an economy
- political impact on the economy

I am an educated programmer I have the following skills:
- C,
- C++
- PHP,
- Fortran,
- Visual Objects,
- Delphi,
- Object C,
- Java
- (I am not listing every language I know).

for sound design I know the following:
- dynamics
- expression
- character
- limiters
- spectral field
- eq

for 3d programming I know this:
- nodes
- textures
- uv mapping
- lighting
- dynamics
- morphing

for game design I know this:
- gameplay
- game design
- level design
- player interaction

and that should sum most of it up. I am probably missing something. But seriously... the 8th grade comment, should have been just dropped. in an instance.

Period.

The 8th grade comment, and educational stuff that people post on these threads as an argument: make me sick. So here you have my resume.... have fun with that ;)

I have skills... So that raises the bar for you any lot out there that wants to comment on my thought process ;)
Ps, have you have read the posts I made? What the f yo...
Yeah call me a troll for posting f words now...
Last edited by Guest on Tue, 13. Oct 20, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 02:26

I am done here. Good luck mod team. You do the math now.
Like I said pack of wolves. You go choke on them now. Good luck. I am out.

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 09:20

Hi hydlide,

At first when I read your post raising copyright issues - I was angry that some anonymous troll drops in and destroys the party, especially that IMO Neloth hasn't caused ANY loss to any company with that niche mod.
And to be clear - I don't think that taking someone's sound files (or anything else) is ok. Just that in this case it doesn't really harmed anyone.
He just made a few more people happy.

And although I still think so - your point of view is also valid.
Some things are just not black and white.

Thanks for taking your time and making some background on your first post.
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 09:22

If I would be you, I would differ between stuff someone is stealing from me to make profit of it or if he is stealing stuff from me and going into competition with my work so I might earn less money versus someone who is taking my stuff and putting it into a mod for free without touching my business. We also might differ the time when someone is doing this. If he is "stealing" your work while you just released it or years after the game where the sounds are beeing included is nearly dead already.

I think there are two kind of people, some who dont care or even like it if others "honor" their good work so it will be used in more than just one game so it can live longer versus others like you, who think that it is better that your work will die with the project it was made for because you want that others have to pay for it as well even if it is certain that this wouldnt happen.
Lets take Star Trek mods for example. There are tons of them out there and they all use warp, phaser and beam sounds of the series but I never heard of any mod that had to be stopped because of it and I am pretty sure its because the company knows that it does not steal their money but in fact is more indirect publicity for their Star Trek universe. IF instead another company would copy their sounds and create a movie or TV show, than this would be different and totally understandable.

So we can be lucky, that there are lot of other people who create stuff for free for different communities and dont care if someone is reusing their stuff. Maybe you should think about this if you ever play a mod (for any game). Its maybe not a sound mod, but be sure that someone put hard work into it. If everyone would only make mods for money, we would never have mods at all.

Edit: and one other category of people I forgot. These who first inform the companies because of copyright issues before asking the person in the forum to stop it.

That is at least my opinion.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

aurumgallente
x4

Post by aurumgallente » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 10:29

Just for the record, when I worked on X2 mod many years ago, I also took a few soundtracks and loading screens from one of space games oriented site. But before this I contacted every author for explicit permission to use it in my mod.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 11:39

Since this thread breaks forum rules by reopening a discussion locked by a moderator, and also has nothing much to do with S&M but is more about some posters comparing egos, this can also be locked.

I strongly recommend that nobody opens anything similar as a result.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”