The Experiment - What am I missing?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

daviddowner
x3

The Experiment - What am I missing?

Post by daviddowner » Mon, 16. Sep 19, 00:14

I paused the main mission to do some exploring for a while, but just came back to the storyline and am wondering if I messed something up with "The Experiment" by doing so. I can hone in on the anomaly but I can't for the life of me get my ship with the 3 items to fly close enough to it to trigger the next part of the story.

I'm hoping it's something really simple that I'm overlooking? Is this slightly bugged, or is there a trick to getting past this?

Thx
o7

Gavrushka
x4

Re: The Experiment - What am I missing?

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 16. Sep 19, 10:07

I think you need a second ship to fly to the place indicated, not the player ship.

And I remember my mistake was also to put an antimatter converter rather than an antimatter cell in the second ship on the 1st attempt.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

daviddowner
x3

Post by daviddowner » Tue, 17. Sep 19, 01:59

Yeah, I bought a cheap 2nd ship, put a noob captain in it, and the 3 cells. I have scanned down the anomaly, dropped a nav beacon & named it, and multiple times ordered the noob captain to fly the ship there which leads to my original post :/

Maybe I should just make a new start and do the 'storyline' uninterrupted :(

<edit> And BTW, when I set this mission to active mission, there is no longer any type of marker. Shouldn't it highlight the area to park the ship?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 17. Sep 19, 08:21

AH, understood. - I do remember issues seeing the sphere on the map... - (It is a sphere, not a resource marker/nav. satellite,) and it's in a different place to where I'd put the beacon (a few kilometres away as I remember.) - I think I had to guide the ship to the location from the map (there's a huge hitbox for it to fly into) *BUT* if you're already doing that there is the chance something went wrong. - Like you, I didn't do the mission immediately, so I don't imagine that should cause any problems.

And, like you, I do remember being frustrated by this issue for several gaming sessions! - I'm just wondering if there's a YouTube video with a walkthrough, but I'd hope someone with a more definitive answer picks up on this post and is a little more helpful.

Best of luck!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 17. Sep 19, 10:44

You don't use the anomaly for sacrificing the ship, just a point in space nearby. There should, indeed, be a guidance marker telling you where to place the ship. If you switched guidance on/off and it doesn't appear, try quitting/reloading the game. There's an elusive issue in the game where guidance stops working properly, which seems to only affect a small portion of players. Although, normally it only affects the display of guidance lines, not markers themselves.

daviddowner
x3

Post by daviddowner » Tue, 17. Sep 19, 20:19

That did it, thank you. Finally past this. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”