Jump Drive?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SirDeity12

Jump Drive?

Post by SirDeity12 » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 23:37

In X3:TC I could use energy cells to quickly jump from one system to another, to rescue a trader from a pirate attack or to simply save travel time. Does X4 have that option? If so, how do I use it? I didn't see a jump drive command anywhere in the controls.

Fonz
x4

Re: Jump Drive?

Post by Fonz » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 07:55

no jump drive sadly, but you can research teleportation after you do the phq plot and just port to a ship near your troubled freighter or even into the freighter.

LanGeDok
x4

Post by LanGeDok » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 12:19

Jump Drive is needed for carrier.

SirDeity12

Post by SirDeity12 » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 01:08

That's unfortunate. Jump drives were a lot more balanced. I love this game overall, but the way teleportation works seems to ruin the immersion. One can believe teleportation is possible given enough technological advancement and a sufficient source of power, but being able to teleport from anywhere to anywhere just doesn't make sense. I can teleport on foot from an AI controlled station to another AI controlled station without a teleportation platform? Is this Star Trek? Even in Star Trek you needed a ship with an entire room dedicated to teleportation. The power requirements are massive.

It would have been a lot more believable if Egosoft made it so teleportation not only took a lot longer to research, but also had some limitations. Here are some examples of how the teleportation feature could be implemented in a far more interesting and immersive way:

1. Change research times to something the player actually feels like they have to earn. For example, 3 hours for first level, 30 hours for second level, and 300 hours for the third level).

2. Change it so player's can only teleport between player owned ships with a teleportation platform installed.

3. Change it so the teleportation platform is free for the first ship and for the PHQ installation. It should cost at least a couple million for each additional ship installation and teleportation device installations should only be possible while docked at the PHQ.

4. Change it so teleportation devices are only compatible with larger ships having larger power generation capability.

Honestly, teleportation feels like an unfinished feature to me. It's as if Egosoft left it in its current state to make beta testing much more efficient, but forgot to finish implementing the feature (or ran out of time) before releasing the game. I'm hoping Egosoft will patch it to add depth and limitations, but at the very least I truly hope someone creates a MOD to improve the feature in a manner similar to what I've described.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 14:17

RIP jump drives :(

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”