I wonder...

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

I wonder...

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 9. Mar 19, 20:56

Is it accurate? Will it crash? What'll do to my map? :)

Olfrygt

Re: I wonder...

Post by Olfrygt » Sat, 9. Mar 19, 22:05

Just, DO IT!

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!

jenkins :mrgreen:

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 9. Mar 19, 22:09

I'm planning to. Just gotta get me that 8km/s ship first :D

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 00:02

Which is it?

The fastest i know is a pegasus with T1 upgrades. should be arround 800m/s without SETA. Or u mean a travelmode ship with over 9km/s?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 00:28

I think it's the Pegasus Vanguard. Of course travel mode, I'm not masochistic :D Would probably overtune that as well. If I can get it around 10km/s, the trip should only take about half an hour. If that distance display isn't lying, that is.

Loneshade
x4

Post by Loneshade » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 00:44

:gruebel: Hmm, I don't think that works.
I didn't try target anything, but my fastest ship goes 957m/s, with a travel speed of 16269.... so I took it on a ride, watched it a while and then left it on while being away.

It crossed the whole map with it... went outside of the map area, went outside of my screen area.... so it shows you crossing over to other sectors, but nope... it didnt' actually enter another. It was still showing on the map as being in the sector it started. Gotta try again with a station or something targeted, but i'd expect the counter reaching 0 without you seeing anything there. Let me know if i'm wrong though - and have fun on your trip :D

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 09:23

Loneshade wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 00:44
:gruebel: Hmm, I don't think that works.
I didn't try target anything, but my fastest ship goes 957m/s, with a travel speed of 16269.... so I took it on a ride, watched it a while and then left it on while being away.

It crossed the whole map with it... went outside of the map area, went outside of my screen area.... so it shows you crossing over to other sectors, but nope... it didnt' actually enter another. It was still showing on the map as being in the sector it started. Gotta try again with a station or something targeted, but i'd expect the counter reaching 0 without you seeing anything there. Let me know if i'm wrong though - and have fun on your trip :D
I think u can only travel between sectors within the same system. The distance shown here is just..engine/server based?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 11:18

Well, Loneshade was correct:

No Holy Vision for me, it seems. But I'll try again with Grand Exchange :)

Loneshade
x4

Post by Loneshade » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 12:54

:+1: thanks for testing it!

Imho it would be fun if you could eventually travel from one sector to another manually as well (even if the distances would be even bigger)
Nothing of real value gameplay wise, but "immersion", you know :D

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 13:55

Loneshade wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 12:54
;)
I just came back from testing in Grand Exchange. Same deal, arriving at a destination, but no sector there. I did find some asteroids though.
So I guess the game only loads the destination if you actually traverse the relevant portal.
Also, when my ship icon went off-sector, a black spot started crawling on the map of my departure sector. It didn't reveal anything, just kept crawling through the fog of war. Probably some coordinate wrapping glitch.
Imho it would be fun if you could eventually travel from one sector to another manually as well (even if the distances would be even bigger)
Yeah, in Rebirth it was possible to manually travel in-system, foregoing the super-highways (but I don't think it was possible to fly between gates, and even if it were, would probably take forever). Be cool if it was possible in X4 too. But only if they made sector display permanently adjustable :D

Loneshade
x4

Post by Loneshade » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:07

I guess what would be needed is to teleport you once you exceed a certain distance from center.... but there's some side effects - e.g. what if there's no other sector in the direction you travel? would you hit invisible walls then? not that great either. (though it might be fun if there's at least one hidden sector on the map, that you could only reach "on foot" that way hehe)

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:10

Yeah, like hidden rooms in some games that you're not supposed to reach by normal means, having "You shouldn't be here" written all over the place. :D

Loneshade
x4

Post by Loneshade » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:22

lol

was more thinking of like... a sector with an asteroid field containing a ship wreck to claim and restore that you can't get otherwise, or no idea, a place with extremely rich nividium resources or somesuch.... so worthwhile to establish a base in, if you don't mind your freighters traveling 8 hours real time to the closest jumpgate :P

but yeah, imagine the fun having a destroyer battle in a room like you described haha

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:26

...and then, just at the climax of battle, a kraken warps in, swallows all fleets and burps: "You REALLY shouldn't be here!".

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:58

radcapricorn wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:26
...and then, just at the climax of battle, a kraken warps in, swallows all fleets and burps: "You REALLY shouldn't be here!".
the boron kraken, or the japanese hentai kraken? :gruebel: .

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 10. Mar 19, 15:09

Yes.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 11. Mar 19, 10:32

Olfrygt wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:58
radcapricorn wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 14:26
the boron kraken, or the japanese hentai kraken? :gruebel: .
Both.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 12. Mar 19, 13:18

That makes for a long trip... I hope your co-pilot knows the doom song, otherwise it might get boring.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Tue, 12. Mar 19, 20:07

Loneshade wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 12:54
Lore-wise two connected gates don't neccessarily have to be close to eachother. In X:Rebirth the sectors were placed all over the galaxy, with one gate warping you from one side of the milky way to the other side.
So to stay true with the lore, if flying from one sector to another without using a gate should be possible Egosoft would have to model the entire galaxy or, if gates connect between galaxies, the entire universe.
radcapricorn wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 19, 13:55
Yeah, in Rebirth it was possible to manually travel in-system, foregoing the super-highways (but I don't think it was possible to fly between gates, and even if it were, would probably take forever). Be cool if it was possible in X4 too. But only if they made sector display permanently adjustable :D
No, it was not possible in X:Rebirth to avoid the super-highways. The super-highway exits in X:Rebirth are essentially the trigger to load the zone/sector you arrived at.
I've tried it in X:Rebirth : I flew in Devries manually without the superhighway from Barren Heat to Glaring Truth and while the map indicated that i was at the correct position AND the surrounding planets and the sun looked like as if i was in GlaringTruth i couldn't see any stations or ships.

I haven't tried it in X4 yet, but i imagine it would be a similar result.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 12. Mar 19, 20:13

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Tue, 12. Mar 19, 20:07
No, it was not possible in X:Rebirth to avoid the super-highways.
Really? Hmm... I remember reading it was. Or maybe it was a mod?.. Thanks for correction.
I haven't tried it in X4 yet, but i imagine it would be a similar result.
Yeah, it is. As I posted above, I tested in Great Exchange, no dice.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”