[FEEDBACK] Tutorials

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Falcrack
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Tutorials

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 16:43

The "Object Deployment" tutorial is listed before the "Mining Orders" tutorial. Yet the "Mining Orders" tutorial requires the player to deploy a resource probe, and that may be confusing to the new player unless they have already learned how to deploy resource probes. The mining tutorial does not explain how to do this, it just asks the player to do it.

DizzieDawgie
x4

Post by DizzieDawgie » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 16:45

Docking Tutorial: The docking guides only appear in 1st person/cockpit mode, but not in 3rd person view from behind the ship. Mention should probably be made in the tutorial that if you don't see the docking guides, you might need to switch back to 1st person mode.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 16:46

My recommendation for my above comment would be to simply move the "Object Deployment" tutorial above the "Mining Orders" tutorial is the tutorials list.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 17:19

In the Combat Scenario, I've reached a point where the mission description is to "Defend", and the K is essentially invulnerable (hull at 70%), it's turrets and engines are destroyed, but the mission is not progressing. Here is a save file. demonstrating the issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eiY65M ... sp=sharing

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 17:46

There are no tutorials on station design, management, or logistics. This seems like a pretty significant omission.

DizzieDawgie
x4

Post by DizzieDawgie » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 17:53

Spacesuit Tutorial: Another person mentioned this earlier in the thread, but more specifically it would be good to move the space ship farther from the wreck, so when exiting the wreck at full speed, you still have time to hear about the boost and still have distance to actually use it.

Aleksey1966
x4

Post by Aleksey1966 » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 18:29

It is necessary to add the ability to skip training,

Woode

Post by Woode » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 20:48

Tutorial : Combat

First time though the tutorial, I kept pressing shift-E to select the closest target. It seems that infinite targets were being generated. After about 10 minutes I gave up. I restarted the tutorial and concentrated on the original 4 targets. This is apparently what is meant to be done. Why are all the other targets spawning? It just confused me totally.

I am brand new to X4 and so I am sure I'm doing things wrong. But the tutorial are supposed to be meant for me.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 00:56

Special Tutorial: Combat Scenario

I tried to complete the last tutorial mission. I was ordered to destroy the turrets of the Xenon K and after I completed that task, the mission switched to "defend". No clue what. The Xenon K has no more turrets, shields or engine and the hull is stuck at 70%. Xenon N keep spawning and get obliterated. It's been that way for at least 30min. Restarted the tutorial a few times but I always end up stuck at this point. It's either a bug or I must be missing something.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

elw00d
x4

Re: [7.00 Beta 1] Travel mode tutorial bug

Post by elw00d » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 05:00

Title:
"Travel Mode tutorial (re-engaging travel mode) may appear to be broken (the option remains grayed out) if you don't strafe adequately ??? before attempting to re-enable travel mode

X4 build:
7.0 BETA 1 (528286)

Description:
As part of the travel mode tutorial you are guided through engaging travel mode, then, after reaching speed you are asked to stop travel mode. You are also told that strafing will also stop travel mode and to try strafing now .... after a few moments you are asked to once again re-engage travel mode but the option for "travel mode" might remain grayed out. I believe this occurs if you haven't strafed "adequately" or "appropriately" for the tutorial to acknowledge this step has been completed. As a new player ... I'm either missing something or the tutorial isn't spelling something out well enough for me.

I thought the tutorial was broken. I have no idea how to fly ... I'm only a few hours into playing X4 (mostly trying out the controls). I did *somehow* get past this issue in the tutorial by doing barrel rolls (BY PRESSING "E") somehow when i was fiddling with turning off and on flight assist SHIFT - SPACE and CTRL - SPACE. I have no idea though of how i did it though. I tried to do the tutorial a few more times, and I'm having the issue of not getting the option of travel mode again.

Steps to duplicate:
Pretend you've never played X4 and have no knowledge of the game/keyboard controls and you are merely following the instructions in the travel mode tutorial. After disengaging travel mode ... it might not be readily apparent what the tutorial wants from you in order to allow you to re-engage travel mode. (as a new player, it wasn't for me)

You get to a point where you engage travel mode, easy enough, get up to speed - also easy , disengage travel mode (easy) and then after a few moments you are told to try strafing to also drop out of travel mode. ??? So you might press AWSD but that's not enough. you'll never be allowed to select travel mode again since it will remain greyed out in the menu. The issue of why this is happening isn't readily apparent.

Possible Fix:
Something needs to be spelled out in greater detail during the tutorial and/or process steps and their completion need to be called out better

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 02:56

Highways and gates:

In the superhighway section, flying into the exit lane instead of the entry lane results in the tutorial dialogue proceeding to the next section, despite the player still being in the superhighway section.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 03:10

Map:

For buttons at the edge of the screen, especially small ones such as the help overlay button, I recommend an additional visual cue to draw the player's eye from the center of the screen to the edge. This can be something like a line or arrow starting from the center of screen and pointing towards the button.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Createse
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Travel Mode Tutorial

Post by Createse » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 21:42

Createse wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 24, 21:23
I am experiencing an issue with the Travel Mode tutorial. Where you drop out of travel for the time.
When this occurs and I cannot re-engage fast travel. I cannot increase or decrease my speed either.
I can complete the following strafing instruction but not the subsquent "Active travel mode" instruction.
Travel mode is greyed-out in the menu.

Note: I've replayed the travel mode tutorial, but this time I followed every instruction only and did not do anything in between (like dropping out of travel mode before I was asked too).
This fixed the issue because every trigger was activated but the issue remains.

WhiteXTC
x4

(7.0) Tutorial is not working(Cruise mode)

Post by WhiteXTC » Thu, 11. Apr 24, 06:33

The cruise mode training is broken. When you are asked to start the cruise mode again, the ship stops responding to commands altogether, only strafe and mouse movements work, the speed of the ship is no longer regulated, and it is also impossible to enter the cruise mode. PS In the previous version the lesson worked fine

hello_world

Post by hello_world » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 00:17

(In Beta 1)

Travel Mode

At the point where it began explaining that I would keep moving fast even once disabling Travel mode, I started goofing around and swinging my vehicle around for a little bit trying things. Wasn't able to progress the tutorial after that, and couldn't Travel again if I remember correctly. Restarted tutorial, didn't goof around, everything was fine. No clue how to replicate.

Spacesuit

I struggled with this one at first and was taking A LOT of time to progress along... but once inside the station, I was told to open the door using the panel and I'd either repaired it too fast or too slow or something, because the door didn't open, but the quest progressed anyways. It was telling me to break the locks behind a closed door about 18m away, and trying to repair the panel or anything beside me didn't do anything. I repeated the tutorial, this time being much faster at following along with the objectives and nothing bugged out.

Though, when I had to return to the ship and re-enter in, I'm not sure if it was clear enough or if I missed something, but I couldn't figure out how to enter the ship and after pressing a bunch of buttons or flying around looking for a way to get in, I gave up and looked on Google how to solve the tutorial.

Object Deployment (I think this belongs here?)

I started a new "Terran Cadet" campaign and within the first few minutes I'm asked to replace a missing satellite. I didn't know how to do that, so I started the tutorial from the help menu and followed along until I learned how to deploy a satellite. I deployed the satellite during the tutorial, then cancelled the tutorial to return to the main game, but the quest didn't progress. I deployed a few more satellites in the area but still didn't progress. Not yet knowing how to pick up satellites, I didn't try to, and instead restarted the game and started a new campaign, this time not activating the tutorial since I now know how to deploy satellites, and it worked fine. Seems tutorial/cancel-related.

--

I haven't tried to replicate any of these, but all of them didn't occur when I already knew what to do and seemed to be the result of making mistakes while trying to figure things out. Initially left an awful impression, but since getting into the main game I've had no issues other than that initial satellite drop but I'm no longer wanting to use these tutorials because I fear they'll break my game (the help menu ones) and instead I'm just relying on Google from now on.

bruunz
x4

[Feedback][7.00 Beta 2] New Weapons and Turrets Tutorial

Post by bruunz » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 04:35

Hi,

Voice lines do not play for turret mode explanation for:
Attack my current enemy
Mining

This tutorial could also be clearer or needs to be corrected for the step - "Assign each primary weapon to its own group"
Enabling the missile launcher in Primary Group does not trigger the next step.

Suggestion:
Either ignore the missile launcher configuration.
or
Specifically tell the player to assign the Plasma, Beam and Ion to a specific group so they do not attempt to assign the missile launcher to a primary group.
or
Explain to leave the missile launcher in the secondary group only
or
Highlight specifically what the player should click

quaido
x4

Re: [7.00 Beta 1] Travel Mode Tutorial Using keyboard and Mouse

Post by quaido » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 16:17

pithica42 wrote:
Fri, 5. Apr 24, 03:10
I had the same experience using keyboard and mouse. I completed the strafe step after engaging/disengaging the travel mode and it asked me to re-activate it, but it wouldn't let me reactivate with either Shift+1 or the Escape/Ship Options menu (the mode is grayed out).
I am experiencing the same problem.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 18:14

Hopefully this is in the right place as I did search the forums extensively before posting ha.

I am unable to complete the 'combat' tutorial which is the last one in the "basic tutorials". I've tried it 3 times and each time, it has me destroy the cargo drones with gunfire and eventually launchers but the mission never concludes. Once I destroy all the drones, nothing happens. It's like a step is still missing or something is not triggered to either progress or finish the mission. I am not using any mods and made sure to do a clean install for the 7.0 Beta, so everything is vanilla. Feel free to DM me here or on Steam if you need any more information. Thanks for your time and all the wonderful work you do for X4!
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

Arisaya
x4

Post by Arisaya » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 20:16

Combat tutorial does not complete:
* Perform tutorial steps up until a drone drops the the heavy tracking missiles.
* A voiceline will play about the missiles being a different type
* No objective exists past this point, but I presume that what was supposed to happen is that you get introduced to swapping ammo types

Combat scenario (boron vs xenon) says player is a terran 'tay knotes' despite everyone else being a boron? Also it too cannot be completed:
* Perform various objectives up until the destroy the turrets on the K objective
* destroy the turrets on the K
* the objective switches back to 'defense' and never progresses beyond that point. The K also cannot be killed, unable to go below 70% damage.

Blitz4
x4

beta test

Post by Blitz4 » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 09:02

went in through the tutorial missions. had no issue until the gate tutorial and decided to skip that one. then had an issue with the next one for combat, after using my missiles it said 1 inactive mission, but all missions were active in the hud.

dropped out of beta. hope that helps someone. it's important the tutorial is super smooth since it's indicated (possibly required) you go through the tutorial to get to the game.

the gate tutorial needs help. you are in a trade ship. so you can't see. but the game doesn't teach you anything about your camera beforehand or even explain that you're in a trade ship, why it's slower, the advantages of different ship classes, etc. even in the gate tutorial he mentions the slowness of the in-sector gates to allow him to "enjoy the view" but without teaching the player how to look around, it comes off sounding like he's defending something (an excuse). also when you exit the tube you keep flying in one direction past the other tube and then you're told to enter the tube you just flew over "right in front of you" when you're 20km from it and have a top speed of 600km travel drive. it needs help.

I say copy how people play x4 and then put everything they do in a tutorial. don't leave anything out. if they use autopilot only, then tell the player to use autopilot only. if there's a divide, then that means people find the different methods fun. so explain to the player all of the various ways to solve the problem and let them choose.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Sat, 13. Apr 24, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with feedback request topic in public beta forum, where all beta feedback should be posted

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”