Station Designs (Build Plans & Screenshots)

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

Re: Station Designs (Build Plans & Screenshots)

Post by pref » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 01:55

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Sun, 10. Feb 19, 22:47
it is not even completed, and not just 1 minute, several minutes at a time - could be mistaken for a complete lock up but leave it long enough and it does seem to recover eventually.
Weird. I'm halfway through building, get some freezes - but a couple seconds only.
Maybe it matters how many other station modules you have, or don't know why the huge difference. Or maybe it grows exponentially with module count.
Or maybe it can grow several minutes if small quick to build modules are coming right after eachother in the build que and their delay overlaps.

I needed 61 L habs, judging from that i should get worse lags, but i never placed too many connector modules after each other except for a few cases - but those were at the beginning of the build when there were no freezes at all.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 07:52

pref wrote:
Sun, 10. Feb 19, 14:53
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 19:14
it is located in Nopileos Fortune above the elliptic and roughly centred relative to the gates/accelerators there.
I build mine at the same place, wish there was a xenon hub like sector to conquer which connects better to crowded areas - but nopileos is fine as well.

They look cool, more like fractals.
Have you got an actual screenie from the rendered version.

Think it comes down to good design principles and watching how the AI etc flow in/out of the station

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 11:11

You are artists.
My "Imperial Refinery", that has a single production module for each primary refined resource, is a messy (but functional) pile of bricks (that I won't show you for now - even if it might be a good laugh).
With a Paranid Administration Center, which gives me the property of Nopileos Fortune II.

Fame
x4

Post by Fame » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 11:58

Kudos to everyones "building plan" ... they do look Awesome !

Ps: SInce im poor and still trying to figure basic stuff out im not showing mine. They do look simple compared to what has been showed :)
Its a problem if you don´t have any problems.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 15:10

Yea the lag is why I switched to smaller stations. Eventually building more stations causes the same thing :lol: . Hopefully they fine tune things some more.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 23:28

And here it is, my super simple refinery in Nopileos Fortune II!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1653914076

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 01:47

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 23:28
Nice! simple and clean but functional.

A nice example of a mixed race complex - it looks like you are using Paranid modules for Habitation/Administration.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 08:54

Wed, 13. Feb 19, 01:47
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:

A nice example of a mixed race complex - it looks like you are using Paranid modules for Habitation/Administration.
Thank you :)
I'm using Paranid Administration and Argon habitation (3x medium sized, even if 2x medium +1x small host enough workforce) because those are the only ones I have at the moment.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 09:09

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 13. Feb 19, 08:54
Wed, 13. Feb 19, 01:47
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:

Thank you :)
I'm using Paranid Administration and Argon habitation (3x medium sized, even if 2x medium +1x small host enough workforce) because those are the only ones I have at the moment.
YVW :)

I mistook your Argon habitation tower chain for a Paranid module - stupid mistake on my part, I normally separate my habitation towers with connector modules so suffered perception error due to my assumptions. Paranid and Teladi habitation modules do not appear to be stackable by the way (unlike Argon habitation modules), but not got all the Teladi/Paranid habitation module plans yet. I do have a Teladi S Habitation module but that is it - a single end of stack mushroom module.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 13:36

shealladh wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 07:52
The build process is finished soon, i will make a thread for the screens.

But good news - fps in sector was 50-70 for me at about 50-60km from the station. The whole thing was in view, but from a distance it does not hurt performance at all it seems. There were about 10 prod modules and a couple M docks missing so i don't expect it to get much worse.

Surprised, i thought this would render the sector useless.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 13:58

pref wrote:
Wed, 13. Feb 19, 13:36
shealladh wrote:

But good news - fps in sector was 50-70 for me at about 50-60km from the station. The whole thing was in view, but from a distance it does not hurt performance at all it seems. There were about 10 prod modules and a couple M docks missing so i don't expect it to get much worse.

Perhaps the real issues begin when civilian traffic is rendered. Just my assumption, though.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 21:18

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 13. Feb 19, 13:58
pref wrote:
shealladh wrote:

Perhaps the real issues begin when civilian traffic is rendered. Just my assumption, though.
There were known performance issues relating to civilian traffic and X-Rebirth, it would not be surprising if that was also at least part of the issue.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 08:56

Wed, 13. Feb 19, 21:18
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
pref wrote:

There were known performance issues relating to civilian traffic and X-Rebirth, it would not be surprising if that was also at least part of the issue.
It's nice to see civilians, but it's problematic for performance.
One "slider" I'd like in game settings is to lower civilian traffic, that is the only "useless" thing for the game economy. Nice for immersion, but not "really needed" for gameplay.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 09:12

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 08:56
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:

One "slider" I'd like in game settings is to lower civilian traffic, that is the only "useless" thing for the game economy. Nice for immersion, but not "really needed" for gameplay.
I believe the civilian traffic is not as useless as you are implying, if I am not mistaken while they may not directly transport wares but I gather their flow does have an effect on station performance and the economy.

That being said, there was at least one mod for X-Rebirth that allowed reconfiguration of mass traffic. Given X4 is using the same engine, it could probably be adapted for X4.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 09:34

Thu, 14. Feb 19, 09:12
I believe the civilian traffic is not as useless as you are implying, if I am not mistaken while they may not directly transport wares but I gather their flow does have an effect on station performance and the economy.
Really? I didn't know that. I assumed traffic was just "visual".
That being said, there was at least one mod for X-Rebirth that allowed reconfiguration of mass traffic. Given X4 is using the same engine, it could probably be adapted for X4.
I don't want to mod it yet and, at the moment, I rarely experience performance issues even with my medieval machine. Egosoft did a great job on optimization, imho.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 10:49

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 08:56

Ahh that brings back memories. The stardust in XR was especially thick considering all you wanted to do was view the gorgeous backgrounds of many zones. A gajillion police patrols if you hovered around a station with those lights and sounds every two seconds.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 21:32

Just a quick update, I have started to maintain an index in the OP and as people add their contributions to this thread I will add their links to the OP.

Should we go beyond the limits of a single post I will link to a continuance index later in this thread. :)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 22:00

Thanks for starting and managing this thread. It's very interesting to see what other people came up with.

I'll add pics of my little claytronics complex when time permits.
While not the biggest station ever, I'm quite happy with the design.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:16

shealladh wrote:
Finally work allowed me to finish the thing, you can take a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=414133

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:19

Fri, 15. Feb 19, 21:32
Just a quick update, I have started to maintain an index in the OP and as people add their contributions to this thread I will add their links to the OP.

Should we go beyond the limits of a single post I will link to a continuance index later in this thread. :)
Thanks for the work you put into this, hope many more designs will be added soon.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”