About rifts

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JetStreamAE
x4

About rifts

Post by JetStreamAE » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 19:35

The rift that takes you from Black Sun to Grand Exchange as part of the plot mission, is not the only one.
When I tried to go back to Black Sun, I was send somewhere else and decided to explore.

My findings about those rifts so far:

1. they are static (at least within a game), so marking them with nav beacons works well. EDIT: their position is static
2. they lead you to another rift (99.9% sure on that), but which one is random (except that one story line rift) EDIT: they send you somewhere else any time you go through
3. so far I have not found a rift in a system that is part of the highway ring, so they are a nice way to explore backwater systems (or circumvent hostile roadblocks)

[s]Currently I'm in a system, where I can't find the rift to get me back out (therefore point 2 only 99% sure).[/s] (EDIT: Found the rift.)

What do you know about those rifts?

May they lead to systems that don't have a rift?
May they disappear?
Do they have limited uses (like the mass limite that wormholes in EVE online had)?
Last edited by JetStreamAE on Thu, 6. Dec 18, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.

Bill67
x4

Re: About rifts

Post by Bill67 » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 20:40

I have only found a couple myself, got sidetracked when started mapping them. Always found one when came out tho. Didnt realize some wont dump you to a non rift spot, figured was just another type of right gateway system.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 20:45

I do think they are static, at least per game, and basically teleport you to a random one.

oli4uk
x4

Post by oli4uk » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 21:27

I've found one more of these hidden gates, great for getting around hte system fast, but it's annoying that following ships will not follow you through these (They'll take the long route)

aikjo2
x4

Post by aikjo2 » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 00:17

JetStreamAE wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 19:35
2. they lead you to another rift (99.9% sure on that), but which one is random (except that one story line rift) EDIT: they send you somewhere else any time you go through
If they lead to random rifts each time you pass through, mapping them will be radically easy.

1) jump through a rift
2) drop a nav beacon
3) jump through the rift you just came through
4) if you're bored / out of beacons, do something else / refill
5) go to step 2

there's a little loop of activity that should map all of them. That said, it'd be nice if they were tied to a destination so you could sneak a destroyer group into enemy space behind their fleets and wreck shop.
Eagles May Soar,
But rabbits don't get sucked into jet engines.

Barons
x4

Post by Barons » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 01:31

They do have a limit on what size ships can use them. At least I wasn't able to fly the construction ship through one.

Balgias
x4

Post by Balgias » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 09:30

how on earth do you people find these things, they don't show up on radar/scanners
lol x3

Ranix
x4

Post by Ranix » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 10:07

you have to honk

mattek1979
x4

Post by mattek1979 » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 10:12

Balgias wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 09:30
how on earth do you people find these things, they don't show up on radar/scanners
They do show up on long range scans. Drop a nav, go through and repeat in the new system. I guess finding the first one is the tricky part. Found them looking for derelict ships.

Balgias
x4

Post by Balgias » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 11:11

mattek1979 wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 10:12
Balgias wrote:
They do show up on long range scans. Drop a nav, go through and repeat in the new system. I guess finding the first one is the tricky part. Found them looking for derelict ships.
It was never made clear to me what nav beacons do
lol x3

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 11:34

Balgias wrote:
Long Range scan mode

They have a similar ping effect to Data Vaults
DV - Large Purple long ping effect
Rift - Small Purple short ping effect

Asteroids, Ships & Station Modules are small white short ping effect
Lock Boces ?? not found any yet

Rifts push your ship away too .. I had to boost through it.

Deep Space Dragoon
x4

Post by Deep Space Dragoon » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 13:51

Loot Boxes are Blue or Gold pings.Found a Sphere with 10 locks which gave gold ping,after trying a couple of times to unlocking it and blowing it to smithreens I gave up.Unless it becomes apparently that they drop something really worthwhile I ain't going to gimp myself by fitting lower power weapons just i can unlock Loot boxes occasionally. :lol:

edit to add that Shipwrecks and Asteroids can also give Blue or Gold pings just add to the confusion. :roll:

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 15:27

I have found rifts in highway ring systems, although it was the system where I got the player HQ mission. So it might have been generated by the mission itself.

Otherwise, your observations are dead-on. Rifts were also part of XR-home of light. They were static, and lead to another random rift. (That, or were associated by small groups, I never could get sure of that.)

I have no idea if in this game they change locations from one game to the next. Something we'll have to determine with time I guess.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

XRaygun
x4

Post by XRaygun » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 15:29

It would be very cool if we could build gateways using the rifts. I put down a small cluster of nav beacons to better show a rift on my map.

mattek1979
x4

Post by mattek1979 » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 08:43

Balgias wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 11:11
mattek1979 wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 10:12
Balgias wrote:
This, I guess, for me they're just map markers maybe they're good for more but nothing I've figured out

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 14:01

Balgias wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 11:11
They are just route markers ..

Used to see them all the time marking the path between gates in a few of the very foggy Boron sectors.
Without the beacons, you were just faced with an endless sea of green mist.

TheGreatGooglyMoogly
x4

Post by TheGreatGooglyMoogly » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 15:32

I found a rift right in the middle of my main station in Second Contact II. Theres a massive stream of ships trying to dock but getting sent to The Void then flying back in a big endless loop. :doh:

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 16:16

RodentofDoom wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 14:01

They are just route markers ..

Used to see them all the time marking the path between gates in a few of the very foggy Boron sectors.
Without the beacons, you were just faced with an endless sea of green mist.
There is no Boron sectors! Sadly. As far i know by moment

Eldhor

Post by Eldhor » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 00:10

Deep Space Dragoon wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 13:51
Loot Boxes are Blue or Gold pings.Found a Sphere with 10 locks which gave gold ping,after trying a couple of times to unlocking it and blowing it to smithreens I gave up.Unless it becomes apparently that they drop something really worthwhile I ain't going to gimp myself by fitting lower power weapons just i can unlock Loot boxes occasionally. :lol:

edit to add that Shipwrecks and Asteroids can also give Blue or Gold pings just add to the confusion. :roll:
For all the lock boxes that aren't the single lock you can jump out of your ship and use your spacesuit laser to open them. It takes time, but it's how you're supposed to open them. Also you can repair the box if you do to much damage to them, so I suggest having it targeted to see it's Hull HP and repair when it's around 20%

I've never found a Yellow pinged lockbox (at least not sense I figured out how to open the multi-lock box) so no idea bout it, but the eight lock lockboxes they have mines in them so be careful where you are and boost away as soon as the lock breaks so you can navigate and not die.

One, four, eight, and twenty lock lockboxes are the ones I know of, there may be some in between, but unsure.

nemhook
x3

Post by nemhook » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 17:28

I avoid them like the plague, they're too random and toss you out in the opposite side of were you want to be.
Even though i like u, i may be called upon to kill u one day, know it isnt personal when it happens
[ external image ]

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”