Ventures: X4 is Semi-Multiplayer?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StoneLegionYT
x4

Re: Ventures: X4 is Semi-Multiplayer?

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 00:35

iforgotmysocks from Discord:

Code: Select all

chatwindow.lua

local isChatCommand
local onChatMessageReceived
local onChatMessageSent
local onChatServerConnected
local onChatServerConnectionFailed
local onChatServerConnectionLost
local onChatServerConnectionRefused
local onChatServerPlayerJoined
local onChatServerPlayerLeft
local onChatWindowCreated
local onChatWindowHidden

aftokinito
x4

Post by aftokinito » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 01:22

Any save game that contains any of the venture modules crashes next time you try to load it at around 58%.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 19:08

The unusual attachment points are probably because they were not implemented and the reason they have been disabled probably is because major bugs were unresolved before the release date.

aftokinito
x4

Post by aftokinito » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 20:43

The attachment points are intended. You can have more than one venturer branch per station and the following function only evaluates the venturer connections to search for docks:

uint32_t GetVenturePlatformDocks(UniverseID* result, uint32_t resultlen, UniverseID ventureplatformid);
The reason why the game crashes is because this always returns false, which tells me the game has its netcode disabled in engine for now:

bool IsNetworkEngineEnabled(void);
Also, more fluff: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=404647

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 21:05

carmaster wrote:
Tue, 4. Dec 18, 20:43
The attachment points are intended. You can have more than one venturer branch per station and the following function only evaluates the venturer connections to search for docks:

uint32_t GetVenturePlatformDocks(UniverseID* result, uint32_t resultlen, UniverseID ventureplatformid);
The reason why the game crashes is because this always returns false, which tells me the game has its netcode disabled in engine for now:

When I started X4 for the first time, I knew right away that X4 is just a stepping stone for a Multi-player game:
- No SETA (actually available after getting the parts)
- Smaller sectors, restricted within the hexagone.
- May be more that I missed .....

aftokinito
x4

Post by aftokinito » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 23:22

SETA was never available in any X game from the beginning and the sectors are as big as you want since the map will just shrink as you explore the boundaries of the sector.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 03:44

VincentTH wrote:
Tue, 4. Dec 18, 21:05
carmaster wrote:
Tue, 4. Dec 18, 20:43

When I started X4 for the first time, I knew right away that X4 is just a stepping stone for a Multi-player game:
- No SETA (actually available after getting the parts)
- Smaller sectors, restricted within the hexagone.
- May be more that I missed .....
Uh, Sectors are quite a bit larger in X4 than they were in X3.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 05:51

the rewards are going to have to be friggin epic to get me to not modify my game, when more player made scripts and mods come out....

Konradius
x4

Post by Konradius » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 19:36

grapedog wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 05:51
the rewards are going to have to be friggin epic to get me to not modify my game, when more player made scripts and mods come out....
Exactly! When it gets in I want a category for modified games. I don't care a modded game invades mine: it'll be just as bad a someone who put in 1000 hours.

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:10

I dont want to invide other players univers. I wanto play coop with friend. Modding should be no problem.
We did this in the past in modded Freelancer (star wasrs ships) with own server in Lan or Lan over VPN. It was such fun!!!
ALLE X Spiele und alle Bücher!

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:27

xtra wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:10
I dont want to invide other players univers. I wanto play coop with friend. Modding should be no problem.
We did this in the past in modded Freelancer (star wasrs ships) with own server in Lan or Lan over VPN. It was such fun!!!
It's really not invading it's sending a ship that does a task and goes back. It's a fun mini game that is not as complex or taxing as a full co-op game.

niksenior

Post by niksenior » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 16:30

carmaster wrote:
Tue, 4. Dec 18, 23:22
SETA was never available in any X game from the beginning and the sectors are as big as you want since the map will just shrink as you explore the boundaries of the sector.
Im pretty sure you started with it in X beyond the Frontier, it was a while back though

TheShear
x4

Post by TheShear » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 01:19

... I wonder if we can attack factions in other playergames? I want to wipe out the HOP in EVERY GAME!

frickenmoron
x4

Post by frickenmoron » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 10:45

niksenior wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 16:30
carmaster wrote:
Tue, 4. Dec 18, 23:22
Im pretty sure you started with it in X beyond the Frontier, it was a while back though
It was not, the Teladi start you out with a small loan at the start and you do not have SETA. it's one of the first things you should buy though.

Ranix
x4

Post by Ranix » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 11:14

conquestor wrote:
Mon, 3. Dec 18, 13:49
Funny that they've seen the constant negative reaction to the idea of multiplayer and still try to work on it. Maybe they were just trying to tick the box on steam?

Either way, glad they didn't waste time fully implementing this.
it will come in its own time

a lot of you are too young to remember multiplayer Freelancer I guess

aftokinito
x4

Post by aftokinito » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 15:02

The reason modded saves are not allowed to use the venturer system is simply because they are quite literally sending your ship to a server and then (this following part is speculation) injecting those ships into other players' games.
This means that if you have mods, your ships might have macros that either the backend server, the other game or both don't know about, which could cause unexpected consequences.

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 15:34

I really hope Egosoft isn't putting much in the way of resources into this.

So what happens? Your ships vanish, go do some "task" in another player's game, then reappear with some reward you could have just bought/built/modded in the game yourself? Sounds lame.

If their intention is to have you control your ships and zoom around in someone else's universe blasting things willy-nilly that involves a mountain of work and testing that major AAA studios struggle getting right. And given that modability is a selling point for the game, and that unmodded games would be required for this feature to work, wouldn't the "venture mission console" or whatever they call it be sparse and sporadic at best - especially as the game ages and the player base is primarily hardcore Xers? I know I'll never be playing unmodded, and I'm willing to bet the majority of you won't either. Unless we're talking consoles that can't be modded, but I'm not opening that can of worms.

r2vape
x4

Post by r2vape » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 03:18

Hey All, I think some may be jumping to conclusions a little quickly.

If you think about it, if this is indeed a feature being/already implemented, there are some rules it would enforce to prevent ruining one's single player game.

My thoughts on the restrictions that make sense:

- Unmodified games
- Established games with sufficient time passed (I would guess, 2x 8 hour periods was enough for me to get started and earning a good amount of ingame credits with my first 5 mining ships going)
- Size limited ventures/expeditions, meaning 10x Colossus cannot be sent. 1 destroyer, yes. 3x medium fighters, yes. Could be up to 10 trading/mining ships

The idea is not to wipe someone's game out. But provide some unique encounters. Suddenly, a destroyer comes in through a wormhole and starts attacking a trading/mining ship - could be player owned, could be NPC. What does that "game owner" do, dispatch a response fleet to deal with it? Let it run it's course?

In time, it could introduce an interesting way to trade - if a visiting trade ship contained something other than a cash injection, it could be a fully modded/upgraded part that would have taken a while to attain naturally?

I'm all for it.

Go Egosoft :) I have faith

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 03:39

It would just have to be some kind of awesome reward to play unmodded. I like that they are trying new ideas, but to not mod my X game.... that's a tough sell.

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 16:19

maybe you will be able to have a modified game and also an unoddified game? you will have to have both..

i am more concerned about the signed files, in X3 we were able to modified the game without the modified tag, we added sectors and modded stuff. by making a signature key (signing the mods ourselves) and hacking into the registry so the game never detected the modified files. ... unless Egosoft has other locks in place, this could mean trouble, unless. you are allowed to do specific tasks given by the module and bring you back upon finishing it.?

i am sure they know what they are doing :)
X gamer , one at a time.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”