Mod Request - Immediately Executed Orders

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Midnitewolf

Mod Request - Immediately Executed Orders

Post by Midnitewolf » Mon, 5. Apr 21, 02:45

I have a couple threads going on here asking if anyone knows of something similar to an old, abandoned mod over on Nexus Mods, called "Immediate Orders" or even knows of a source for an "Updated" version of this. Got message out on Reddit and Steam as well but alas no responses so I decided to try a different tact.

Is there anyone willing to maybe pick up this abandoned mod or create something similar.

All it does or all I would like to see it do, is add priority orders to the right click menu when selecting fleet commands. These priority orders automatically override and delete any previous orders of the ship/fleet your selecting and immediately execute the new order.

The original mod added just 5 things.

1) Fly To - without the Wait command. This one just makes it so you click on your fleet, select Fly to and it immediately move to that point after deleting any other orders it might have previous. It also eliminates the "Wait" so that it leave the Fleet ready to execute any new command immediately.

2) Attack - Issues an immediate order to attack that again deletes all previous orders and executes the attack immediately.

3) Attack in range - Same as attack above but only attack all targets in an area.

4) Dock at - Again just removed all previous orders and executes the command

5) Resupply/upgrade/Repair at - just another quick override that removes any previous orders and executes the command.

I have to admit I wouldn't mind this being expanded to behaviors like "Protect Position", Protect Station, Protect Ship and Follow Ship as well" but I could probably live without having one click priority behavors.

Also while I am really wishing for something, I would love for a command that allowed me to move my carriers without them issuing a "recall" subordinates order.

The reason why this sort of functionality is so important to me that I am almost begging for it, is that I like to conduct fleet battles very much like a RTS with no pauses or save scums with me in sector commanding the battle. I am constantly finding myself getting confounded by how the system automatically puts orders in a que set up where it has to execute the previous order before moving on to the next and I find my ships and fleets often getting rendered ineffective or killed due to having 2-3 conflicting orders in the que as I try to manage things in real time. These type of orders have their place for sure but I really want a reactive order system without having to take extra steps like remember to remove all orders before giving new commands . As it is right now I am finding myself so frustrated with the way things work regarding orders, that I don't even want to play the game so if anyone can whip this up and post it on Steam or Nexus or hell just send me the file directly, I would be eternally grateful.
Last edited by Midnitewolf on Sun, 11. Apr 21, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Mod Request - for someone who doesn't have a clue how to mod myself

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 5. Apr 21, 02:59

I would give it a shot but the problem is that it has to do with UI modding (Lua) which i know nothing about

Midnitewolf

Re: Mod Request - for someone who doesn't have a clue how to mod myself

Post by Midnitewolf » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 00:57

BlackRain wrote:
Mon, 5. Apr 21, 02:59
I would give it a shot but the problem is that it has to do with UI modding (Lua) which i know nothing about
Yeah that is why I am here begging for someone with the skills to create it. I was thinking about trying to figure out how to do it myself but it only took me a few minutes of looking into how this could be done to realize it was way, WAY above my head. My modding ability really only extends to editing txt files and maybe tables depending how hard it is to access the tables.

I can only hope someone can come to the rescue.

Honestly, I am surprised that there is no current mods that do this sort of thing. I can't be the only one who likes to manage their Fleet based battles more like an RTS and surely I am not the only one who had their entire battle plan foiled by having half the fleet fly off 3 sectors away because your forgot to remove the previous orders before issuing the attack command.

Midnitewolf

Re: Mod Request - Immediately Executed Orders

Post by Midnitewolf » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 19:28

I realized that my original title was kind of obscure since I wrote it with the hopes of peaking interest rather than just coming out and asking for what I wanted so I change it in hopes of getting more views and hopefully a affirmative response from someone with the expertise to actually create it.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 23:53

Ok I guess I need to raise the white flag here. No one on any forum seems to want to fix this mod or create a new one <sigh>.

Thanks to anyone who might have looked at this and even considered doing it for even a second.

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 03:01

Midnitewolf wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 23:53
Ok I guess I need to raise the white flag here. No one on any forum seems to want to fix this mod or create a new one <sigh>.

Thanks to anyone who might have looked at this and even considered doing it for even a second.
I know how hopeless it feels, and I kind of wanted the same too.

The original mod would be very difficult to modernize though--it's basically a wholesale lua replacement. Doing it all in lua again would be super fragile and likely to break frequently, and would also be very difficult to make compatible with other mods. Bringing all of that over to the MD side is theoretically possible, but would take a *lot* of work.

At some point it's easier just to click cancel all -> issue order.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 04:04

Alkeena wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 03:01
... snip ...
The original mod would be very difficult to modernize though--it's basically a wholesale lua replacement. Doing it all in lua again would be super fragile and likely to break frequently, and would also be very difficult to make compatible with other mods. Bringing all of that over to the MD side is theoretically possible, but would take a *lot* of work. ... snip ...
if a developer knows where the change is at, they can my UI Extensions (UIX) and create callback hooks from UIX's luas to the mod's luas.
so ... development is limited to just the changes - rather than the whole function in the lua, or the whole lua itself.

but, yes, moving it to the MD is a lot of work.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 21:31

Hey Alkeena and Kuertee, thanks for the responses to this thread. At least now I know why no one want to take on this project because it seems like a whole lot more work than I guessed it might be. I honestly just thought it would be likely as easy and doing some minor updating to the original abandoned mod to get it to work. It sounds like that is not the case at all <sigh>.

I honestly don't understand why the devs haven't added this in game, I mean it is so unintuitive to have all your orders go into a que system. Virtually any other game I have ever played would work the opposite with orders being immediately executed by default while things such as complex que'ed orders would require manual input. I mean nearly everything I want my ships to do in game, I want them to do now without a delay. It is pretty rare for me to want to set up an entire chain of orders for any given ship or fleet and usually when I do, it is only 2-3 orders deep at most so could be easily accomplished by something as simple as holding the control key while issuing the orders <sigh>.

Well it look like I will probably have to struggle on without this sort of thing, clunky as it is and just accept having to do a lot of pausing the game during combat to make sure my ships are doing what I want. To bad doing that is extremely immersion breaking since a battle, never gets to really feel like a battle.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 15:47

Hey, do you guys know about this workaround? It's not perfect but much, MUCH better until we get a proper modifier key to switch between queued and immediate orders.

You can assign a custom button to "remove orders" in Controls > Menu Navigation > Map controls

I mapped this to my side mouse button. Compared to default it's a godsend! No need to use right click "remove all orders" anymore. When i get off my seat and want the AI to stay put or if i want an AI captain do something right now i just need to select the ship in map and click the button before giving a new order.

The key will remove 1 order from last to first.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 07:05

Hector0x wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 15:47
Hey, do you guys know about this workaround? It's not perfect but much, MUCH better until we get a proper modifier key to switch between queued and immediate orders.

You can assign a custom button to "remove orders" in Controls > Menu Navigation > Map controls

I mapped this to my side mouse button. Compared to default it's a godsend! No need to use right click "remove all orders" anymore. When i get off my seat and want the AI to stay put or if i want an AI captain do something right now i just need to select the ship in map and click the button before giving a new order.

The key will remove 1 order from last to first.
Very cool. I will look into setting this up as it would be very helpful for sure.

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:21

Not exactly the same, but you might have some interest in this: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=437371

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”