Station build mission question.

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kor'ah
x4

Station build mission question.

Post by Kor'ah » Sun, 25. Oct 20, 16:58

Simple one, does the plot size have to be exactly what's called for in the mission briefing to complete correctly? I ask this because I got a mission calling for a 3x2x3 plot and you can't create one of that size. I would rather not spend the time, money and resources on a station in a bad location.

Also, when is calls for a Dock does it mean a S/M dock or a pier? These vague mission briefings are a real sore spot for in this game.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Solomon Short
x4

Re: Station build mission question.

Post by Solomon Short » Sun, 25. Oct 20, 17:37

Pretty sure it has to be at least each of the specified dimensions, so 4x4x4 should be fine (& not cost too much), as long as most of it is in the specified volume-sphere.

Actually, 3x2x3 is very easy to achieve:
  • X+ = 2,X- = 1,Y+ = 1,Y- = 1,Z+ = 1,Z- = 2.
  • X+ = 3,X- = 0,Y+ = 2,Y- = 0,Z+ = 3,Z- = 0.
  • (Or anything else where each pair adds up 3, 2, & 3
(Edit:) The Dock requirement can be met with just the Basic 1M6S BP you start with, I would assume a Pier would say "Pier" & have not actually tried substituting a "Pier" for a "Dock" yet.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 25. Oct 20, 18:46

Kor'ah wrote:
Sun, 25. Oct 20, 16:58
I got a mission calling for a 3x2x3 plot and you can't create one of that size.
Can't? Sure you can. Isn't the minimum 1x1x1?

To answer question: Exact is not required. At least is.
So: minimum 3km in X, minimum 2km in Y, minimum 3km in Z.

Mere S/M Dock has been accepted, so that is definitely sufficient. However, if you build a Factory for NPC and then end up trading with it, limiting your access to S/M might not be convenient. Been there, done that, still hurts.

I have build Pier before S/M Dock, but cannot remember whether Dock was after other requirements, and thus state whether the transfer occurred once Pier+other was complete, or did it wait for the Dock.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sun, 25. Oct 20, 19:43

Turns out the mission can accept the default 4x4x4 plot so I guess the stated plot size is the minimum and it can go over just fine. It was in a SCA sector so I'm not losing any money on the deal. Now I need to get back in game and delete that T Pier to milk more money off the contract.

The mercenary code

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 25. Oct 20, 22:46

Kor'ah wrote:
Sun, 25. Oct 20, 19:43
Now I need to get back in game and delete that T Pier to milk more money off the contract.
Not so hasty! :teladi:

The Station transfers to NPC ownership the moment all required modules are ready.
If there are additional modules in the plan, then the new owner will fund them.

Therefore, the plan for "best" profits is this:
1. Put the requested modules to the top of the list
2. Do not give money for the build, but haul just enough cheap resources to finish the requested part
3. Once the ownership changes, the NPC will offer credits for the rest of resources

That way there will be no extra costs for the modules. On the contrary, they are a profit opportunity.

Plan B:
1. Have only the requested parts in the plan
2. Build "normally" almost to the end
3. Seconds before completion add the additional modules to the plan
4. Sell resources with good profit

KaijuAKD

Post by KaijuAKD » Mon, 26. Oct 20, 01:23

It's a good idea to have both dock and pier so all your ships can trade with it. The requirements are minimum, meaning you can build a huge mega factory but it only will transfer to the other faction when the last required module is finished. If a faction is nearly wiped out and had lost wharf, shipyard and repair dock, meaning you lost access to the representative, you can pick one of those missions, place a shipyard in the planned build but leaving the production module at the end of the building project. When the last module is done, the shipyard will transfer and automatically become the faction' representative office

Also, you can make the faction build a lot of extra modules at no cost. Make the basic station the mission asks, wait it gets all the necessary wares, and when the last module starts to be being built, retire all unused credits, add all the modules you want and confirm the changes. When the required module is finished, the station will transfer to the other faction, but it will continue building those extra modules. I use this when I'm producing more wares than I can sell, to I make another faction build a module that requires it, gaining more demand of that ware

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 28. Oct 20, 18:29

Thanks for the info guys. I used it to trick the ARG into building a death star defense platform to munch HOP fleets...if they get it finished before the next attack happens that is.

The mercenary code

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 28. Oct 20, 19:45

Kor'ah wrote:
Wed, 28. Oct 20, 18:29
I used it to trick the ARG into building a death star defense platform to munch HOP fleets...if they get it finished before the next attack happens that is.
If you are not an enemy of HOP and are willing to donate to ARG, then build suitable amount of defense modules on your expense, before the ownership transfers. That way the "battlestation is functional" before it becomes valid target for HOP and not a complete push-over.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 28. Oct 20, 20:18

Unless of course I'm the one manufacturing the components needed to install the 224 L Plasma turrets. Afterwards the HOP will need stuff to rebuild their fleets and guess who steps in to handle that. :mrgreen:

The mercenary code

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”