Bored Already. Am I missing something?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Wrench69
x4

Bored Already. Am I missing something?

Post by Wrench69 » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 02:18

I am already bored of the same. There is potential here but I am just bored to tears.

Everything is clustered with in 150km. I wish the bases were actually strategically located and further apart.
No Space exploration.
No Story.. Or Did I miss something besides the Unknown base.
No Space Anomalies, No Nebulas.
No diplomacy. This is a big one for me.
No Wars between factions.
No Trade Market window or center. Is it possible to build stations that can have trade routes between them for resources instead of these Monolithic basis.
Empty sectors devoid of any resources or interest. Just empty.
Planets look nice but cannot go to them.
Battles are really disappointing. (Freespace 2 had more excitement then this)

There is a good foundation here but its more of a footing.

Things I wish this game had.
Map and the ability to make notes on it.
Ability to change colors on the legend.

How do I fix the Michael Jackson effect? (constantly moving after I get out of the ship and sometimes my map keep scrolling)

strask412
x4

Re: Bored Already. Am I missing something?

Post by strask412 » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 02:40

Wrench69 wrote:
Wed, 2. Jan 19, 02:18
Everything is clustered with in 150km. I wish the bases were actually strategically located and further apart.
That is not true in my experience. Many sectors have widely-separated clusters of stations, long distances between gates, etc. Also could you elaborate on what you mean by strategically located? From what I've seen major station placement seems sensible enough.
No Space exploration.
That is not true in my experience. I have explored space for about 100+ hours so far and have not finished discovering everything.
True enough. Experience with Egosoft leads me to expect some plot lines will show up as add-ons and/or free updates as time passes.
Space Anomalies: Try using your long range scanner.
Nebulas: Check your graphics settings? I really can't understand how you have missed the nebulas. Maybe you haven't visited the right sectors?
You have a reputation score with each NPC faction. Your reputation can go up or down depending on your interactions with those factions. As a consequence of your reputation being high or low, the behavior of the NPCs belonging to those factions will be adjusted towards you appropriately. This isn't diplomacy?
Nearly every faction is at war with one or more other factions, and that's even if you discount the Xenon and Kha'ak.
No Trade Market window or center. Is it possible to build stations that can have trade routes between them for resources instead of these Monolithic basis.
Most trade management is done from the map interface, using the filters (found in the upper right of the map screen).
I haven't located any of those.
True enough.

Sorry you aren't enjoying the game as much as you would like to, but some of the things you have said are simply not true in my experience. Maybe exploring the game a little more would reveal some of the content that you are missing.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Wrench69
x4

Post by Wrench69 » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 03:11

I don't do this Micro Quoting.

Strategically located as in to a specific resource. Most of the sectors that have wharfs and shipyards have a conveniently all resources located nearby there is no inter sector trading for any faction.

So you have explored a 100+ hours and what have you found? I found couple wrecks and buggy data vaults and aquaduct. I also use other ships to explore and they never find anything nor do they mark anything. Nothing special or intesting.

No Space anomalies is right. You find one you just keep going through it and you will find all of them as they just keep porting you everywhere semi randomly. One single sector has danger in due to glowy rocks. Not sure what you even do with them. Is there Nebula? Nope, No weird Nebula sector with high concentration of gasses, bad visibility. Something would be nice. Maybe have a mini black hole or neutron star, weird effect like time dilation or abnormal gravity. I know space is big and in real life its mostly empty but again we are not playing real life.

You must be kidding right? No faction has a raid on another. I have yet to see this. They just build more stuff for no reason, to then abandon it so I can salvage and sell?. Sorry I have not seen one faction go and try and raid the other. In Fact its so non existent that a Faction at war with another shouldn't have any tradeships in its sector at all.

The trade is done through the map and it sucks a giant set of balls. Its kludgy, wall of text, UN-intuitive dogs breakfast.

Sectors that I refer to empty are sparsely sprinkled with couple stations and that is it.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 05:01

Wrench69 wrote:
Wed, 2. Jan 19, 03:11
I don't do this Micro Quoting.
That's totally fine, you can write any way you want. I do the micro-quoting thing sometimes to be super clear about which parts of what you wrote I'm responding to. Just so there's no confusion.
Strategically located as in to a specific resource. Most of the sectors that have wharfs and shipyards have a conveniently all resources located nearby
That is pretty strategic of them, isn't it, to locate shipyards etc near the resources required to run them? That's what I would do, if possible. What would be MORE strategic, from your point of view?

Even so, they don't manage to fit everything needed (a complete supply chain) into every sector, or even any one sector that I've seen in my game. So this other part of your statement
there is no inter sector trading for any faction.
also seems to be completely untrue in my experience.
So you have explored a 100+ hours and what have you found?
I have found a game that is fun to explore and which I expect to enjoy for another few hundred hours. Completely listing all the cool things I've seen and discovered in this game would take me longer than the actual playing did. I have no idea what kind of response you expect from me here.
I found couple wrecks and buggy data vaults and aquaduct.
Cool, so you did find some stuff! :) If you only found a couple yet, don't worry: I've found at least two and usually a half dozen cool things in pretty much every system/sector. (full disclosure: I get system and sector mixed up. I'm never sure which is which.)
I also use other ships to explore and they never find anything nor do they mark anything. Nothing special or intesting.
Oh, well that might be part of your problem. You see, first of all, as noted and discussed elsewhere in the forums, the auto-explore functionality is ... not working well yet. So I wouldn't depend on it under any circumstances. To find anything. Until they patch/improve it. (For historical purposes, version at time of this writing is 1.50).

But even more importantly, some random kestral you captured and sent off to explore for you isn't going to radio you to say any of the following things:

1) "Hey boss, the way this planet looks against the background nebula/starscape is super cool! Especially over here near the super highway entrance."
2) "Hey boss, I noticed these two packs of ships near me, they are both blue to us so no threat but they are fighting each other! I wonder if we should get involved?"
3) "Hey boss, I was flying through an asteroid field and saw this GLIMMER in the distance on the edge of one of the rocks, and I flew up to it and searched to see what it was. The asteroid was huge, and tumbling, and had all these craters and nooks and bumps and caves and things, and as I craned my neck upwards and used my strafe drive to slowly search every meter of the surface, I found it really disorienting but super cool (and a little bit scary) but then I FOUND IT! The GLIMMER! It was a beautiful purple crystal!"
4) "Hey boss, this area here where I'm flying, here where the map legend says is a mineral field? That's sorta true, but um.... it's not exactly made of asteroids. You should really come take a look."
No Space anomalies is right. You find one you just keep going through it and you will find all of them as they just keep porting you everywhere semi randomly.
Saying that there are none of something, and then saying that they are too easy to find, is either a riddle or just plain nonsense. If it's a riddle, I don't know the answer.
One single sector has danger in due to glowy rocks.
I presume you are talking about
Spoiler
Show
The Void
. There are other sectors with environmental hazards of other kinds.
Is there Nebula?
Yes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2E2JNTgPEesKaDNz5
Nope, No weird Nebula sector with high concentration of gasses, bad visibility.
I don't have a screenshot handy of that one, but yes that is in-game.
Something would be nice. Maybe have a mini black hole or neutron star,
To be clear, are you saying that what we have now is not "something"? Go ahead and pick one of the available system primary stars in the game now, and say it's boring. Go ahead. Now try to find another in-game system primary star that is the same as the boring one. They are all different and each unusual in its own ways. Have you actually LOOKED at this game? Or did you play the whole thing from the map, ordering scouts to explore?
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Wrench69
x4

Post by Wrench69 » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 05:34

Wow. Talk about a toxic reply. You dismissed every point with a quip without any for thought what so ever.

To be blunt because you obviously didn't understand.

The game is boring. There is not enough atmospheric content. No Characters, No story, No cool things to explore. Its just spaceships and stations.

If I wanted to look at 2d pictures of nebulas I would go to NASA website. Yeah skybox nebulas don't cut it for me.
https://cdn.spacetelescope.org/archives ... c1520a.jpg

If a game like Freespace 2 had flyable nebulas. I am sure this game could too.

I have no idea about your weird ramblings at the end. You just sound like you have been eating "hot dogs" all your life and I on the other hand want a "Steak" especially after spending money for the collectors edition. Don't want to wait years to actually get a complete game.

Is the "X" community into it self so much that any criticism is taken as a personal attack?

Do me a favour don't bother replying because everything that you say is just an excuse.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 06:16

You have my apologies if anything I said seemed rude or toxic to you. For what it's worth, I did not interpret anything you said as a personal attack and meant no offense. You made some reasonable sounding but factually incorrect complaints about the game, and my responses were merely attempts to help you see that your complaints were actually already addressed by the game and that maybe you could enjoy it more if you approached it in a different frame of mind.
- Delilah Shiratori

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 22:47

Wrench69 wrote:
I am already bored of the same. There is potential here but I am just bored to tears.

So you want even longer flight times? In some cases, when things are hundreds of kms apart, it takes minutes to get from one to another, not everything can be reached by using a highway, my travel boost is 14K though, good modified engine on Pegasus, until you get something like that, travel is adequately paced.

No Space exploration.
I read that some people tried to explore beyond the original hex, which made the hex to grow, and they found some interesting things. But for majority, yeah it's empty there.

There are short stories, which are more like tasks, so the PHQ one is a main 'story'.

There are hazards, but you need to explore more to find them and it's usually related to danger. The S class fighter won't survive in those for long.

Not advanced, no, but if you get enough reputation, factions will offer you some trade opportunity missions.

In relation to the previous point, and also this one, there is in fact wars between the faction. In order for those wars to start, you have to complete war effort missions that start small and end with an overall asault of one faction against another, which leads to a global war between 2, or more factions. Some missions are bugged though, so this is a wait until it's all fixed.

Don't get the second part, but there is a simple trade market window in map. It's called Trade filter. It show current demand and production, based on which you can form your trading strategies. I made hundreds of mils by using the Trade Filter, following the demand and manually queuing up my traders runs.

It was like that always in X games and will require a lot of extra development time as well as funding and human hours which Egosoft don't have.

This part needs a lot of tweaking still. Enemy ships are quite weak at this point. For more glorious battles, equip your capital ships with pulse/ion weapons.

Definitely! THe X4 has a good potential and hopefully in a few months it will already be better and more balanced for enjoyable Vanilla play. At this moment, the modded game is a way to go. The explosions are weak though, but I suspect that those are placeholders as many other things currently in game. And of course new DLCs that will come out a year apart, will have major size expacs with races, features, ships, missions, etc.

How do I fix the Michael Jackson effect? (constantly moving after I get out of the ship and sometimes my map keep scrolling)
Disconnect your controller, if you use XBox or some other analog controller. Also iv you have any kind of virtual controller setup.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Fri, 18. Jan 19, 23:28

Wrench69 wrote:

No Space exploration.

Things I wish this game had.
Map and the ability to make notes on it.
Ability to change colors on the legend.

You still have a lot to do appearantly....
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Sat, 19. Jan 19, 11:05

You're not wrong (this forum is full of X series die hards so not the best place to post complaints sadly, the subreddit is slightly better)

The game is a great foundation (cough) for a space game. A lot of features need fleshing out or are just currently broken (wars are broken, this is confirmed and is fixed with some mods). Give it a couple months/expansions/patches and this game will be the go to single player space game. For now, if you're feeling how you seem to feel just take a break and give the devs a chance to bring the game up to snuff.
-----
My Mods
Go Home Drone, Reaction Force, Disable Story, Pay The Builder, Landlord, Training Exercise
Github with the latest (Unstable) Versions
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

Dome1
x2

Post by Dome1 » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 15:07

Yeah, I think i'm gona have to go with ShiBDiB on this one.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Fri, 21. Jun 19, 17:08

totally agree that there is absolutely sod all to explore once you uncover the stations in a sector and do a few scans for data vaults thats it and move on. Dont even bother to fly a few 100km past the "boundary" . I really love how Egosoft were filling us full of hype for massive sectors, which indeed they are massive, but massively empty, dull and repetitive and for the current content its absolutely pointless. I consider my self as a die hard fan for every series until rebirth and then the x series died for me with that. I came back for X4 and sorely disappointed too. There is no soul to X4 like X3 even w/o DLC.

Hopefully they will add some story, yet I doubt it. Anomalies, there are if you scan and they send you to some sector, once at the new sector you can fly back through the "portal" you came out of and most probably endup in another sector with another portal. Diplomacy... dont think we ever had that tho, if its done CORRECTLY..rofl then it could bring in something that may last 10mins.

Wars, I have wars going on, PAR vs HOP, Argon vs HOP, ....everyone vs HOP and thats it.. So I helped out HOP vs PAR and if I can bring my self to look at the game from all the repetitive and absurdly tedious methods to manage fleets etc..I may just lock the PAR in 1 sector rofl.

Trade is absolutely dull in comparison to previous x series too. So far I have done 0 manual trade unlike previous x games, where I would even use a transporter of some sort. In X4 just play RNG to get a sector trader and allow it to do the worse types of trades possible or just set it up with specific wares next to a yard/wharf, rinse and repeat a few times in other faction sectors ...... boring..... and forget about them. 0 escorts too.

Planets.. the way things are currently ... lol no cant see that ever happening.

Battles are really piss poor in comparison to x3 with or w/o dlc

The game is just the basics of a space sim atm and probably stay like that.

ArboriusCZ
x3tc

Post by ArboriusCZ » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 19:50

1000 hours ingame and i agree ... no point to return to play. I beat Xenon sectors, get some money and the girl :). Maybe after few years ...
"Hope Dies Last, But It Dies..."

Mountain_Puncher
x3tc

Post by Mountain_Puncher » Tue, 9. Jul 19, 15:24

No you aren't missing anything. When can a game with logically contiguous skyboxes, interesting environments, diverse weapon, shield, and equipment selection, and persistent ships and wares come into existence? I think that is what we want right?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”