How to make a custom gamestart ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sixters
x4

How to make a custom gamestart ?

Post by Sixters » Sat, 17. Oct 20, 13:36

Hi there,

I would like to make some custom game starts to further customise my experience, and i admit speed up a bit the early-game because i've made separate playtroughs of the early game, and now i just wanna go straight to mid/late.
Does anybody know of a good tutorial for this, or could explain here to do it ?
If that matter, i would like to make a custom gamestart for a quite heavily modded game with DeadAirGateOverhaul, so sectors and faction positions etc are not vanilla.

I found this quite complete (and complex) guide but it's for XR so i dont know if this is accurate and still okay for X4 or not at all : viewtopic.php?t=382132

Thanks to everyone that read this :D

Newinger
x4

Re: How to make a custom gamestart ?

Post by Newinger » Sat, 17. Oct 20, 13:56

I would be interested in such a guide, too. For me it would be sufficient to explain what one needs to change in the xml files of existing downloadable game starts in order to get a different starting sector/station type, different character name, different species, different owned ships/stations, and biography text.

Sixters
x4

Post by Sixters » Sat, 17. Oct 20, 14:09

I'm currently following the linked guide and comparing line by line with a random custom start mod i found for X4.
For the moment it looks quite similar, so i will make some test and tell my journey there.

Still, it's like walking with eyes closed for me. Like for exemple what is the "Location galaxy" in the gamestarts.xml ? I found the value here different between the tutorial and the custom start i'm looking at. Might be related to the fact tutorial was for XR so i will use X4's custom mods values (i'm currently looking at the Dead Air custom start and another start called Nopileos true fortune)

FlynTie

Post by FlynTie » Thu, 22. Oct 20, 18:11

Fun fact, Egosoft actually has a "creative" gamestart that let's you setup a lot of things (Name, Starting Ship including fitting, Starting Sector, Money, Relations and more) before you start your game but it's set to hidden/debug. I'm sure there's a reason for that but since modding sometimes allows us to uncover the hidden secrets :D i've very quickly made a mod that enables this Gamestart.

https://mega.nz/file/dppwATAI#tlKyx4y4C ... AAe3iuiAv4

Install it like any other mod by dropping it in your extensions folder inside your game folder.

Again remember there might be a reason why it's set to hidden, so don't expect support from Egosoft. But from what i've seen it shouldn't create any issues.

As for the How-To make your own Gamestart, i'd recommend digging through the gamefiles yourself.
gamestarts.xml inside the libraries folder is a good start but also DeadAir's Gate Overhaul is a good learning resource.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Thu, 22. Oct 20, 23:49

FlynTie wrote:
Thu, 22. Oct 20, 18:11
Fun fact, Egosoft actually has a "creative" gamestart that let's you setup a lot of things (Name, Starting Ship including fitting, Starting Sector, Money, Relations and more) before you start your game but it's set to hidden/debug. I'm sure there's a reason for that but since modding sometimes allows us to uncover the hidden secrets :D i've very quickly made a mod that enables this Gamestart.

https://mega.nz/file/dppwATAI#tlKyx4y4C ... AAe3iuiAv4

Install it like any other mod by dropping it in your extensions folder inside your game folder.
Awesome -- you really made my day. This is what I always wished for. Simply creating a new game with some starting parameters, like in "Alternate Start" mods for Skyrim or Oblivion :) Don't know if it will have any unwanted side effects yet, but I'll try :)

FlynTie

Post by FlynTie » Fri, 23. Oct 20, 02:19

Newinger wrote:
Thu, 22. Oct 20, 23:49
Awesome -- you really made my day. This is what I always wished for. Simply creating a new game with some starting parameters, like in "Alternate Start" mods for Skyrim or Oblivion :) Don't know if it will have any unwanted side effects yet, but I'll try :)
Don't thank me this is all on Egosoft, i've merely removed the debug flag so that it shows up in the list. ;) But it certainly is a neat feature and i too would love to see it find its way into the game.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Sat, 7. Nov 20, 13:12

I just want to be able to change the gender of the player char, I want to play the Zyarth start but dont want to be a woman. Likewise for the accomplished scientist start.

Lord Micha
x4

Post by Lord Micha » Tue, 10. Nov 20, 21:17

Absolute fantastic! Thanks a lot lot lot!!!!! :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”