Deliver: Suitable Ship (Boron mission)

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RavenDC4
x4

Deliver: Suitable Ship (Boron mission)

Post by RavenDC4 » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 14:53

Hello all. So apparently I got lucky the first time I did this. Started a new save now that I've learned some of the games mechanics. I've gotten to where I need to deliver a ship with antimatter x3 on board, and I'm now having an infuriating time actually completing it. As soon as I get within 180km of the objective (estimated) I get 5+ pirates calling me to drop cargo. Funny story, I watched the map on my most recent attempt, there where zero pirates on sensors at the time. Anyways.. first I try to fight. The ship I'm using is the little interceptor starting ship. Only modification from it's default loadout is upgraded thrusters. At least two of the pirates seem to always be in Ms. Once I got a L! I ded. Okay, maybe if I have my other ship help. Nope. So next try I decided to ignore the pirates and try to get the mission done quickly enough they don't catch up before I'm in my other ship. Well, tried that three times. Twice they blew up my interceptor before my other ship was in range and I got Game Over. Cool... Last time my other ship arrived long before they did but the quest decided I was trying to use that ship instead of the interceptor and reverted back to the "get antimatter" objective, even though the interceptor was already in position with the stuff on board. So, I had to go back to the interceptor and get in to fix that. Except now the pirates have arrived and destroyed my interceptor leaving me with one expensive ship and no antimatter.

I am using the Conquest and War mod, which I disabled for most of this experience but nothing changed. Did I miss something or is this insanely difficult?

Playbahnosh
x4

Re: Deliver: Suitable Ship (Boron mission)

Post by Playbahnosh » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:15

I think you are suffering from bad RNG. Although I would advise against using mods at this point, at least for the plot mission.
Other than that, hit an asteroid field and start hunting for "shinies". Under 30 minutes you can gather enough crystals to buy a fully kitted out Cerberus (or whatever is your fancy), then you can make short work of the pirates if they show up. Or buy a cloud of combat drones and sick 'em on the pirates. They can't fight for **** but maybe distract them long enough for the mission to complete.

RavenDC4
x4

Post by RavenDC4 » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:31

Hmm.. I hadn't thought of drones. The problem with getting an M or L sized ship to fight the pirates is I have to swap ships in space for the mission, right? So if I bring my second ship close enough to board her in time when abandoning the interceptor, the mission toggles to that ship instead and starts the whole mess over again. I might try the drones.. can they be launched from S ships? Also, I don't want to spend much on the ship I use for the mission as part of the mission is the ship exploding.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:48

Okay - I did this mission several times from the same save....

Sometimes I got a few pirates, Xenon and Khaak - others I got more ....

I used the starting Elite and used I think it was Calisto or something tiny as my antimatter...
Sent Calisto to get 3 A/M and I went scouting around the tear area and killed off a couple of Xenon.
Then went about halfway between the tear and the jumpgate where my Calisto would come out from getting
the A/M and waited for it to come through....
It then had about 3 attempts by pirates to attack - and each time, my calisto warned me that she had been asked
to drop cargo - so straight into the map - and the pirate wasn't even on scanner then - but appeared a few seconds later -
so I beelined for the calisto at travel speed and then slowed down nearing it then I usually had one pirate to fight
sometimes 2... I managed to finish with 9% hull on the calisto - andthen sent it to the tear where it survived the
mission.

Thus - scout first and get rid of any Xenon - then every time the calisto warns you - beeline for it at travel speed...
You can do it in the Elite and have another ship go to the tear - but you have to go near the tear yourself and then
move away to a lookout point whilst the second ship does it's thing.

Hope that helps

RavenDC4
x4

Post by RavenDC4 » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 17:05

I think it does help, thanks! I'll give it a go in a bit and report back. Got a new CPU to install first ;)

tc1961
x3tc

Post by tc1961 » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 00:02

I've been doing this mission and here some issues I ran into, Still have not completed it but:

First time I used my original ship, picked up the AM cells followed the directions and did not evacuate and game over after the ship exploded.

Second time did the same thing, mostly because I did not know how to get another ship to follow me, but I evacuated at the site, went to the 8km observation area in my space suit, the ship exploded, I was still alive, a wreck appeared, and I flew over to it, but the instructions I was receiving told me I needed to be in a ship or it would take forever to explore.

Third time I bought an Calisto Vanguard at the Argon ship dock,flew my original ship there, transferred the AM cells to the Calisto and figured how to get my sacrifice ship and captain to follow me to the Grand Exchange point.
I led the Calisto into the zone, the voice stated good when the Calisto was in the zone with the AM cells and he started the test and suggested I get to the observation area, which The first time I was close, like within 16m of the 8km area but my ship exploded. I had saved the game right before the Grand exchange jump gate so I started again. This time I overshot the zone with my ship, the Calisto was in the zone and my ship exploded again. Next time I was well beyond the 8km zone, in fact I "travel moded" way past it to insure I would not blow up, but my ship blew up again. Maybe the game doesn't like me sacrificing my captain... lol

Deep Space Dragoon
x4

Post by Deep Space Dragoon » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 05:37

I completed this first go,what i done was buy a small ship and sent it off to buy the Cells.When it was finished I told to the Pilot to dock at a Station in sector near the East Gate.I swapped Ships and reassigned the Pilot from that Ship to my old Ship as a Marine.I flew to the Mission area with my old Ship following on behind. When told to get out i did, started to fly in my Space Suit towards my incoming Ship when he was approx 300 metres from me I went to the map screen clicked on the ship and gave the order to Halt and Hold Fire.I flew the remaining distance and docked with the ship took control and flew to the safe area and watched the fireworks,Mission Complete! :)

Jamiroquail

Post by Jamiroquail » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 18:59

My version is something special.

Buy calisto, fit antimatter x3

Fly with extra ship to point.

Leave my elite docked with no antimatter at station nearby

activate sequence

Docked ship explodes and everything else is fine.

I am about to muder a human being! what in the hell is going on and how do i swap the ships it blows up to thew calisto?
If not i am cheating past this mission and giving myself tyhe cash time and effort it took out of me. its been 6 hours now!!!!
I can hear cheat engine calling my name because it was made for things like this that ruin games.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:39

I got a bit of credits together first picking off criminals and doing a couple of easy scan intelligence missions.

Not much, but along with the Borons contribution I bought a Falcon Sentinel with enough credit left to kit it out nicely and have enough left over for trading afterwards. Hired a pilot for this ship.

The anti-matter was in my starter ship, Elite. And flew this myself to the location, with the Falcon Sentinel as wingman, spacesuit across to the Falcon Sentinel and took over being pilot then flew away to a safe distance.

I had one Khaak to deal with, nearly finished it off with one missile, then took it out with the two gimbal pulse lasers. I had a few more bothering me afterwards, and they seem to have taken a shine to greeting me periodically .. But I think its just a case of luck of the draw.

You can get close enough to start leading them away if there are a few, toward other ships in the area which will have a go at them, and slowly get them picked off. Then get close enough to the area again afterwards to kick off the Boron using your ship to do the thing.

Having a save just prior to entering the area helps too, so the random generation of enemies in the area may vary, and your approach can be tried from different angles.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:58

Whichever ship you want blown up, is the one you buy the anti-matter with. The game doesn't track you swapping the anti-matter around with another vessel, just like some missions won't work if you teleport to a station if the first objective is to dock at the station.

So, buy your cheap ship, get into your cheap ship, fly to Anti Matter factory, and buy the anti-matter cells, with the cheap ship while you are on board.

Fly to spot you need to fly, have your good ship in your wing and close by. Park crap ship, get out and spacewalk to your other ship, fly to safe area, voila... success.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 20:38

I just drop a nav beacon, and ask my sacrificial lamb to fly to the nav beacon, kill off any attackers with my starting Disco, and voila, mission accomplished!

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 11:11

Jamiroquail wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 18:59

I am about to muder a human being! what in the hell is going on and how do i swap the ships it blows up to thew calisto?
If not i am cheating past this mission and giving myself tyhe cash time and effort it took out of me. its been 6 hours now!!!!
I can hear cheat engine calling my name because it was made for things like this that ruin games.
Hu? I buy a ship, put the pilot in my original ship and then fly the new one to the assigned location, with the other one trailing behind.

Then I leave the ship, go back to my original one in my suit, and fly out to safe distance. No precious life lost.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 20:12

RainerPrem wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 11:11
Jamiroquail wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 18:59

Hu? I buy a ship, put the pilot in my original ship and then fly the new one to the assigned location, with the other one trailing behind.

Then I leave the ship, go back to my original one in my suit, and fly out to safe distance. No precious life lost.
That works for you, but the RNG would make someone else's spacewalk a one-way trip to the GAME ENDED screen. The best way is to drop a beacon and command the sacrificial lamb ship to the fly to the beacon. Better to sacrifice NPC than yourself. Blame the slaughter on Ego!!! :-)

Gyroburner
x4

Post by Gyroburner » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 00:54

I always just left the pilot in the sacrificial ship and the mission proceeded normally even though I just got someone killed.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”