How to level up Piloting skill?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dbcohen
x4

How to level up Piloting skill?

Post by dbcohen » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 06:33

does anyone know what actions raise the piloting skill?

Paddyy
x3ap

Re: How to level up Piloting skill?

Post by Paddyy » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:07

Probably every command that involves flying the ship. Like Autoexplore, or trading... They might even level while you are in control of the ship. Just much slower.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 21:07

I put my 0 star pilots in scout ships and order them to autotrade. The profit is miniscule, but they do level up both piloting and management (!) as well as raise the factions relations.

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 21:22

isnt autotrade requires 3 star pilots?
X gamer , one at a time.

Eukatae
x4

Post by Eukatae » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 22:34

Start with a 3 star pilot, enable auto trade, swap out green pilot.

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 10:49

Crew level up skills as well whilst the ship they are on is doing stuff.

I've started filling my traders & miners with crew rather than marines
marines only seem to level up when boarding, and it's nightmare trying to use the same marine each time

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 13:26

You can issue and Auto-trade order with total rookie zero star pilots. However, you cannot set the auto-trade default behaviour until they've levelled up to three stars. The former is good for training an gaining rep, though not so much for money.

Scoob.

Rincewind79
x3tc

Post by Rincewind79 » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 16:34

How do you order a pilot to autotade? I only have the option under behavior. Also it would be cool to have some kind of tooltip with a more granular value, so I know if the pilot is progressing. Like "1563/2000 points" would mean this pilot needs another 437 points, to reach the next level.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 19:20

Rincewind79 wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 16:34
How do you order a pilot to autotade?
On the map just lefclick the ship to select it and then rightclick any empty bit of the map to have that in the context menu.
Very intuitive, I know.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:34

I just level up my pilots with manual trade, but any manual command works.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 12:18

I have my Behemoth doing trade in a tucked away safe sector while I'm not using it. Trade profits seems to count towards experience so I should switch to a Phoenix if I ever want more than 1-2 stars...

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 17:04

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:34
I only have a 2-star-pilot on my other ship (yes, just begun to play X4...) but - seriously - I have no idea how to give any order to that pilot. If I comm him, I have few options (Join my Squad; Fire), none of them is for trading purposes or for "going to/dock at".

So how do you order your pilot to do manual trade runs?

How do yo order a pilot to "fly to ..."?

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 17:28

zazie wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 17:04
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:34
I only have a 2-star-pilot on my other ship (yes, just begun to play X4...) but - seriously - I have no idea how to give any order to that pilot. If I comm him, I have few options (Join my Squad; Fire), none of them is for trading purposes or for "going to/dock at".

So how do you order your pilot to do manual trade runs?

How do yo order a pilot to "fly to ..."?
Select the ship you want to give an order to on the map and right click the location you want to move it to or the station you want it to trade with.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 17:32

Wou wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 21:07
I put my 0 star pilots in scout ships and order them to autotrade. The profit is miniscule, but they do level up both piloting and management (!) as well as raise the factions relations.
Wow! That's actually a very good idea!

I'll set up a fleet of pegasus next time I play XD.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 18:30

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 17:28
Select the ship you want to give an order to on the map and right click the location you want to move it to or the station you want it to trade with.
Thanks! Have to get used to the new menu-philosophy in X4. I would never have found out by-myself, I fear :D

On a side note: You want to mark a container floating in space? You can do that, but not on the huge map. Use those tiny little, hardly visible symbols in the radar instead :mrgreen:

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 00:04

zazie wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 18:30
On a side note: You want to mark a container floating in space? You can do that, but not on the huge map. Use those tiny little, hardly visible symbols in the radar instead :mrgreen:
You /can/do it on the main map. It's even explained in the tutorial: hover cursor over <item> & press T. If you /click/ on the item in the map it's a different context, which doesn't include targeting :(

I agree it's confusing & unintuitive, but I guess the DEVthink behind it is the necessity of having less options within certain context menus to avoid a whole stack of available commands..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 08:31

zazie wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 18:30
ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 17:28
Thanks! Have to get used to the new menu-philosophy in X4. I would never have found out by-myself, I fear :D

Or hover with the mouse over it on the map and hit T.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 16:08

I stand corrected. Thanks for hints and clarifications.
Mouse + t, that's using both hands for one command. In its normal position on [WAS]D, my finger can hardly hit t without my hand moving slightly away from steering-keys. But that's a completely other level of piloting skills :mrgreen:

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 23:20

Wou wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 19:20
On the map just lefclick the ship to select it and then rightclick any empty bit of the map to have that in the context menu.
Very intuitive, I know.
This doesn’t work for me. No autotrade option with right click. No autotrade option unless a three star pilot - and they’re impossible to find or level up to. :(

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 00:40

Eagle wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 23:20
Wou wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 19:20
Very intuitive, I know.
This doesn’t work for me. No autotrade option with right click. No autotrade option unless a three star pilot - and they’re impossible to find or level up to. :(

yeah, this "bug" was "fixed" a while ago, you can no longer level up your pilots this way, they need 3 stars to autotrade

they don't need a single star to trade for a factory you own though (or do combat stuff)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”