[Odysseus Destroyer] get it free but do not scratch it!

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

szafran
x2

[Odysseus Destroyer] get it free but do not scratch it!

Post by szafran » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 23:41

Hello everyone.
I found this famous abandoned destroyer in Faulty Logic, but it seems that methods described in YT videos don't work. I mean, sending marine still works but I prefer non-destructive method, so I drop EMP bomb on a surface, scan four signals and nothing particular happens. Using repair laser doesn't work either, signals just disappear. Looks like something has been changed/patched.
Again: scanning signals works but nothing happens, ship is still neutral. "Repairing" signals doesn't work at all.

Does non-destructive method of claiming this ship still exist? :gruebel:

[side note: I realized that in German version of the game Destroyer is Angreifer, not Zerstörer, which explains its role a bit better, military wise]
szafranopedia v.0.2
nieoficjalna encyklopedia świata X2
statystyki statków, uzbrojenie, rangi
http://szafran.civ.pl/szafranopedia/

LameFox
x4

Re: [Odysseus Destroyer] get it free but do not scratch it!

Post by LameFox » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 00:40

Isn't Angreifer the ship's variant? e.g. Vanguard as opposed to Sentinel?

Anyway you can only take large ships with marines now, even empty ones. There are mods that remove the annoying destruction of equipment, which I recommend as otherwise there's not much reason to capture them. I remember once I got that neutral ship in vanilla and it had no main guns, so it was pointless to have found it until I had the rep to buy the guns... and by then I can just purchase a destroyer. All the bother of flying it past the Xenon and minefield, for that, lol. They don't even sell for much.
***modified***

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:08

LameFox wrote:
Wed, 14. Oct 20, 00:40

Anyway you can only take large ships with marines now, even empty ones. There are mods that remove the annoying destruction of equipment, which I recommend as otherwise there's not much reason to capture them. I remember once I got that neutral ship in vanilla and it had no main guns, so it was pointless to have found it until I had the rep to buy the guns... and by then I can just purchase a destroyer. All the bother of flying it past the Xenon and minefield, for that, lol. They don't even sell for much.
Taking ships with marines only applies to L/XL.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:12

Huh? The destroyer is an L ship unless the game's shipyards have been lying to me.
***modified***

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:18

szafran wrote:
Tue, 13. Oct 20, 23:41
Hello everyone.
I found this famous abandoned destroyer in Faulty Logic, but it seems that methods described in YT videos don't work. I mean, sending marine still works but I prefer non-destructive method, so I drop EMP bomb on a surface, scan four signals and nothing particular happens. Using repair laser doesn't work either, signals just disappear. Looks like something has been changed/patched.
Again: scanning signals works but nothing happens, ship is still neutral. "Repairing" signals doesn't work at all.

[side note: I realized that in German version of the game Destroyer is Angreifer, not Zerstörer, which explains its role a bit better, military wise]
If you don't want to use the mod, when you ready to claim the destroyer, do it with an M size frigate with 1 marine and full crew of engineers. Docked on the frigate have a Magpie with full engineers crew. Transfer your best engineers to them.

When you get the ship, dock your frigate. Transfer crew to it. Do the same with the magpie.
Now if you want, bring more frigates with engineers, as depending where the XEN defense platform is spawned, if is close on the gate something slower like a freighter might get destroyed.
Fill up the 47 crew with engineers and promote the marine to pilot. Wait for the engineers repair the ship and head back.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:20

LameFox wrote:
Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:12
Huh? The destroyer is an L ship unless the game's shipyards have been lying to me.
Did I said something else? You implied all abandoned ships need marines to be captured. But thats not the case for M/S ships.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:24

I said you can only take large ships with marines now, even if the ship is empty. Not sure where you're getting all ships from.
***modified***

szafran
x2

Post by szafran » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 02:06

LameFox wrote:
Possible, I have to check it again.
LameFox wrote:
Thanks for the answer, it's clear now. And avoiding the minefield is no problem as this thing has a staggering 5k speed in travel mode, and that old trick of changing direction in travel mode with flight assist on/off still works on capital ships, which is a bit surprising, but I fully accept it.
Fly off ecliptic plane, a bit steering and changing position, hit the gate, over. (going through gate in a capital ship at 5k speed requires some attention)
szafranopedia v.0.2

Elvis Aphtee
x4

Post by Elvis Aphtee » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 09:23

Panos wrote:
Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:18
szafran wrote:
Hello everyone.

If you don't want to use the mod, when you ready to claim the destroyer, do it with an M size frigate with 1 marine and full crew of engineers. Docked on the frigate have a Magpie with full engineers crew. Transfer your best engineers to them.

When you get the ship, dock your frigate. Transfer crew to it. Do the same with the magpie.
Now if you want, bring more frigates with engineers, as depending where the XEN defense platform is spawned, if is close on the gate something slower like a freighter might get destroyed.
Fill up the 47 crew with engineers and promote the marine to pilot. Wait for the engineers repair the ship and head back.
If only I'd known this when I claimed it!

Instead, I claimed it, had one engineer with me and due to damage and the presence of an I and a few Ps right by the accelerator had to fly 'south' around the minefield.

This incurred more damage, including permanently losing all my shields and damaging the travel drive. I waited surrounded by mines for these to be repaired a bit hoping that a pack of Ns or Ms wouldn't find me and destroy the ship, then lined up the ship, which at that stage was almost at the bottom of the map, with the accelerator, engaging travel drive and hoping that the I wasn't blocking the entry to the accelerator and that it wouldn't snag me with a lucky shot. Thankfully I got through OK and now the Oddy is a part of my nascent Nopileos Forture defence fleet.

It was an arseache but very rewarding when I finally got out of there.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 09:38

To prevent massive modul destruction, take your best Marine.(+2*, best places to buy ANT Tradestation, any Defensstation)
After it is yours, teleport or fly Out of sector, and switch Marine to Captain and let him manouver through the mines to a shipyard-no Mine will scratch your Odysseus.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 11:00

Jolly good that nobody reveals any spoilers here, while the Spoilers Forum is still in use. :evil:

That said, the current Transfer crew implementation does not care whether the two ships are docked to each other or in the opposite ends of the X Universe. In other words, what Panos did describe is a hard way.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

szafran
x2

Post by szafran » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 11:09

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 14. Oct 20, 11:00
Jolly good that nobody reveals any spoilers here, while the Spoilers Forum is still in use. :evil:
[cut]
I'm very sorry, didn't realize it was a spoiler. Maybe Moderator could move this thread if it is so. < Done. Alan Phipps>
szafranopedia v.0.2

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 09:01

szafran wrote:
Does non-destructive method of claiming this ship still exist?
Yes such a method still does exist. Send a 5 star marine to claim the ship. 5 star marines break as good as nothing when claiming.

The more skilled the marine is, the less gets broken.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 10:23

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 09:01
Send a 5 star marine to claim the ship.
Obvious solution, but includes a different question: How does one feed stars to marines efficiently?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 22:44

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 10:23
Obvious solution, but includes a different question: How does one feed stars to marines efficiently?
3 star marines can be brought off most NPC platforms and cost a few hundred thousand each. Training them by boarding ships can get them to 4 stars fairly easily. Beyond that is difficult but at 4 stars they should already leave most of the ship intact.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”