Scan ship containing supercoolant fluid

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dblade
x3tc

Scan ship containing supercoolant fluid

Post by dblade » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 02:48

i have a PAR faction quest vs HOP mission called Gather Intel and one subtask is to Scan ship containing supercoolant fluid. I have one ship scouting Pontifex's Claim, True Sight and Holy vision hoping there's a Supercoolant factory to be discovered. I'm also scanning random ships. I've been at this a few hours now with 0 luck. Anyone have any hints? An outright answer on how to get this task done is ok too . . . .

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Scan ship containing supercoolant fluid

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 04:34

The mission is to scan any ship with supercoolant fluid, and not belonging to a specific faction. It can be a PAR, TEL, ARG, ANT or HOP ship.

The "cheat" solution to this mission is to buy 1 unit of supercoolant fluid. Find an empty L container ship and drop it in front of the container ship using a S or M ship. When the L container ship has picked it up, scan the L container ship to instantly complete the mission. It is recommended to save before pulling this move off in case something goes wrong. One might not be able to rescan ships that have already be scanned, so make sure to perform it to a new or not previously scanned ship (this may have been fixed, not sure).

The "cheese" solution to this mission is to be at high reputation (30) with many factions that transport supercoolant fluid. When at high reputation one can see the details of the faction's ships without scanning them. One can then use map view to search for a ship of theirs holding suprecooland fluid. Once such a ship is found one just needs to fly to it personally and scan it to complete the mission.

The likely "intended" way is to find a factory that produces supercoolant fluid and camp on/nearby it. When nearby one can use trade software to see the current storage levels and if it does not also consume supercoolant fluid then it will have put the entire storage as trade offers. If the trader offers are less than the storage level then an NPC ship is on route to pick some up at the station. One just has to wait and scan all ships undocking (after trade) from the station.

What one should not be doing is blindly scanning ships with the hope that one will have the desired wares. One can be doing this for a very long time and still not complete the mission.

dblade
x3tc

Post by dblade » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 05:29

Thanks for the response. I'm annoyed as hell w/this kinda jank.

Side note, I have no desire to cheat and cheese. will shelve the game before that.
Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 27. Jan 20, 04:34
The mission is to scan any ship with supercoolant fluid, and not belonging to a specific faction. It can be a PAR, TEL, ARG, ANT or HOP ship.
yet its a paranid vs hop quest, logically I want to scan HOP. As always the mssion details still lack *details* and its an exercise in frustration trying to piece together what Ego Devs really want u to do. Seems like more "Think" needs to be put into the quests.
Imperial Good wrote:
The likely "intended" way is to find a factory that produces supercoolant fluid and camp on/nearby it. When nearby one can use trade software to see the current storage levels and if it does not also consume supercoolant fluid then it will have put the entire storage as trade offers. If the trader offers are less than the storage level then an NPC ship is on route to pick some up at the station. One just has to wait and scan all ships undocking (after trade) from the station.
yep just explored at least 7 HOP occupied sectors and no such Factory. maybe my luck stems back to the thing where quest context is HOP so it should probably be realated to HOP.
Imperial Good wrote:
What one should not be doing is blindly scanning ships with the hope that one will have the desired wares. One can be doing this for a very long time and still not complete the mission.
Herein lies the truth to *Think* part when it comes to X series. "Think" around the jankiness or evently succumb to cheat and cheese.

I'm still waiting on those touted mission improvements.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 17:00

dblade wrote:
Mon, 27. Jan 20, 05:29
yet its a paranid vs hop quest, logically I want to scan HOP. As always the mssion details still lack *details* and its an exercise in frustration trying to piece together what Ego Devs really want u to do. Seems like more "Think" needs to be put into the quests.
If one reads carefully, no where do they mention HOP having to be the owner.
dblade wrote:
yep just explored at least 7 HOP occupied sectors and no such Factory. maybe my luck stems back to the thing where quest context is HOP so it should probably be realated to HOP.
As I mentioned, it has nothing to do with HOP alone. Although HOP probably does own such a factory.

Lore wise they are meant to be interested in checking supplies, possibly checking for HOP tampering with their supplies. It is not a mission to check if HOP is producing superfluid coolant since they obviously are.

HOP will own a superfluid coolant factory. If they did not, then their economy would grind to a halt and ANT, PAR and XEN would have them wiped out in no time. Either you have not found the one or more factories of theirs or the factories have been destroyed and HOP is in the process of rebuilding them. Be aware the factory might not be called "Supercoolant Fluid" in its name since they might have added other modules causing it to become a generic name. One needs to use map view to search for trade offers either to buy the raw materials for Supercoolant Fluid or to sell the ware itself.
dblade wrote:
Herein lies the truth to *Think* part when it comes to X series. "Think" around the jankiness or evently succumb to cheat and cheese.
The missions pay so little it matters not anyway. The waste of the player's time even when cheating justifies the reward.

Havocsquad
x4

Post by Havocsquad » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 23:49

Unless you need those missions for reputation building, hiring your own miners in safe sectors, accepting constructing stations missions if you have the technologies, and hunting down Xenon in hotspots where factions pay bounties earns much better.

This is assuming you do not have any profitable factories constructed. Advanced Electronics and Claytronics are the two big money makers IF you own your own supply chain and deliver in bulk using large trade ships.

Once you reach 325 million credits with a complete logistics supply network functioning, buy the Wharf blueprints and buy blueprints of whatever friendly faction that buys the most for top dollar and the ship gear blueprints they need.

After that wharf is done and you got all needed blueprints, watch it print money on a regular basis in your wharf station account.

As long as your internal supply chain keeps shipbuilding well stocked, it is 100% profits.

Since I am friends with all but SCA and the usual trouble makers, I buy HOP small and medium warship blueprints.

HOP pays top dollar making their ships when they in the buying mood.

dblade
x3tc

Post by dblade » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 00:27

just wanted the rep, anything extra is bonus

dblade
x3tc

Post by dblade » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 02:03

@Imperial Good I appreciate the constructive feedback.

I've added a link to a screenshot showing the quest.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 130AC691C/

How do you interpret this text --> "we need you to find and scan Heretic Order ships carrying carry Superfluid Coolant"

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 08:13

dblade wrote:
Mon, 27. Jan 20, 02:48
Anyone have any hints?
One of the solutions found on these forums is to buy a scout ship (the cheapest one), tell it to buy 1 unit of the needed ware, place it in the needed sector, sell the ship to any other faction and immediately scan it (it would still have that 1 unit of the ware).

Simple! :)

Henry3G
x4

Post by Henry3G » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 20:10

I found a helium refinery in the southwest of Pontifexs claim

haimeexu
x4

Post by haimeexu » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 14:08

I know, bad things happen to people resurrecting old threads...

Just wanted to present a new solution for the problem:
* Buy one unit of the stuff you need to scan
* Undock
* Put on your space suit
* Scan your own ship (ctrl-2, ctrl-f)
* Profitsss
:lol:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”