A mod that removes fighters?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Remontti
x4

A mod that removes fighters?

Post by Remontti » Mon, 4. Mar 24, 18:00

Hi all

I'm pretty new with the game (just the base game, no DLC) and haven't got very far yet empire wise. The thing is that I've been longing for a space game with capital ships doing the combat. There are lot of mods for this game but I didn't find any mod that would prevent AI from building fighters but instead there seems to be mods that do the opposite. My understanding is that fighters are quite powerful in this game.

I looked bit into the modding forums and thought that thins kind of mod might be fairly easy to make. But I suck at modding if I need tools instead of just replacing some values in existing files.

Has anyone made such mod where the fleet combat ships are M-class or bigger? Would it be easy to make? Or do you think it would cause all kind of problems how the AI empires will perform if they are not allowed to build S-class combat ships?

Rothank
x4

Re: A mod that removes fighters?

Post by Rothank » Mon, 4. Mar 24, 21:26

Not exactly what you are looking for (that one does not exist), but VRO greatly buffs large ships, which shifts the combat largely in their favor.
However, if you are a new player, I would suggest you get to know and understand the game mechanics with vanilla, as VRO balancing is considerably more complicated and nuanced.
Image Image

Remontti
x4

Post by Remontti » Mon, 4. Mar 24, 21:43

I noticed VRO mod but my understanding is that I would need all DLC to use it. I only have the base game as I didn't want to buy any DLC before I figure out how much I like this game. Thanks for the tip anyway!

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Tue, 5. Mar 24, 10:27

Deadair has a mod that changes jobs and reduces fighters and adds more destroyers.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 5. Mar 24, 11:54

Its not too difficult to create such a mod yourself but probably quite tedious. You'll have to decide if its worth to put the work in

This is how you would proceed:

- get the 'X Tools' on steam
- use them to extract the Catalog (Cat) files which are located inside the X4 root directory
- go into your browser's advanced settings (about:config for Firefox)
- disable the setting 'security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy'. this allows you to open the extracted 'jobs editor' in the rootfolder. Its a browser based tool which allows you to modify how the factions organize their fleets. How many ships to use, etc.
- remove (or better just reduce) the fighter jobs for every faction and increase usage of their bigger ship types. This is the tedious part but you can filter for the smallest ship size. Then save your custom jobs file and create your own custom extension (mod) from it (requires a couple more steps, check this forum how to do it)

Remontti
x4

Post by Remontti » Tue, 5. Mar 24, 21:06

Deadair's mod also needs the DLC so I can't try it out yet but I keep it in mind.

I might try making the mod at some point but right now I just going to try getting my current game "finished". I saw a mod that increased ship counts by altering the jobs so I guess that is the right way to do it.

Thanks for the tips!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”